Gate City Vs. Richlands

bulldog05-CO2017

16 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

A football game will be played. Fans from both schools will sit on the away stands. A team with blue as their primary color will win… and lose. A train horn will be sounded. 

Better watch it if they bring it to any Taz Co games now.  I'm sure the wonderful administration will find a way to outlaw it in the parking lots or 5 mile radius of the field!

I'm not sure what to make of this game. Hard to judge a team when they're not healthy, so if Richlands is completely healthy for this game, it might make a difference. It think it will be a close one. Could be 14-7 or 42-35. Really difficult to tell how far GC has come this year. With double the players as last year, they will have some depth and that will always be a positive.

30 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm not sure what to make of this game. Hard to judge a team when they're not healthy, so if Richlands is completely healthy for this game, it might make a difference. It think it will be a close one. Could be 14-7 or 42-35. Really difficult to tell how far GC has come this year. With double the players as last year, they will have some depth and that will always be a positive.

This is kinda where I’m at as well. From what I last heard — the Blues should have 3 of the 5 starters who have been put back this week. But things constantly change. 

Blues at full strength on the offense tonight and it showed. Big improvement on the lines, but that was expected when 3 of your starters were out. I like that Simmons wasn’t forced to be a passer tonight. Had the chance to get 3 more scores and just didn’t execute in the red zone. 

As always, love watching a game at Legion. Happy to be 1-0 and hopeful we see a good game Friday night with Union. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Blues at full strength on the offense tonight and it showed. Big improvement on the lines, but that was expected when 3 of your starters were out. I like that Simmons wasn’t forced to be a passer tonight. Had the chance to get 3 more scores and just didn’t execute in the red zone. 

As always, love watching a game at Legion. Happy to be 1-0 and hopeful we see a good game Friday night with Union. 

Would have been a heck of a game if GC had played first half like the second half. I'd say the center will be working overtime this week. 

It is a wild thing to think about when looking back at the Richlands single game rushing record after Dylan Brown broke it tonight. Nick Blankenship had it after his performance against Abingdon in 2015. But before that Jackie Mabe set the record in 1972 and held it for 43 years. Surprised that Brannon Breeding, Jeremy McCommons, Caleb Jennings or Devon Johnson did not lay claim to that one. 

Do I wanna say that Richlands got luck tonight? Honestly I do, but how do you say that when your running back has over 350 yards of rushing offense...?

Gate City made a ton of mistakes out there and it just went downhill. Right when they were beginning to figure out what was working, something would happen that would just send them spiraling again. Neither team is as bad people were thinking, but neither are as good as they think they are now. 

Feeling very... neutral after this game.

Well... Richlands did better than I expected, but they still are not a good team. I see them winning 3 games. 

Gate City did worse than I expected. That defense could not stop a pee wee team. Richlands should have easily scored atleast 2 more touchdowns.

4 hours ago, CzarYakov said:

Do I wanna say that Richlands got luck tonight? Honestly I do, but how do you say that when your running back has over 350 yards of rushing offense...?

Gate City made a ton of mistakes out there and it just went downhill. Right when they were beginning to figure out what was working, something would happen that would just send them spiraling again. Neither team is as bad people were thinking, but neither are as good as they think they are now. 

Feeling very... neutral after this game.

I listened on the radio. They definitely made some mistakes. Its obvious when they got things going they have some weapons. Like u said, they still gave up a lot of yards rushing and that would be concerning to me. Id say these teams are pretty equal when things are going right. Im guessing both teams are just below .500 at the end of season.

Richlands can probably still be in the conversation for 2nd in the SWD with Tazewell. Brown is not going to have 250+ yards every game and there was really nothing shown by Simmons to make you feel one way or the other about his QB-ing. If teams can stop the rush for Richlands, I don’t think that QB is winning them any games. We will know how 1 dimensional the Blues are after the Union game next week. The Blues upcoming slate is brutal

v. Union, at Graham, at Abingdon, v. Bluefield, at Ridgeview.  You can be as optimistic as you want but hard to see them winning any of those games. 1-5 going into the Backyard Brawl might be the expectation. Based on last night, I do think Richlands beats Marion and VA High and I don’t know that Tazewell’s run defense is going to be tough enough against Brown and that O-line to win that game. At the same time, Richlands’ defense seemed vulnerable at times last night, which Tazewell can and should exploit much better than GC. That game as it has been for the last 2 meetings should go down to the wire, and that game will determine second place in the SWD.