Which matchups are you looking forward to?

Real Sasquatch

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'm pretty sure Giles plays at Auburn that week. I will likely be in Bluefield to see that one, and skip going to Riner, VA.

50 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

You and me both if that's the case

Giles may skip going to RIner as well if Auburn doesn't find some bodies!!!

19 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Add Cherokee to that list. I have yet to see a one sided seating stadium here in Florida, but there's a lot of really nice stadiums that are a quarter to half full on game nights. Outside of a couple of places, the game atmosphere is terrible. 

I assume Volunteer and Cherokee's stadiums are exactly alike.  Their basketball gyms are with the exception of school colors of course.

I just look forward to visiting any stadium for the first time.  Guess I'm a stadium junkie.  Lol.  I will have first time visits this year to Volunteer and David Crockett.  West Ridge is away this year but I went to a Thursday night game there last year.

Best stadium I've been to on the Tennessee side so far is Farragut by a pretty good margin.  Oak Ridge would be up there if you were sitting on the home side but sitting on the visitor side sucks because of the incline to reach the seats and being so far away from the field.

9 hours ago, sixcat said:

Giles may skip going to RIner as well if Auburn doesn't find some bodies!!!

Wish we would skip the trip against North cross and the game is in pearisburg lol

I've heard they will be better than last year...Holy crap if true....they may put 100 on us

9 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I assume Volunteer and Cherokee's stadiums are exactly alike.  Their basketball gyms are with the exception of school colors of course.

I just look forward to visiting any stadium for the first time.  Guess I'm a stadium junkie.  Lol.  I will have first time visits this year to Volunteer and David Crockett.  West Ridge is away this year but I went to a Thursday night game there last year.

Best stadium I've been to on the Tennessee side so far is Farragut by a pretty good margin.  Oak Ridge would be up there if you were sitting on the home side but sitting on the visitor side sucks because of the incline to reach the seats and being so far away from the field.

Cherokee and Volunteer high school buildings are the same exact design but kind of a flip of each other. Both are one story. 

Only difference between our gym and Cherokee’s is Cherokee has an elevator. It was put in after JT Brooks got severely injured. 

On 7/12/2022 at 12:38 PM, JDHoss said:

You haven't missed much. I believe they do have turf now though. The last time we were there, their field was awful. I feel bad for Volunteer. For the most part, their athletic programs have been a 40+ year effort in futility. 

Yeah we suck. We were ok last season. 6-4. Made the playoffs for the first time since 07 or 08. But got our asses handed to us by Fulton first round 

Cherokee was awful last year. Cherokee is usually middle of the road. 

13 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Add Anderson Co to the one sided stadiums. As far as nice stadiums that I've been in go, Valdosta (GA) is the runaway choice. Second place would be Dorman (SC). Third place would be Olive Branch (MS), followed by Salem (VA), Camden Co (GA), Vero Beach (FL), and Dr. Phillips (Orlando).

3 hours ago, vhs_falcon_volfan said:

Yeah we suck. We were ok last season. 6-4. Made the playoffs for the first time since 07 or 08. But got our asses handed to us by Fulton first round 

Cherokee was awful last year. Cherokee is usually middle of the road. 

A couple of my friends have had sons and daughters who have excelled in football, basketball and track at VHS. It seemed like there was always a lot of internal strife/politics going on there. I'm hoping that they can build off of last year's success. They deserve to have some. 

On 7/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, JDHoss said:

Add Anderson Co to the one sided stadiums. As far as nice stadiums that I've been in go, Valdosta (GA) is the runaway choice. Second place would be Dorman (SC). Third place would be Olive Branch (MS), followed by Salem (VA), Camden Co (GA), Vero Beach (FL), and Dr. Phillips (Orlando).

I can't imagine high school stadiums nicer than Salem, bigger yes, but nicer?  How so?

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

I can't imagine high school stadiums nicer than Salem, bigger yes, but nicer?  How so?

Really? I’ve never really been big on Salem. It’s nice, and it’s big, but I don’t know that anything really wow’s me about it. 

5 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I agree with him....Salem is about as nice as it gets...great venue, plenty of seating, tons of parking etc.

I guess I’m just weird lol. It’s always felt cold and distant to me. I’d rather watch a game at Ridgeview or Central or Bullitt Park, but that’s just me. Lol

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I guess I’m just weird lol. It’s always felt cold and distant to me. I’d rather watch a game at Ridgeview or Central or Bullitt Park, but that’s just me. Lol

Can only speak from experience but Central sucks.  Bullitt Park wasn't great when we were there for different reasons but heard those issues were fixed now (scoreboard location being the main one)  It wasn't bad though.  As I said before hate all these new stadiums where you sit a mile away from the sideline

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Can only speak from experience but Central sucks.  Bullitt Park wasn't great when we were there for different reasons but heard those issues were fixed now (scoreboard location being the main one)  It wasn't bad though.  As I said before hate all these new stadiums where you sit a mile away from the sideline

Salem is a great stadium.  Has a good big game feel to it! 
For local high school stadiums I’d go with John Battle (easily most underrated) and Ralph Cummins in Clintwood (soon to be a splash pad).  I like the closeness to the field! 

43 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Bullitt Park >>>>>>>Central 

I'm used to being a fence dweller at games, and the first (and only) time I went to Wise, I needed binoculars. I hated that layout. 

21 hours ago, redtiger said:

Salem is really nice. I'd rank it high. Valdosta (GA) is worthy of an FCS school and in fact is also used by the Division II Valdosta St Blazers. I got a tour of this place once before a gamee by one of our vendors who was a booster. It was built in 1924, but still has all the bells and whistles including a museum of Valdosta's rich football history (trophy case is incredible), weight room/training facility and locker rooms worthy of an FCS school, a huge video board and great sound system. The game atmosphere matches the facility too.

1432.jpg

The Citrus Bowl in Vero Beach (FL) isn't aesthetically spectacular, but it's an old stadium with charm and displays of their history, a big train horn (which reminds me of SWVA), food trucks inside the stadium, a nice video board, and just all around great atmosphere with great community support, which is rare for large (Class 8A) schools down here.  You can also pick your seats at the window or off an app. 

AF1QipM1S9oQ5A_0Eu_D7DAYSJdWRvLm5Z1FOTkM

On 7/17/2022 at 5:19 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Really? I’ve never really been big on Salem. It’s nice, and it’s big, but I don’t know that anything really wow’s me about it. 

There's no wow factor,but I can't imagine any reasonable high school stadium being better. Reasonable meaning I'm excluding the big stadiums in Texas for example 

10 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Salem is a great stadium.  Has a good big game feel to it! 
For local high school stadiums I’d go with John Battle (easily most underrated) and Ralph Cummins in Clintwood (soon to be a splash pad).  I like the closeness to the field! 

Cummins was a great place to watch a game, as was Sandlick. Other than The Cliff no seats were closer to the field

38 minutes ago, redtiger said:

There's no wow factor,but I can't imagine any reasonable high school stadium being better. Reasonable meaning I'm excluding the big stadiums in Texas for example 

That’s also a city stadium, though, and not really a high school stadium. I guess that’s where my disconnect is