GC at Union Part 2

Union_Fan

GC is fully healthy. Union is not. The Blue Devils' fastest kids did not play the first game which will give them an alternative to #45, who ran all over the Bears in the regular season. While going all in to stop #45, I wouldn't be surprised to see some tosses to #11 or 12 go for big gains.

The Bears will have to have an answer early for the big RB if they hope to move one. I think this will be a good game for a 1st rounder.

Thoughts?

First of all I'm looking at Gate City and they have well improved in a lot of areas.

I feel that this game is going to go down to who ever has the ball last in the 4th quarter. If you was at the game last night then you saw Travis plug in another dimension of the offense...or the things they can do. In saying that, I feel they have to do the same thing on defense. Something that Gate City hasn't seen on tape or experienced first hand to study for.

I hope with all the battle tested games that we had this year...the experience will help us move forward into the playoffs.

"GC is healthy. Union is not", that says a lot right there. GC has to be feeling like this game is their shot at a signature win to stabling that they are a program on the rise. 

Two big FBs carrying the ball in old school offensive attacks, should be fun but both offenses are gonna have to add a wrinkle or two to win IMO.

Could go either way but not by more than a TD

The true test will be on the defensive side of the ball. GC has struggled in that department all year and Union has not. I think you are going to see more wrinkles in the offense from Union as well, which in my opinion is going to be a game changer. We had a little taste of it last night and the dividends were there. Yes it was Battle but man Polier running at tailback and getting to the edge....look out!

The indicators and "feel" of this game is that it will be very close with GC actually having a very reasonable chance of winning. I have always liked and respected GC. But.........I'm going the other way here. It's playoff time and Union will rise to the occasion. Union will win by 21-24 points and win handily, and the young Jenkins has his biggest game by Turner getting him the ball in open space and he will carve up the GC secondary. I think Union does not take the ball and run it at will down the field for scores. I think it's a game where Union scores with mostly big plays. Jenkins (I'm assuming is healthy) will come up big on offense and special teams.

Union 34, GC 13

On 11/9/2019 at 10:45 AM, UNION#ATW said:

First of all I'm looking at Gate City and they have well improved in a lot of areas.

I feel that this game is going to go down to who ever has the ball last in the 4th quarter. If you was at the game last night then you saw Travis plug in another dimension of the offense...or the things they can do. In saying that, I feel they have to do the same thing on defense. Something that Gate City hasn't seen on tape or experienced first hand to study for.

I hope with all the battle tested games that we had this year...the experience will help us move forward into the playoffs.

no disrespect but what did we do differently? It looked the same to me, we just made more chunk plays Friday than we did the past few weeks. There were a couple more kids got carries sure, but that seems to be the only thing to me that was different. Horton and CJ got carries a carry or two against Abingdon but was nice to see them get 5-7 carries the other night. Along with Honeycutt

51 minutes ago, UnionBears84 said:

no disrespect but what did we do differently? It looked the same to me, we just made more chunk plays Friday than we did the past few weeks. There were a couple more kids got carries sure, but that seems to be the only thing to me that was different. Horton and CJ got carries a carry or two against Abingdon but was nice to see them get 5-7 carries the other night. Along with Honeycutt

We ran the I with double tight flanker formation.

28 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

We ran the I with double tight flanker formation.

I know that. But how did we get our other pieces involved? I think everyone would like to see us run some different things to get all of these other kids involved in the offense. But the coaches coach, I understand that. 

3 hours ago, UnionBears84 said:

What I was trying to say is that, when the offense has 2 or 3 formations... The defense can't key on certain things when they see it..

On the other hand them young players that got playing time is  looking impressive for UNION🙌🏈💪

16 hours ago, GMEN94 said:

Who all does Union have hurt and are they out for the playoffs?

Starting tailbacks Lomax #3 and Guerrant #24. Both also play linebacker. Lomax is out for the season with a broken leg suffered against Paintsville and Guerrant is absolutely battered. Hes a senior so he is gutting out a shoulder injury that would have normally ended anybody else's season. He's tough as nails but he hasn't been much of a factor in the running game. Couple of our offensive linemen are dealing with some knicks and bruises but are playing through. Glad a lot of those guys got much needed rest last week against Battle.

1 hour ago, UnionBears84 said:

Starting tailbacks Lomax #3 and Guerrant #24. Both also play linebacker. Lomax is out for the season with a broken leg suffered against Paintsville and Guerrant is absolutely battered. Hes a senior so he is gutting out a shoulder injury that would have normally ended anybody else's season. He's tough as nails but he hasn't been much of a factor in the running game. Couple of our offensive linemen are dealing with some knicks and bruises but are playing through. Glad a lot of those guys got much needed rest last week against Battle.

Hopefully they can get rested and healthy. I hate to see teams not be at full strength during the playoffs. 

Union weather banged up or not is comes to one thing. How bad do they really want it. We have got what it takes to beat anyone and we have already proved it . Focus on going 1and 0 dont look forward buckle your chin strap and knock the hell out of someone an play ball !! GO BEARS 

3 hours ago, big ugly vol said:

I just didn't see what everybody else is talking about with Gate City. One dimensional and not as big as advertised. If union is that banged up though, the Devils may have a shot. Maybe Union looks into round two and gets caught? 

Gate City has the talent. They do have a couple big uglies up front in Kert Gibson and Logan Davidson and two big backs in Calhoun and Tomlinson to go along with some other scat backs like Jenkins and Mack. Blanton is a tough runner and Reed is capable of making plays at quarterback. Gate City has normally played us tough with the exception of a few games 

Union is not going to win a state title, probably ever! But they are good enough to win this game even banged up a little. If Gate City had any depth at all they would be an upset threat but they just get to worn down to finish games.. I want to be wrong but the head is smarter than the heart. 

31 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Union is not going to win a state title, probably ever! But they are good enough to win this game even banged up a little. If Gate City had any depth at all they would be an upset threat but they just get to worn down to finish games.. I want to be wrong but the head is smarter than the heart. 

Ever? That's like saying GC will never have a wining team again. You are right on one thing Union wins this one.

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Ever? That's like saying GC will never have a wining team again. You are right on one thing Union wins this one.

I believe Union's shot was with Mitchell and Co. With the exception of a few schools in our area I just don't think that athlete for athlete the talent is there to win a title, 2A is pretty much dominated by the Lynchburg area schools and looks to be that way for a long while.

38 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I believe Union's shot was with Mitchell and Co. With the exception of a few schools in our area I just don't think that athlete for athlete the talent is there to win a title, 2A is pretty much dominated by the Lynchburg area schools and looks to be that way for a long while.

We blew a great chance in 2015 due to playoff injuries and a less than adequate defensive coordinator. 2017 was definitely a missed opportunity. If any 1 of three plays had gone our way in the Appo game, we would have been playing for a state championship game and I truly believe we would have won.

For the future, if our current roster of 7-11 graders stay the course, we will have a couple more shots at a championship. Time will tell.

10 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

We blew a great chance in 2015 due to playoff injuries and a less than adequate defensive coordinator. 2017 was definitely a missed opportunity. If any 1 of three plays had gone our way in the Appo game, we would have been playing for a state championship game and I truly believe we would have won.

For the future, if our current roster of 7-11 graders stay the course, we will have a couple more shots at a championship. Time will tell.

I hope they can because it brings attention to Southwest Virginia. But it just getting harder and harder because of the student populations and employment situation..

2 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I hope they can because it brings attention to Southwest Virginia. But it just getting harder and harder because of the student populations and employment situation..

It is, and Wise Co, among others, are losing enrollment every year. Definitely not where things were 20-30 years ago.