Realignment 2023-2027

VHSLhelper

47 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

As a Riverheads fan I am glad it was denied. There was no need to petition to stay down but alas others made that decision. 

RH even though not intentional, might have timed it perfectly. If I'm not mistaken, Cash Cook or Cook Cash is back next year.

Radford, loses Div 1 VT commit Baylor and a bunch of seniors. Graham loses Div 1 offer Robert's and a few lineman. I understand Union has a senior offensive line. Ridgeview loses Beavers and a bunch of seniors. Appo loses two D1 players in Pennix and Copeland. Glenvar loses a bunch. I don't know about King William or Poqouson or Stuart's Draft, but RH has Drafts number. What I'm saying is, RH could be picking the perfect year to move up. Not out of the equation at all for RH to win the Class 2 title, but that's a long ways away.

Cupboard won’t be bare after this year with CCC coming back but lots of parts will need to be replaced including the opposite WB and FB. I would like to think some success will come in Class 2 but it will be a stretch to ever come across the consistency of having two solid wings and a decent passing game that has been the case over the last 6-7 years. I look forward to seeing it play out though. 

This story appeared in the local weekly paper regarding Liberty(Bedford) High School's experience in trying to move to the Dogwood District as part of realignment:

LHS Makes Pitch for District Switch

Interesting quote from the end:

"Haigler said there were no representatives of the Dogwood at last Tuesday’s hearing, but the district did submit a document regarding Liberty’s inclusion. 'We don’t have any idea what was in the document,' he said. 'So, it’s a 50-50 shot. We went up there with a 50-50 shot and coming back I still think it’s a 50-50 shot.'”

"Enrollment at the school has continued to fall and is expected to remain on a downward trajectory. There were 793 students at the school in 2019. That number shrank to 551 this year"

Thats a tremendous drop in enrollment over such a short time

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

"Enrollment at the school has continued to fall and is expected to remain on a downward trajectory. There were 793 students at the school in 2019. That number shrank to 551 this year"

Thats a tremendous drop in enrollment over such a short time

It's possible that the numbers aren't entirely accurate (total enrollment as opposed to what VHSL uses for ADM) but that definitely is a statistically significant drop.  And it is present in all three Bedford County schools.

More perplexing is the fact that the school age population of Bedford County (defined roughly as ages 5-17) has steadily increased according to the US Census Bureau for the last 20 years.  Even before the impact of Covid approximately 10-20% of kids were not attending the public schools.  

My source told me over the weekend, the George Wythe ADM figure listed in the March 2022 spreadsheet is a typo. The 353 should have been 335. Makes sense for them to win an appeal if they were able to show the error in the spreadsheet. 

46 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I am surprised that Liberty Bedford was denied going to the Dogwood district when they even had the right enrollment numbers. 

What's really surprising is that the Dogwood members are that afraid of Liberty.  They will probably wind up facing the Minutemen in the regional playoffs in most sports other than football anyway.  It will just be a bit harder for LHS to qualify for the postseason at the Division 2 level if they are still playing within the Seminole District.

2 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Districts should be comprised entirely of schools within the same classification.  With no exceptions.  Or there simply shouldn't be any districts at all.

Easiest way to fix that is for VH$L to reduce the number of classifications to 4.

But that won't happen because of the $ in VH$L.

53 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

This seems like as good a time as any for me to share this opinion....

Districts should be comprised entirely of schools within the same classification.  With no exceptions.  Or there simply shouldn't be any districts at all.

Not workable with 6 classes. I would think 4 classes or lower is the only way this works. I would like to see us go back to 4 classes and maybe it would work. 

It's always difficult for me to fathom TC Williams' (now Alexandria) student population (Total 3,955/ ADM 3,286) 

If anybody finds it interesting, I made some random comparisons with other schools.

TC Williams/Alexandria is:

larger than the 25 smallest schools in Virginia combined.

larger than the 19 smallest schools in the SWVA (VA) coverage area combined

12% larger than SWVA's four largest schools combined  (Pulaski Co, Carroll Co, Abingdon, and Radford).

31% larger than the Southwest District.

51% larger than the Hogoheegee.

65% larger than the Cumberland.

74% larger than the Black Diamond.

just 6% smaller than the Mountain 7.

just 7% smaller than the Hogoheegee, Black Diamond, and Cumberland Districts combined.

5% larger than Bristol, Washington Co, and Smyth Co schools combined.

14% larger than Lenowisco Planning District schools(Lee, Norton, Wise, and Scott).

4% larger than the Cumberland Plateau Planning District schools (Tazewell, Dickinson, Buchanan, and Russell).

4% larger than Pulaski Co, Giles Co, Radford, Bland Co, and Wythe Co schools combined.

56% larger than the Twin Co area schools  (Carroll, Galax, and Grayson).

10% larger than Roanoke City schools (Patrick Henry and William Fleming).

7 hours ago, redtiger said:

@Liam McPoyle excellent stats!

That tremendously wide gulf in school enrollments is why VA has 6 divisions. Four, cut somewhat evenly, would be the end of almost every current 2A school having any success beyond the regional level.

I neither like nor agree with the six division setup.  But since that's purely a matter of my personal opinion I won't trouble anyone further with my ramblings.

The crucial weakness of VHSL is now the district setup -- which makes absolutely no sense.  What's the point of forcing district alignment if it has no direct impact upon the overall competition structure?  If we are going to keep 6 divisions, then VHSL should either abandon districts altogether and force scheduling arrangements based on regional alignment or take a stronger central position in managing district alignments based on classification.  Once again it seems that we could learn a thing or two from our neighbors in North Carolina.

This is now an important issue for me because my own ox is being gored.  If the Executive Committee doesn't intervene, Liberty(Bedford) will be forced to play a district slate comprised entirely of schools that are either in higher classifications or have a license to recruit at will -- putting every single team at a competitive disadvantage in terms of qualifying for the VHSL's REGIONAL playoff structure (let alone the possibility of competing on a statewide level).  And the Alignment Committee's rationale for allowing this was basically that the local schools within the same classification as Liberty just don't want to play them.

Truly ridiculous.

An article in today's Galax Gazette concerning VHSL denying the Grayson County appeal to drop to 1A rather than be moved back to 2A is quite interesting. Grayson County superintendent Kelly Wilmore is quoted as saying "I'm not giving up on the matter. It could definitely end up in court."

Making veiled threats of lawsuits is a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see how that works out for him.

58 minutes ago, sixcat said:

An article in today's Galax Gazette concerning VHSL denying the Grayson County appeal to drop to 1A rather than be moved back to 2A is quite interesting. Grayson County superintendent Kelly Wilmore is quoted as saying "I'm not giving up on the matter. It could definitely end up in court."

Making veiled threats of lawsuits is a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see how that works out for him.

Certainly did the trick for LCA.  Perhaps the folks in Lynchburg can recommend an attorney.

2 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Certainly did the trick for LCA.  Perhaps the folks in Lynchburg can recommend an attorney.

Is suing for inclusion the same as suing to drop down a classification? Especially considering VHSL hasn't approved a single request to play down. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Is suing for inclusion the same as suing to drop down a classification? Especially considering VHSL hasn't approved a single request to play down. 

In my opinion, no.  But the VHSL certainly seems to cave easily under any threat of legal action -- and logic doesn't appear to have a high priority for that organization's governing body.  

8 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

In my opinion, no.  But the VHSL certainly seems to cave easily under any threat of legal action -- and logic doesn't appear to have a high priority for that organization's governing body.  

Very true. If a situation can be made into a farce, VHSL will find a way.