Free admission to the Bluefield-Woodrow Wilson game Friday

EH31

"The City of Bluefield and Bluefield High School are excited to invite the public to Mitchell Stadium Friday evening to attend the football game between Bluefield High School and Woodrow Wilson High School, and to celebrate Mitchell Stadium’s designation as “America’s Best High School Football Stadium.”

West Virginia Governor Jim Justice will be attending and will read a proclamation at halftime.

Bluefield High School appreciates the support of everyone across the two Virginias that supported Mitchell Stadium, and has waived the admission fee for the game, so attendance will be free.

The City of Bluefield is sponsoring a fireworks display immediately after the game."

39 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Oh how the tides have changed... 

It wasn't that long ago everyone on the Virginia side was writing off Mitchell and building their own stadium.

😂😂😂 

I have been thinking the same thing. A little fame and notieriaty tends to make people forget things.

I just hope the Governor doesn't eat at the Big Whiskey BBQ before the game, get to Mitchell and get the Big Whiskey sh@!s and not be able to flush a grown man's crap down the toilet up there. 

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

It wasn't that long ago everyone on the Virginia side was writing off Mitchell and building their own stadium.

I personally would still like Graham to have that new complex...just sayin’  I voted my thumbs off though to help Mitchell Stadium beat those Texans 😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I personally would still like Graham to have that new complex...just sayin’  I voted my thumbs off though to help Mitchell Stadium beat those Texans 😂😂😂😂

I haven't heard anything in a while.  New complex on hold, canceled, or will be built?

16 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I haven't heard anything in a while.  New complex on hold, canceled, or will be built?

From what I heard this was a classic case of "Putting the cart before the horse". The town was going to build a stadium on the Leatherwood property. Long story short they didn't own the property nor was the owners willing to sell. 

I'm sure the powers that be that are involved in the inner workings of Bluefield Va politics may have a better explanation though.

3 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

I hope Graham builds it's own stadium. Not a dang thing has changed with me. Graham fans don't dislike the Stadium itself. It's an incredible place to play, but what many fans can't stand is the Highway Grand Theft Robbery in the form of money required for rent. That part hasn't changed regardless of the stadium being ranked first.

Regarding the free admission, do you really think the folks in Mercer County are doing this out of their hearts and as a grand celebration of the Stadium new ranking by allowing free entrance for the Beckley game? Folks, it's always about the money. It actually makes sense to allow free admission for this particular game at this particular time and here is why......

It's going to be very cold and Beckley has won only 1 game. They are horrible and everyone knows Beaver's starters aren't playing but one half at most. Beckley will not have over 200 people. Because of that, the county knows attendance will be very, very low and gate money will be shotty and way low. You have gate sales and concession sales.  So, by allowing free attendance, they are planning on the free attendance adding to the amount of people that would have otherwise not attended, and by doing so, they are counting on concession sales to make up for what they they already know will be a low money intake game.

Considering the cold, and the weak opponent and knowing attendance would be very very low, this move at this time with the recent vote of Number 1 Vote for the stadium probably makes financial sense to allow free admission.

I think Graham needs their own stadium.  The Graham-Bluefield game could still be played at Mitchell each year fcr the big crowd. (Rent it for one game when Graham is home). The money from the gate would bring in enough to pay for that, then some.  There is room to build a stadium beside the school.  Maybe the town could go in on something with the school like they did with the gyms behind the school.  Would be nice for the youth leagues to have somewhere nice to play too.

5 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

The threat to build our own facility was over the fact that the City of Bluefield was trying to raise the rental of the field to $75,000/year.  The City backed off once the Town of Bluefield announced their plans.  It had zero to do with "writing off" the stadium.  The one's who tried to write off the stadium was the City of Bluefield when they attempted to let the Mercer Co School Board take over the facili

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

50K is a steal for use of the stadium for Graham and the Middle School. You can't even begin to maintain a stadium for that price for a year.

True but $75,000 was the breaking point...

And to have "fee admission" to the game on Friday only hurts Bluefield High School.  Even if only 500 people show up for the game, they are going to lose $2,500 in gate fees that go into their athletic coffer.  May not hurt the football team, but it will certainly hurt baseball/softball/track...

I think Graham should build a stadium because of the simple desire and threat to raise it to 75K. Graham's bluff to build a stadium kept it from getting that high, but the very threat of doing so would be enough for me to build a stadium. The reason being and in my opinion, 50k is not a steal. Graham keeps the stadium open and in use. Without Graham, the stadium can't survive and you would see Bluefield High talking about where they are going to play if Graham ever backed out.

From a financial standpoint, Graham playing at Bluefield is a huge commodity, and Mercer County should be more grateful. Bluefield High and Mercer County needs for Graham to play there MORE than Graham and Tazewell County needs Graham to play there. I think that point has been driven home in the last 2 years and maybe, just.maybe, Mercer County and Bluefield, WV, understand this point.

But in my opinion, 50k is a rip off. It should be 30-35k based on what Graham brings to the table. Many many years ago, Graham playing at Mitchell was kind of a privalege for Graham, and Graham and Tazewell County needed Graham to play there more than what Bluefield and Mercer County needed. In today's time, it's nowhere close and that paradigm has changed. Mercer Co. and Bluefield need Graham to play there and it's more of privalege for Mercer County and Bluefield to have Graham playing there. Your value should be your worth. Graham is "worth" more for Mercer County to be paying far less than 50k from a Tazewell County perspective. If Graham chooses not to play there, the lights go out and the Beaver's are left scrambling on what to do. That very construct is a a pure defition of monetary value that Graham has.

15 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I think Graham should build a stadium because of the simple desire and threat to raise it to 75K. Graham's bluff to build a stadium kept it from getting that high, but the very threat of doing so would be enough for me to build a stadium. The reason being and in my opinion, 50k is not a steal. Graham keeps the stadium open and in use. Without Graham, the stadium can't survive and you would see Bluefield High talking about where they are going to play if Graham ever backed out.

From a financial standpoint, Graham playing at Bluefield is a huge commodity, and Mercer County should be more grateful. Bluefield High and Mercer County needs for Graham to play there MORE than Graham and Tazewell County needs Graham to play there. I think that point has been driven home in the last 2 years and maybe, just.maybe, Mercer County and Bluefield, WV, understand this point.

But in my opinion, 50k is a rip off. It should be 30-35k based on what Graham brings to the table. Many many years ago, Graham playing at Mitchell was kind of a privalege for Graham, and Graham and Tazewell County needed Graham to play there more than what Bluefield and Mercer County needed. In today's time, it's nowhere close and that paradigm has changed. Mercer Co. and Bluefield need Graham to play there and it's more of privalege for Mercer County and Bluefield to have Graham playing there. Your value should be your worth. Graham is "worth" more for Mercer County to be paying far less than 50k from a Tazewell County perspective. If Graham chooGrahamses not to play there, the lights go out and the Beaver's are left scrambling on what to do. That very construct is a a pure defition of monetary value that Graham has.

If Graham wants to build its own stadium . I as a Bluefield fan would like to donate the first 100 dollars to getting it done.

1 hour ago, crazyFB said:

If Graham wants to build its own stadium . I as a Bluefield fan would like to donate the first 100 dollars to getting it done.

Brother, if you truly had any knowledge of the damage that would come Bluefields way if Graham ever left Mitchell, you wouldn't say that. If Graham leaves Mitchell, guess who else is leaving Mitchell with about 12 months? That's right, it's Bluefield. They can't keep the stadium open without 2 schools, and 2 schools and 1 small college are barely enough to keep it floating.