Question for the VA High folks

Jason

I was at the travel football game Saturday at Gene Malcolm. I talked to some of the VA High coaches and was told their travel teams paid $400 a game to play there. Said Bristol first wanted $1100 but they were able to get it dropped to $400. My question is how much does the High School team have to pay to play there. Only curious. 

That would be a question for Brad Harper, the AD or someone in the Bristol Parks and Rec Dept.

This illustrates an interesting problem that Virginia High, Union, and Graham (I'm assuming on those last two) all have: playing in stadiums the school does not own

2 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

That would be a question for Brad Harper, the AD or someone in the Bristol Parks and Rec Dept.

This illustrates an interesting problem that Virginia High, Union, and Graham (I'm assuming on those last two) all have: playing in stadiums the school does not own

Graham (the TCSB) pays something like 45k per year to play in Mitchell. That may have changed recently. 

Graham pays 50k, Bluefield 38k, Bluefield College 60k. Bluefield gets a discount due to taxes paid by Bluefield citizens to the city of Bluefield. If VA High gets to use the stadium for 1k then that is one hell of a deal.

I've never understood this argument that teams like Bluefield and Graham are coming out somewhat even.  On the surface of it, it looks like 50 K for Graham and 38K for Bluefield are about even since the citizens of Bluefield, WV, do pay taxes to the city of course.  But, it's actually not even and not even close and here is why....

Where does the 50K each game for Graham for a total of 250K on average per year plus the 38K for Bluefeld each game for an average of 190K per year go?  The above totals on average for the season just for the rent is about 440 thousand.  That money goes BACK into Mercer County.  Be it the City of Bluefield, WV or if not the City of Bluefield, WV, then Mercer County, WV.  The citizens of Bluefield, WV, live in Mercer County; therefore, they are still getting the benefits.  Tazewell County (Graham) is coming out definitely on the short end of the stick when one looks at it this way.  If anything, the folks in Tazewell County to include not just Graham, but Richlands and Tazewell are getting screwed over because this hurts those 2 schools funding.  Additionally, other Mercer County Schools, such as Montcalm, Pikeview, and Princeton are reaping the benefits and happy with Mitchell Stadium because those schools are getting a piece of that pie IF, and again, IF that money goes to the county.  If the money goes only to the city of Bluefield, then the more the better for the Beavers.  Either way, it's money going to Mercer County, WV..  In summary, the so called 38K paid by Graham and 50K paid by Bluefield truly aren't anything in the ballpark and not close to a true cost-benefit for each school when you look at the monetary gain for all of Mercer County because their economy is still being reinvested in, even with the 38K by Bluefield, but Tazewell County gains nothing.  It's cost effective it seems for Tazewell County/Bluefield, VA/Graham-whoever to build a stadium of their own in the long run in that they are not just hurting their own economies and funds, they are actually helping a neighboring state and county capitalize on them.

As for Union, I don't even want to talk about that screw up on behalf of Wise County, VA and Big Stone Gap.  It's a mess, and their issue shouldn't be as complex because it's at least in the same state.  Union's situation would be comparable to Bluefield's.  There's the whole Mercer County vs City of Bluefield thing I'm sure. 

6 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I've never understood this argument that teams like Bluefield and Graham are coming out somewhat even.  On the surface of it, it looks like 50 K for Graham and 38K for Bluefield are about even since the citizens of Bluefield, WV, do pay taxes to the city of course.  But, it's actually not even and not even close and here is why....

Where does the 50K each game for Graham for a total of 250K on average per year plus the 38K for Bluefeld each game for an average of 190K per year go?  The above totals on average for the season just for the rent is about 440 thousand.  That money goes BACK into Mercer County.  Be it the City of Bluefield, WV or if not the City of Bluefield, WV, then Mercer County, WV.  The citizens of Bluefield, WV, live in Mercer County; therefore, they are still getting the benefits.  Tazewell County (Graham) is coming out definitely on the short end of the stick when one looks at it this way.  If anything, the folks in Tazewell County to include not just Graham, but Richlands and Tazewell are getting screwed over because this hurts those 2 schools funding.  Additionally, other Mercer County Schools, such as Montcalm, Pikeview, and Princeton are reaping the benefits and happy with Mitchell Stadium because those schools are getting a piece of that pie IF, and again, IF that money goes to the county.  If the money goes only to the city of Bluefield, then the more the better for the Beavers.  Either way, it's money going to Mercer County, WV..  In summary, the so called 38K paid by Graham and 50K paid by Bluefield truly aren't anything in the ballpark and not close to a true cost-benefit for each school when you look at the monetary gain for all of Mercer County because their economy is still being reinvested in, even with the 38K by Bluefield, but Tazewell County gains nothing.  It's cost effective it seems for Tazewell County/Bluefield, VA/Graham-whoever to build a stadium of their own in the long run in that they are not just hurting their own economies and funds, they are actually helping a neighboring state and county capitalize on them.

As for Union, I don't even want to talk about that screw up on behalf of Wise County, VA and Big Stone Gap.  It's a mess, and their issue shouldn't be as complex because it's at least in the same state.  Union's situation would be comparable to Bluefield's.  There's the whole Mercer County vs City of Bluefield thing I'm sure. 

It's 50K for the entire season, not per game

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

Union has a very sweet deal, as did PV and before that Big Stone Gap-----$1 whole dollar, but now it translates to pay enough to cover costs of police overtime , lights , water, the town pays for the upkeep including new visitor seats(tornado destroyed others, and lights). Total cost would be less than $500 per game, that may be different in playoff games where the VHSL takes gate receipts, no screwup just tradition since the early 1930's

2 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Less time typing,more time reading.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Considering that the FieldTurf in itself costs around $750,000 for installation and maintenance and has durability of about 8-10 years, the money's well spent on just the playing surface alone.

When its not plowed over like a adult movie star...

I know it has been brought up before but will all that happened with Mitchell this year and now the fire is lit again, realistically what would it take for Graham to have their own stadium?  How many years to pay off at the 50k per year rate?  Would keeping all their concessions help?

You don't get to keep the 50k. You have to mow the grass or repair field turf, pay utilities, repair plumbing, repair bleachers, replace lighting (apparently a problem at Mitchell), maintain fencing, maintain a press box and P. A. system, maintain a scoreboard, clean up after events, maintain a parking lot, maintain a track. You have to provide security for games. You will have everybody wanting to use the facility which increases the frequency or expense of all of the above. You also have to pay the contractors and/or employees that perform these tasks. You now may want your soccer games at the new field and you will have to cover that cost as well. IDK if there is a cost at East River for soccer at this time.

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

I know it has been brought up before but will all that happened with Mitchell this year and now the fire is lit again, realistically what would it take for Graham to have their own stadium?  How many years to pay off at the 50k per year rate?  Would keeping all their concessions help?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beating a dead horse

I probably think that there is enough money floating around Bluefield to build a stadium worthy of Graham, John Bowerbank would probably help with the turf, and Coke would give you a scoreboard if you serve crisp, refreshing Coca-Cola to all your thirsty patrons. Papa John's would kick in at the concession stand just so you didn't have to eat Pizza Hut pizza. Elizabethton High School should be the model for everyone to follow and if they can build that in Carter County and in Elizabethton they can do it in Bluefield. 

33 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Papa John's would kick in at the concession stand just so you didn't have to eat Pizza Hut pizza.

Papa Johns is a 2-bit, second rate failed attempt at pizza. Not saying Pizza Hut is the best, but it’s miles ahead of the crap Papa Johns tries to pass off as pizza. 

24 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Dude calm down, It's just pizza. I go to Italian Village to get my fix. Until the Tri-Cities gets a Brixx Pizza!

I am calm. I’m just passionate about how horrible PJ’s is HahHa.