Union/Graham

Gridiron60

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Thoughts? Hard to beat a team twice in same year.

Look no further than the Richlands/RV rematch.  Look, if I’m Graham….I’m shamelessly stacking the box and run blitzing.  I do think Union’s running game is a bit predictable.  You have a good idea where it’s going pre-snap…you just have to stop it.  I consider the Jenkins kid the only true passing threat…maybe press him or put Bradshaw on him in man coverage.  Doesn’t seem like Bradshaw likes run support too much what what I’ve seen in film.  Against Union, your safeties have to be “dogs” and want to stick the RB.  If not….huge day for Union.

52 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Graham needs to work on their special teams this week. 

Almost every team I’ve watched hasn’t been really sharp on special teams.  Does it not get the focus it used to?  I mean…just poor fundamentals.  

4 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Almost every team I’ve watched hasn’t been really sharp on special teams.  Does it not get the focus it used to?  I mean…just poor fundamentals.  

Well I saw Lee return one kickoff to their 46 or so but after that the rest they were pinned up deep Bradshaw returned the one punt for a td. And yes our one punt attempt In the second half by the second string was blocked. So how much better do they need to be seeing as how teams do not kick to them

4 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I honestly couldn't tell you how often it's worked on. Graham's problem the last couple weeks has been centered around the kickoff team. No fault of the kicker either. He's getting the ball inside the 10 but the cover team is allowing big run backs. Kids see highlights of big hits on kickoff and punts. 9th and 10th graders are not big enough to be laying people out most of the time. Wrap up! If they won't do it find someone that will. A kick return is a huge mental momentum swing.

2 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Should be a good game.  Graham should game-plan to stop Lomax.  Make somelbody else beat you   Bradshaw needs to be targeted about 20 times.  He is getting a rd every 2 or 3 touches.  Get him the ball more... It's time to bring yiur best effort.

I think if Graham can do a better job of stopping Lomax this go around, they can win this one. You’re right, best effort. No half a$$ tackling, no sloppiness, and stay focused. They can’t let up for one second against Union. Union plays well at Mitchell and will be ready in my opinion despite what some Union folks say.

2 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I honestly couldn't tell you how often it's worked on. Graham's problem the last couple weeks has been centered around the kickoff team. No fault of the kicker either. He's getting the ball inside the 10 but the cover team is allowing big run backs. Kids see highlights of big hits on kickoff and punts. 9th and 10th graders are not big enough to be laying people out most of the time. Wrap up! If they won't do it find someone that will. A kick return is a huge mental momentum swing.

It’s every team I watch…punt return and kick off returns for TDs happen so frequently now.  Go back 20-30 years ago…they were much more rare.  I see kids locked in and not adjusting to the ball carrier…I se e a lot of teams not using their better players/starters.  Coverage teams not staying in their lanes and some really poor effort.  

6 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

It’s every team I watch…punt return and kick off returns for TDs happen so frequently now.  Go back 20-30 years ago…they were much more rare.  I see kids locked in and not adjusting to the ball carrier…I se e a lot of teams not using their better players/starters.  Coverage teams not staying in their lanes and some really poor effort.  

Nailed it!!! It may cost some teams a playoff win next week if they’re not careful. 

9 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Should be a good game.  Graham should game-plan to stop Lomax.  Make somelbody else beat you   Bradshaw needs to be targeted about 20 times.  He is getting a td every 2 or 3 touches.  Get him the ball more. It's time to 

They did a good job in the spring, outside of last play,  other union backs and qb stepped up. Game didn't disappoint in September either.  Hoping for another great one between these 2

14 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Thoughts? Hard to beat a team twice in same year.

It's also hard to beat Graham once this year.

I like Graham by 14 points or more in the vicinity of 34-17, OR......Union wins close.  Will not be any in between in my opinion.  I'm going to choose the second option.  I think Union beats Graham close.  I picked Union to win the Region immediately after the loss to Graham in round one and I'll stick with.  They'll run it well enough to limit Graham's possessions and they won't turn over more than once, and they will Beg Graham to throw the ball in the middle of the field and take away the deep pass, and I still think Graham's inability, or almost by choice, lack of intermediate passing game will catch them.  Even against Lee High win I watched the game this morning, no across the middle/intermediate routes.  I think Union gets a couple picks on deep balls playing center field.  Why Graham's offensive staff will not design a pass route across the middle of field 10-15 yards off the ball is beyond my understanding, but I think it's one of the contributors that ends Graham's season Saturday afternoon.

On the above, I am just giving my take.  I'm no soothsayer and have no idea what the future will be.  I'm just giving some reasons/opinions on why I think Union wins it close.  I could be dead wrong.

1 hour ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

It's also hard to beat Graham once this year.

I like Graham by 14 points or more in the vicinity of 34-17, OR......Union wins close.  Will not be any in between in my opinion.  I'm going to choose the second option.  I think Union beats Graham close.  I picked Union to win the Region immediately after the loss to Graham in round one and I'll stick with.  They'll run it well enough to limit Graham's possessions and they won't turn over more than once, and they will Beg Graham to throw the ball in the middle of the field and take away the deep pass, and I still think Graham's inability, or almost by choice, lack of intermediate passing game will catch them.  Even against Lee High win I watched the game this morning, no across the middle/intermediate routes.  I think Union gets a couple picks on deep balls playing center field.  Why Graham's offensive staff will not design a pass route across the middle of field 10-15 yards off the ball is beyond my understanding, but I think it's one of the contributors that ends Graham's season Saturday afternoon.

On the above, I am just giving my take.  I'm no soothsayer and have no idea what the future will be.  I'm just giving some reasons/opinions on why I think Union wins it close.  I could be dead wrong.

I agree completely about the intermediate passing.  Grahams O coordinator had the same issues in 2019.  Unless they are saving it, they had better be a little more diverse pretty quick.  I'm not sure if Graham's qb (being new to the position this year) has anything to do with it.  He has done very well getting positive yardage when under pressure.  Surely they have a thing or 2 up their sleeve for Union.  I know Union will.

I'm no John Madden but I've played his game many times. 

Maybe by running those deep routes you either get a mismatch and hit a homerun or you back up 4-5 defenders 25 yards down the field and the QB, which can obviously run has a lot of room after breaking the line of scrimmage. It worked in Madden when I wanted to run my QB. So, are they designed pass plays or designed RPO's for the QB? Tough to stop both.

Looking at them from a defensive coaching perspective,  Bradshaw requires a minimum of 2 to cover him, then they have 2-3 more WR's that can catch and make plays, a lightning fast RB, and a QB that can run. That's a tough matchup for any team.

Not saying Union doesn't have strengths of their own.