Union/Ridgeview

Gridiron60

58 minutes ago, Unchained said:

The legality of the train horn isn't measured in decibels. Airhorns and cowbells while quieter are just as illegal. I love the train horn,but I'm not saavy with it blaring during live action. blare it when we score,when we enter the field...etc

I'm not debating the "legality."  I didn't infer about the "legality of decibel level."  What I inferred was.....if you are a Union fan, stop sidestepping and pissing in the wind about what is the obvious.  That is......it's a moral wrong to blow a train horn during the snap.  At least, the majority of normal humans likely feel that way; otherwise, it would be far, far more common.  

We agree on a portion of your post and your statement, "I'm not savvy with it blaring during live action."  Well, I kind of disagree on that also.  I think you should be a firm NO, and not "savvy."  Also, I am ok with the train horn blaring during the middle of the play.  It may sound weird, but I'm fine with it.  Blaring during the middle of the play doesn't give the D an advantage.  The snap count is a no brainer.  If the ball is snapped and your defense is accustomed to the train horn and it fires them up, then fire 3 train horns during the middle of the play.  That's fine.  

Any Union fan with common sense knows that what opponents are complaining about is not your train horn during the game.  They are complaining about it during the snap, and some, not most, not all, but some Union fans have tried to shift the goal posts in this argument over the years to make it sound like opponents are arguing against the train horn all together.  You and I both know they aren't arguing that. 

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

In that way they add to games, used constantly they draw attention away from the players and the game, and to adults.

What's gonna end up happening is Union is gonna get a warning and a 15yd penalty at a real inopportune time. Then the crying will really start

I sat near the train horn Friday night.   Believe me there was plenty enough crying/bellyaching with Union in the lead, and the horn blaring, to go around already.  It couldn't make it any worse.

32 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What if union side got tons of the noise makers from say, the karate kid,  but made of metal! Bahahaha  ring all night

The nose makers are already banned at larger stadiums and have been for a while. I remember when Clintwood played Galax and the pa their announced it several times during the game at Salem! I've seen signs at the DB stadium in Kingsport (don't know if they enforce it though). Like has been said the horn shouldn't be blown during pre play. If you want to ban the $2 air horns to that's fine. They don't impact the game. Just the hearing of the people sitting next to them! 

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

I sat near the train horn Friday night.   Believe me there was plenty enough crying/bellyaching with Union in the lead, and the horn blaring, to go around already.  It couldn't make it any worse.

You came to a Union game and didn’t stand with me? I’m hurt, we could’ve debated whether or not illegal touching occurred. FWIW, I’ve watched the film and still can’t tell if it was a handoff or “pass”.

3 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

Ah ok. I was always under the impression it becomes school grounds once the event starts.

I guess if you want quietness go to church or a funeral. NFHS streams the games every week 

Wasn’t trying to make any point just letting you know how it worked, kinda like a lease type deal($1 per year, football the school system paid 1/2 of the rubberized track re surface) like the no smoking at a high school event, we don’t enforce it because of it being a public park and we have no ordinance for that but if you are smoking in the stands we will. The VHSL gave us some grief about playoff games  several years ago but then we reminded them how much UVA at Wise charged them several years ago we charged $0 . We really don’t have any conflicts with Union , we work really well together but like I said we retain full authority there even during said games…..useless but true info

39 minutes ago, pvfan said:

You came to a Union game and didn’t stand with me? I’m hurt, we could’ve debated whether or not illegal touching occurred. FWIW, I’ve watched the film and still can’t tell if it was a handoff or “pass”.

Yeah I'm offended too. Zero chance he didn't see my big ass rumbling around down there with yall, he didn't even bother to stop by. I see how it is @1in Stripes,

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

What if union side got tons of the noise makers from say, the karate kid,  but made of metal! Bahahaha  ring all night

I'm all for it.  Let em out loud.  Air horns, pixxy sticks or whatever they call them, cowbells, etc.  No big deal other than maybe being annoying to your own fellow fan setting beside you, but they don't come close to impacting the game like a train horn.  I should restate that.  Train horns don't impact the game either in my opinion.  The one exception is the one we've talked about, during the snap count.  Heck, have a jet engine.  I don't care.  Fire the jet engine during the play, but just simply don't do when the team leaves the huddle and until the ball is snapped.  If Union would get this concept down, people would stop bit**ing about it.  And yes, if it is fired during the snap count, it's something very reasonable to bi*ch about.

One last thing.  You Union fans should raise holy hades if the town actually tries to get rid of the train horn and ban it completely.  That's absolutely ABSURD.  If you are smart about it, you should already plan, as in plan right now to write up rules or (standard operating procedures) or whatever you want to call it for the person in charge of the horn and have it clearly laid out where you will not blow it during the snap count, and by being proactive, you are ready on site to speak at the town hall meeting to state your case.  If you want to really be proactive, get about 1,000 signatures before you go to the town to speak, and reemphasize that point to the town council so they don't go overboard and try to get rid of it all together.  The train horn is AWESOME.  I'm serious, I would get a couple more.  But, by blowing it during the snap count, you are bringing this on yourselves, or at least you are putting yourselves in a situation that may not be a fair outcome for the train horns existence.  That would be sad to remove it.

9 hours ago, pvfan said:

I saw you come walking in.  We came to support a young man in the band who is a big fan of our softball girls.

I havent tried finding a replay, but live I thought it was a handoff the moment it happened.  It got really interesting to me once the play was over.

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah I'm offended too. Zero chance he didn't see my big ass rumbling around down there with yall, he didn't even bother to stop by. I see how it is @1in Stripes,

While I did see @pvfan I cant say that I saw you, but unusual for myself, a family marked off some seats for a bunch of us as of who we were there to support and I stayed put for the most part.  It usually makes my wife mad that I get up and make sure I say Hi to people at games and tend to never sit anywhere in particular but last Friday I did.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, 1inStripes said:

I saw you come walking in.  We came to support a young man in the band who is a big fan of our softball girls.

I havent tried finding a replay, but live I thought it was a handoff the moment it happened.  It got really interesting to me once the play was over.

After the night in the "Crow's Nest" at Rye Cove, I never thought you and I would be hearing impaired at the same venue again. What's louder the music at Rye Cove High School with no fans during a pandemic for basketball or the train horn?

1 hour ago, pvfan said:

After the night in the "Crow's Nest" at Rye Cove, I never thought you and I would be hearing impaired at the same venue again. What's louder the music at Rye Cove High School with no fans during a pandemic for basketball or the train horn?

Both are all about location, location, location.  If I can ever get the main sound system setup for RC they may take the edge.

If you make the trip to the Cove this winter I may have you a headset to join me on a broadcast.

5 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Both are all about location, location, location.  If I can ever get the main sound system setup for RC they may take the edge.

If you make the trip to the Cove this winter I may have you a headset to join me on a broadcast.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get my ear muffs

On 10/14/2021 at 7:33 AM, 1inStripes said:

While I did see @pvfan I cant say that I saw you, but unusual for myself, a family marked off some seats for a bunch of us as of who we were there to support and I stayed put for the most part.  It usually makes my wife mad that I get up and make sure I say Hi to people at games and tend to never sit anywhere in particular but last Friday I did.

smh,.im not a small dude how in the world did you miss me? I stood right beside pvfan.