GC at Union Part 2

Union_Fan

21 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I hope they can because it brings attention to Southwest Virginia. But it just getting harder and harder because of the student populations and employment situation..

Not sure the teams in SWVA are that greatly mismatched since realignment in 2013. Yes Appomattox won 3 straight but 3 teams west of Roanoke won also.

image.png.61d02df6374ff0a3032cf7dbb2e1bb15.png

23 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

We blew a great chance in 2015 due to playoff injuries and a less than adequate defensive coordinator. 2017 was definitely a missed opportunity. If any 1 of three plays had gone our way in the Appo game, we would have been playing for a state championship game and I truly believe we would have won.

For the future, if our current roster of 7-11 graders stay the course, we will have a couple more shots at a championship. Time will tell.

Defensive Coord?  The one at Eastside now?

16 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

I am surprised that people think this will be close. No disrespect to either team, but I watched Gate City get throttled against George Wythe. Unless union is a shell of the team that I watched play Ridgeview and Gate city has greatly improved, I just don't see it as a close game. 

GC wasn't fully healthy until a few weeks ago, so I would imagine they are improved compared to their performance at GW. As for Union, they are still trying to figure some things out in regards to the injuries(both major and minor). Also, GC has played the Bears tough in the past when not expected to win. 2012(first half), 2013, '15, and '16 all come to mind, in addition to this year's regular season game. It started off looking like a blowout for Union and ended up a 2 score game.

I also think this game is going to be close...Gate City always play's Union tuff...But I know for sure the BEARS are putting plenty of work in this week preparing for the game...        🙌💪🏈

GC also has a knack for losing to Union/PV in the regular season, sometimes badly, and still knocking the team from BSG out of the playoffs. That was a couple coaches ago for GC, but the new regime has GC going right way. Union can't prepare for them off the gametape v. GC first meeting, they'll be totally different Friday with the players back.

1 hour ago, UnionBears84 said:

Hopefully the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are cut down in the playoffs. This team would have beaten Paintsville if it wasnt for a couple of critical penalties and it's almost cost them in a few other games. 

I think it's a little too late to fix the penalty problem.  They've had 11 weeks and hadn't fixed it yet but they have gotten it down to five 15 yarders per game so that's a little bit of improvement.

Union is 3-2 vs Teams with winning records on the season and already has a win over GC on the season

GC is 1-5 vs Teams with a winning record  but finished the year up with a a strong 3-1 over the last month of the season.

Lets not kid anyone Union is the better team in this matchup BUT with both teams favoring long time consuming drives a team could end up only seeing the ball 5 or 6 times in the whole ballgame in a game like that turnovers and penaltys are magnified greatly. to win this one GC needs to not turn the ball over and hope Union continues to have 8-10 flags to kill there drives of ectent GCs

If this was another team, I would be less wary. But GC has a history of upsetting more talented teams from BSG and with both teams playing time consuming ball, one or two mistakes could lose the game..

In 2017, Union was clearly the best team in Region D (I would argue all of 2A) and barely got by a 4-6 Richlands team they handled earlier in the year. If Union isn't 100% ready to go, GC can absolutely win.

BigWinners, 2001 was a year that Gate City knocked Powell Valley out in the Region D championship, after losing to them in OT I. the regular season. Although their records were close then and that Gate City team was tough as they come! 

If Union don't out fired up and ready to play, Gate City has the chance to pull the upset!!! You can bet your A** on it that Houseright has this team fired up and ready to play and all of them believing they will leave the Park with a win!

41 minutes ago, #BBN said:

BigWinners, 2001 was a year that Gate City knocked Powell Valley out in the Region D championship, after losing to them in OT I. the regular season. Although their records were close then and that Gate City team was tough as they come! 

If Union don't out fired up and ready to play, Gate City has the chance to pull the upset!!! You can bet your A** on it that Houseright has this team fired up and ready to play and all of them believing they will leave the Park with a win!

oh yeah, I remember 2001 very well. Do you still give your big TE crap for dropping that pass? lol