Bluefield at Ridgeview

Beavers Rule

On 10/28/2021 at 8:33 PM, GilesDavis4321 said:

Wow!  Would love to go see the Beavers and Wolfpack play, but can't get there.  I see where its on NFHS, so I'm definitely turning in.. Lots of talk about Beavers team speed and that it is, but Beavers (the other Beavers-Ridgeview's Beavers) has some serious jets of his own. 

They forgot how to get the ball to him. 

10 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It doesn’t matter what the thread is, Graham and Union will get mentioned 😂

Very true. It's called being relevant, like people are still talking about the KC Chiefs. LOL

7 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

They forgot how to get the ball to him. He only has a couple of catches in last two games.

Kid needs touches.  End Arounds, hitches, bubbles, tunnels, etc.  Should be a rule at Ridgeview High.  Beavers is touching the ball 10 times per game, not attempts or thrown at 10 times, but he's touching it 10 times per game.  And somebody on the sidelines needs a little checklist that has 10 tick marks to check off.  Absolutely electric is Beavers.  

2 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Kid needs touches.  End Arounds, hitches, bubbles, tunnels, etc.  Should be a rule at Ridgeview High.  Beavers is touching the ball 10 times per game, not attempts or thrown at 10 times, but he's touching it 10 times per game.  And somebody on the sidelines needs a little checklist that has 10 tick marks to check off.  Absolutely electric is Beavers.  

Im not sure why teams at the 2a level just don't take their best athlete and line him up in shotgun about 15 times a game and just run him.  Worked for Union with Mitchell and I'm sure it would work with Bradshaw and Beaver's also

13 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Im not sure why teams at the 2a level just don't take their best athlete and line him up in shotgun about 15 times a game and just run him.  Worked for Union with Mitchell and I'm sure it would work with Bradshaw and Beaver's also

Graham has kind of done this with what is arguably their second best athlete.  Graham's QB is basically a running back that is very athletic, but he just happens to be able to throw it, but Graham loves to just snap the ball to him and let him go.  I would love to see Ridgeview do tonight what Graham did at the end of the half last night and that is run trips right and isolate Bradshaw to the far side of the field when the ball was lined up on the opposite hash.  Freddy Simon has for a long time had lots of speed and athleticism at Bluefield High, and he has become very skilled at getting his athletes the ball, and not just getting them the ball, but getting them the ball in open space, where it's often a one on one situation. 

Ridgeview is going to see that first hand tonight.  Bluefield absolutely loves, thrives on having the ball on the left or right hash, and isolating their speedy kid to the far side/long side of the field and just throwing it short, and often, that kid makes the first defender miss, then he is one on one with the safety who was helping over the top and far to many times, the safety misses.  Ridgeview will be faced with this all night (and they may stop it and do very well, I don't know).

This game is the singularly most important game of the season remaining for determining the Region 2D playoff picture.

The SWD's cake is pretty much baked.  (1) Graham, (2) VHS, (3) Richlands, (4) Tazewell.  The only drama is if the Tazewell/Fort or Tazewell/JSB game get cancelled.  The first is obviously happening, and the second is currently full steam ahead.  If either were cancelled, it would boost Tazewell's Power Points UP, regardless of winning (both are winless, which is just a flat 18 points for both games).  A 4-5 Tazewell could feasibly pass a 3-6 Richlands in that scenario, while a 5-5 Tazewell could not.  That's the VHSL for you.

The M7 though...hold on tight.  Should Ridgeview beat Bluefield, and should all other games "go as they're supposed to", Ridgeview would be 1st from the M7 (23.0).  Should Ridgeview lose to Bluefield, Ridgeview would be 3rd from the M7 (21.5).  That's because Union and Central would be locked dead even at 7-3 (4-2) with Power Points at a 22.3 average.  Ridgeview would be 7-3 (4-2) also, but their Power Points lock them into 1st or 3rd, but never 2nd.  Presumably, Central would take the 1st seed due to the H2H over Union, but I'm clueless how the M7 would break that tie.  Long story short:

Ridgeview win: 

(1) Ridgeview

(2) Central

(3) Union

Bluefield win:

(1) Central

(2) Union

(3) Ridgeview

Looking ahead, there are only a few games where the outcome could really be considered in doubt:

(1) Thomas Walker/JIB play each other, so that result washes for Union.  Don't need to consider this one.

(2) JIB plays Rye Cove, which is having an even worse season than they are.  I've given this to JIB, so a loss here would drop 2 rider points from Union.

(3) Thomas Walker plays Twin Springs, who's quietly having the best season no one's talking about.  I gave that one to Twin Springs, so if TW can pull the "upset", that's 2 more points for Union.

(4) Grundy plays Patrick Henry.  I think Patrick Henry should be favored by a fair margin, but if Grundy springs the upset, that's 2 more points for Central.

13 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Looking ahead, there are only a few games where the outcome could really be considered in doubt:

(1) Thomas Walker/JIB play each other, so that result washes for Union.  Don't need to consider this one.

(2) JIB plays Rye Cove, which is having an even worse season than they are.  I've given this to JIB, so a loss here would drop 2 rider points from Union.

(3) Thomas Walker plays Twin Springs, who's quietly having the best season no one's talking about.  I gave that one to Twin Springs, so if TW can pull the "upset", that's 2 more points for Union.

(4) Grundy plays Patrick Henry.  I think Patrick Henry should be favored by a fair margin, but if Grundy springs the upset, that's 2 more points for Central.

While TW/JIB is a wash for Union, it is not for Ridgeview or Lee. If TW wins, that's 2 pts less for Ridgeview. Also, if JIB wins, that could give Lee the 4th and final seed in the M7 over GC, assuming they go to PPs for the tie breaker.

Don't forget that RC canceled their season, so JIB will definitely be getting that win. 😉

10 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

While TW/JIB is a wash for Union, it is not for Ridgeview or Lee. If TW wins, that's 2 pts less for Ridgeview. Also, if JIB wins, that could give Lee the 4th and final seed in the M7 over GC, assuming they go to PPs for the tie breaker.

Don't forget that RC canceled their season, so JIB will definitely be getting that win. 😉

The 2 points in the TW/JIB game won’t impact Ridgeview in terms of the final standings.  If JIB pulled the upset, then Ridgeview would only bump up 2 points.(217 with L, 232 with W).  If Ridgeview were to lose, it wouldn’t cut into the deficit nearly enough.

That being said, it’s HUGE for Lee/GC.  Lee coming rider points away from the playoffs this season is a massive accomplishment for them.

17 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The 2 points in the TW/JIB game won’t impact Ridgeview in terms of the final standings.  If JIB pulled the upset, then Ridgeview would only bump up 2 points.(217 with L, 232 with W).  If Ridgeview were to lose, it wouldn’t cut into the deficit nearly enough.

That being said, it’s HUGE for Lee/GC.  Lee coming rider points away from the playoffs this season is a massive accomplishment for them.

I mentioned RV because if RV gets the win tonight and Union loses to Abingdon, RV and Union would be so, so close in the final PP standings, but I think Grundy's victory last night pretty much sealed the deal. Union desperately needs a win over Abingdon tonight.
Also, I'm favoring Twin Springs tonight as well.

And, yes, giant strides for Lee this year!

Graham has kind of done this with what is arguably their second best athlete.  Graham's QB is basically a running back that is very athletic, but he just happens to be able to throw it, but Graham loves to just snap the ball to him and let him go.  I would love to see Ridgeview do tonight what Graham did at the end of the half last night and that is run trips right and isolate Bradshaw to the far side of the field when the ball was lined up on the opposite hash.  Freddy Simon has for a long time had lots of speed and athleticism at Bluefield High, and he has become very skilled at getting his athletes the ball, and not just getting them the ball, but getting them the ball in open space, where it's often a one on one situation. 

Ridgeview is going to see that first hand tonight.  Bluefield absolutely loves, thrives on having the ball on the left or right hash, and isolating their speedy kid to the far side/long side of the field and just throwing it short, and often, that kid makes the first defender miss, then he is one on one with the safety who was helping over the top and far to many times, the safety misses.  Ridgeview will be faced with this all night (and they may stop it and do very well, I don't know).

GC does that alot with Jenkins also not sure why others don't either.  Kills me to see a D1 player getting 7 touches a game

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

If Grundy wins that's 2 points for Ridgeview to. Don't know if it matters with the points. 

My take away from this game was Beavers, and no disrespect to Bluefield, but Brandon Beavers.  Kid is incredible.  D1 written all over him.  Single handedly, at least on the offensive side, kept RV in the game and almost got RV the W.

This is true. Also RV must get better in the kicking game.  The muffed extra point and failed 2 point plays were awful.  

Overall, I think the game plan was a bit too worried about Bluefield.  They played scared of the speed most of the first half.  Offensively RV does need to embrace being a passing team.  Running screens and short passes are as good as runs. Plus that'll open up the big plays for Beavers like it did in the second half.  

Defensively, RV is average.  I know some may disagree with this, but against playoff teams they can't get off the field on 3rd down.  I don't have the stats, but it seemed like they were getting most of the conversions.  Plus there were a bunch of 3rd and 5+ that they converted on.

I think RV gets by Va High in a close one in Rd 1, but after that'll be tough.  They will be a lot better next year though. 

On 10/29/2021 at 9:52 PM, GilesDavis4321 said:

My take away from this game was Beavers, and no disrespect to Bluefield, but Brandon Beavers.  Kid is incredible.  D1 written all over him.  Single handedly, at least on the offensive side, kept RV in the game and almost got RV the W.

I watched this game and RV came out flat again….getting to be a habit.  They tried to spread it around and run the ball and got down 14-0, just like the Union game.  But this time they actually made an effort to get it to #7.  Hadn’t seen him featured like this before  Kid popped off for about 200 yards and a couple of TDs according to the news sites.  RV outplayed Bluefield in the 2nd half, out scoring them 19-7 and still not scoring on two trips inside the red zone (fumble and a failed fourth down).  I simply don’t understand  RV’s malaise in the first half of their games.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I was at this game and RV came out flat again….getting to be a habit.  They tried to spread it around and run the ball and got down 14-0, just like the Union game.  But this time they actually made an effort to get it to #7.  Hadn’t seen him featured like this since the Richlands game.  Kid popped off for about 200 yards and a couple of TDs. RV outplayed Bluefield in the 2nd half, out scoring them 19-7 and still not scoring on two trips inside the red zone (fumble and a failed fourth down).  I simply don’t understand  RV’s malaise and poor play calling in the first half of their games.

The first quarters especially are killing this team. Every game I've seen this year the first quarter and a half is just going through the motions. Run some screens and short passes and let the qb get in rhythm.  

18 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Rye Cove dropped varsity football for the remainder of the season...

8 hours ago, crazyFB said:

Very beautiful place.  You cant beat soup beans and cornbread at the concession stand. Bluefield 12 flags 120 yards  118 yards called back and 1 TD on the 12 flags. RV 0 flags  0 yards.

My only complaint is they should have put the track around the practice fields between the school and football stadium. 

On 10/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, Union_Fan said:

Lee is automatically eliminated from the playoffs before going into this weekend IF the M7 is going by the rules that they have discussed on here.  Meaning, if it goes first by district record, THEN by powerpoints, ok, there's a 3 way tie in the M7 and those 3 teams are decided for their order by powerpoints, but for the 4th spot, Gate City has a better district record than Lee High REGARDLESS of whether Lee has or finishes with a higher power ranking.  Even if Lee were to somehow beat Abingdon this weekend, this would mean that Lee and Gate City would finish with the same district record, and the Head to Head goes to GC who beat Lee.  And of course, if Lee loses to Abingdon, Gate City has the better district record by one game over Lee because they beat Lee, so technically, if both districts are going by the same rules that people referred to, Lee is already eliminated, EVEN if they beat Abingdon, and Gate City is in the playoffs.  Gate City can lose to RV and Lee can beat Abingdon and Lee would be well ahead in power ratings, but it won't matter.  GC and Lee would then tie for the same district record and GC won the Head to Head.