Friday Night Rivals

Tigers_07

1 hour ago, Tigers_07 said:

does anyone here know what rival games WCYB will be covering this year, be nice if they even it out with half NET and half SVWA games

I know one for sure and that is the Elizabethton at Greeneville game which is on a Thursday night.  September 1 I believe.

7 hours ago, Tigers_07 said:

does anyone here know what rival games WCYB will be covering this year, be nice if they even it out with half NET and half SVWA games

Slight inside baseball, but they’ve always tried to make it 5/5. But it HAS to be 2 teams from inside the coverage area, and that kills the bigger games. Union/Richlands. Union/Graham. Bluefield/Ridgeview. Tazewell/Virginia High. GW/Galax when they come play a Class A power down here. 

So that really hurts the pool of SWVA games. And when you can have Crockett vs Boone or Twin Springs vs Rye Cove (no offense), they’ll take the bigger NETN game. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Slight inside baseball, but they’ve always tried to make it 5/5. But it HAS to be 2 teams from inside the coverage area, and that kills the bigger games. Union/Richlands. Union/Graham. Bluefield/Ridgeview. Tazewell/Virginia High. GW/Galax when they come play a Class A power down here. 

So that really hurts the pool of SWVA games. And when you can have Crockett vs Boone or Twin Springs vs Rye Cove (no offense), they’ll take the bigger NETN game. 

They’ll do Va High for a game for sure and Abingdon for one/ maybe two, Union vs Ridgeview is a good bet….thought they were nuts to not show Ridgeview vs. Central last year as there is a lot of bad blood and both teams were on the up…..maybe they do Central  vs Union. The Chilhowie vs Patrick Henry is a safe bet……maybe Holston as well.

47 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

They’ll do Va High for a game for sure and Abingdon for one/ maybe two, Union vs Ridgeview is a good bet….thought they were nuts to not show Ridgeview vs. Central last year as there is a lot of bad blood and both teams were on the up…..maybe they do Central  vs Union. The Chilhowie vs Patrick Henry is a safe bet……maybe Holston as well.

There was an issue with the RV/Central game last year if I recall correctly. Can’t remember the exact issue, but they wanted to do that one and couldn’t. 

• 2 weeks later...

Casey Goetz just posted the first three weeks on Facebook:

Friday -- Science Hill at Elizabethton

August 26 -- Daniel Boone at West Ridge

September 2 -- Twin Springs at Holston

I believe this may be the first Cumberland team to be featured on Friday Night Rivals.  Regardless an all 1A game is pretty awesome.

29 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Casey Goetz just posted the first three weeks on Facebook:

Friday -- Science Hill at Elizabethton

August 26 -- Daniel Boone at West Ridge

September 2 -- Twin Springs at Holston

I believe this may be the first Cumberland team to be featured on Friday Night Rivals.  Regardless an all 1A game is pretty awesome.

I would be surprised if they didn’t show Abingdon/ Ridgeview.  Cool to see a 1A school.  Holston and Twin Springs need to pack the stands!

7 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I would be surprised if they didn’t show Abingdon/ Ridgeview.  Cool to see a 1A school.  Holston and Twin Springs need to pack the stands!

Yeah that game will be on for sure unless there's a bigger NET game that week

7 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah that game will be on for sure unless there's a bigger NET game that week

There are three fairly big Northeast Tennessee rivalry games that week:

• West Ridge at Tennessee High
  • Cherokee at Volunteer
  • Daniel Boone at David Crockett

Only other Virginia game that could compete with Abingdon/Ridgeview that week would be Virginia High at Chilhowie.

I would say it comes down to the Musket Bowl and Ridgeview/Abingdon.  If the Musket Bowl is for the 1-5A title, I'd say it gets the nod.

18 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Only other Virginia game that could compete with Abingdon/Ridgeview that week would be Virginia High at Chilhowie.

The only way the Virginia High and Chilhowie game is in the mix is if they are undefeated. I think Chilhowie has atleast 2 loses by then personally I dont see VA high getting out of week one undefeated. Even if they do beat Tazewell they still have to play Wise and Graham

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Will the Musket Bowl even be played on Friday?  With the light issue at Boone and Crockett could it get moved to Saturday?

I've been wondering that myself since we are supposed to play Crockett at Crockett before then.

As of now, I believe Boone anticipates having theirs fixed by their second home game and Crockett by the time they play us.

On 8/18/2022 at 8:39 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

There are three fairly big Northeast Tennessee rivalry games that week:

• West Ridge at Tennessee High
  • Cherokee at Volunteer
  • Daniel Boone at David Crockett

I would say it comes down to the Musket Bowl and Ridgeview/Abingdon.  If the Musket Bowl is for the 1-5A title, I'd say it gets the nod.

Do they already know schedule or just go week to week on deciding

4 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Do they already know schedule or just go week to week on deciding

I think they set the first couple of weeks up before hand and then plan out about a week or two in advance….gives them a chance to monitor the season and how teams are doing in order to pick relevant games.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...