Week 2 Scores/Updates

Iceman2553

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

I got to watch this on NFHS. Appo still has speed to burn, but they didn't even look as good as last year. Rustburg isn't a very big team, but they had no problem with Appo on the LOS. Might just be Radford's year in Reg C.

Agree.  I was surprised a little with Appo's lineplay.  App has great athletes, but last year their lineplay is what did them in with Graham as Graham physically punished them in that state semi game.  This line of Appo in 2022 actually looks small (not average or less than average) but small to me, and Rustburg did what Graham did.  Just pushed them off the ball and tried to limit as many athletic Appo big plays as possible.  

This year could be a year for Union.  Graham is the favs and Ridgeview is right up there also, but a team like Union, with all the history and some deep playoff runs, this could be a year where a team like Union wins the whole thing if they get out of the region.  Radford is good and Glenvar even at 0-2 is good and Appo doesn't appear to be that elite level they usually are.  I've seen Glenvar, Appo, Radford, and Union now on NFHS.  Union is better than ALL 3 of them on the line of scrimmage.   I'm not declaring Union State Champions, but I'm just saying they are closer to it than what many might have thought coming into this season.  They actually ARE in the mix.

8 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Agree.  I was surprised a little with Appo's lineplay.  App has great athletes, but last year their lineplay is what did them in with Graham as Graham physically punished them in that state semi game.  This line of Appo in 2022 actually looks small (not average or less than average) but small to me, and Rustburg did what Graham did.  Just pushed them off the ball and tried to limit as many athletic Appo big plays as possible.  

This year could be a year for Union.  Graham is the favs and Ridgeview is right up there also, but a team like Union, with all the history and some deep playoff runs, this could be a year where a team like Union wins the whole thing if they get out of the region.  Radford is good and Glenvar even at 0-2 is good and Appo doesn't appear to be that elite level they usually are.  I've seen Glenvar, Appo, Radford, and Union now on NFHS.  Union is better than ALL 3 of them on the line of scrimmage.   I'm not declaring Union State Champions, but I'm just saying they are closer to it than what many might have thought coming into this season.  They actually ARE in the mix.

I agree on the lines.  Raddy's line is very good this year and we're as good as Appomattox on the LOS this year but Union's line is better than ours and Appomattox. Glenvar is 0-2, but we haven't heard the last of them. Martinsville in C looks like they might be getting it together and if they do, that's trouble.  They can match any team in C athletically.  They've always been 1 solid coach away from turning it around and they might be there.

26 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I knew what Union had coming back and that they "should" be good on the line, but they have truly exceeded my expectations. I'm not even worried about them working on the pass. They have the line and horses in the backfield to rack up yards on anyone. If they can button down the pass D, they have a chance to go very far this year.

14 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I knew what Union had coming back and that they "should" be good on the line, but they have truly exceeded my expectations. I'm not even worried about them working on the pass. They have the line and horses in the backfield to rack up yards on anyone. If they can button down the pass D, they have a chance to go very far this year.

Hold up big Bear. Maybe wait til they actually play someone?

30 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

Hold up big Bear. Maybe wait til they actually play someone?

I hear ya. I realize that Union hasn't had the most difficult schedule so far, and that doesn't change this week either, but there is something different about this year's team, if they stay healthy.

We will know for sure when Graham comes to town!

It’s hard for me to say who has the superior offensive line between Graham and Union based on what I have seen. I would honestly give the edge to Graham with its linemen. What puts Union over the top is the lead blocking of its backs, especially around the end (#16 and #18?). It’s like having 2 extra linemen, only faster.

20 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Mark it down, RV’s undoing will be their line.  They are big enough on OL but just don’t push anyone off the ball.   They greatly miss the Gibson kid from last year in DL, who wrecked Central both times they played and would go toe to toe with anyone.  RV grows skill players but they don’t grow OL.  It’s weird.

7 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Mark it down, RV’s undoing will be their line.  They are big enough on OL but just don’t push anyone off the ball.   They greatly miss the Gibson kid from last year in DL, who wrecked Central both times they played and would go toe to toe with anyone.  RV grows skill players but they don’t grow OL.  It’s weird.

SWVAOG, how is Ridgeview's run defense up front?  Ridgeview's passing game is solid enough for them to do well as long as the OL can decently pass block and maybe get bye without blowing DL's off the ball in the run game, BUT....it's a big problem against a Union, Graham, Bluefield, and maybe Central, if their DL is easily pushed off the ball and can't slow down the run.

34 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

It seems that getting the combination of skill players and OL is getting harder to come by. Especially year in and year out. Graham will have an excellent group of skill players coming up over the next 2 to 5 years. How good will their line be? I honestly don't know but the skill players should be really good. Union has a great combination this year of both. They are going to be tough to handle.

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

It’s hard for me to say who has the superior offensive line between Graham and Union based on what I have seen. I would honestly give the edge to Graham with its linemen. What puts Union over the top is the lead blocking of its backs, especially around the end (#16 and #18?). It’s like having 2 extra linemen, only faster.

This is spot on. When 16, 13 and sometimes 17 are coming around the corner they are preparing to lay the boom on someone. 

15 hours ago, tornado99 said:

They are no bigger than Grahams linebackers and definitely not as fast. The Gmen return 7 starters from last years D that held Union to 13 pts in the playoffs with Lomax. No offense, I just don't think the Bears have anyone Lomax's caliber this year and the passing game is worse. 

16 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

SWVAOG, how is Ridgeview's run defense up front?  Ridgeview's passing game is solid enough for them to do well as long as the OL can decently pass block and maybe get bye without blowing DL's off the ball in the run game, BUT....it's a big problem against a Union, Graham, Bluefield, and maybe Central, if their DL is easily pushed off the ball and can't slow down the run.

Honestly I feel like the line is better than last season and no longer a glaring weakness.

For all the talk on Grundy playing tighter than expected RV held Grundy's leading rusher to 60 yards on 20 carries and as a team out rushed Grundy on fewer carries.

The DLine seems to be a by comity situation which at this point looks ok there strength on D is at Line Backer where they are as good as anyone in the region.

Central is a much more dynamic offence that Grundy so RV will not be able to load the box so we may see a more fair idea of what RV's Run D looks like after tonight

1 hour ago, Gmen2021 said:

They are no bigger than Grahams linebackers and definitely not as fast. The Gmen return 7 starters from last years D that held Union to 13 pts in the playoffs with Lomax. No offense, I just don't think the Bears have anyone Lomax's caliber this year and the passing game is worse. 

Lomax was special and a big loss. One big difference between the 1st Graham game and the 2nd was the loss of #13. He was actually injured in the 1st Graham game. His blocks were the catalyst for several of Lomax's big runs.

Even without Lomax, there are a few key differences between last years team and this years. The line is bigger and stronger. We have a true FB for the T for the first time in a few years, and a legit running QB for a 4th option out of the backfield. #13 is healthy and a good change of pace back. The rushing attack will be RB by committee. The overall team speed is much better than last year.

The pass game is definitely a work in progress, and I'm not sure how much of a factor it would be in this year's offense anyways. The pass D is for certain going to be a weakness in the short term. Lots of talent there, just young. Graham and Ridgeview may eat us alive there. We'll find out soon enough.

Very excited to see how our run does against Graham's D. If we can run on them, I think we can run on anyone.

17 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Ridgeview's undoing will be their discipline and egos.  They are talented enough to beat any team around here but they know they are, if that makes sense.  

3 hours ago, Gmen2021 said:

Good point. I was simply comparing offense vs offense. 

59 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Lomax was special and a big loss. One big difference between the 1st Graham game and the 2nd was the loss of #13. He was actually injured in the 1st Graham game. His blocks were the catalyst for several of Lomax's big runs.

Even without Lomax, there are a few key differences between last years team and this years. The line is bigger and stronger. We have a true FB for the T for the first time in a few years, and a legit running QB for a 4th option out of the backfield. #13 is healthy and a good change of pace back. The rushing attack will be RB by committee. The overall team speed is much better than last year.

The pass game is definitely a work in progress, and I'm not sure how much of a factor it would be in this year's offense anyways. The pass D is for certain going to be a weakness in the short term. Lots of talent there, just young. Graham and Ridgeview may eat us alive there. We'll find out soon enough.

Very excited to see how our run does against Graham's D. If we can run on them, I think we can run on anyone.

Very good on this side. The QB ability to run is what I feel makes them most dangerous. I see this as Graham’s toughest challenge. I hesitate to pick a winner, and things will become clearer as the season progresses. If pressed, I would pick Graham; but not as confidently as I would preseason. 

21 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Serious question. Do yall ever come on here, read some of the posts and question either your own eyes/assessment of a team or the judgement of others? 

Yes, both. Unless they get it together, I definitely question my assessment of Glenvar. They looked the part in the preseason. It's tough to judge a team by scrimmages, but you can assess individual talent and ability. I guess all the individuals that impressed me haven't formed a team yet.

I've also question some of the hype concerning a few teams in the area that have started the season in less than impressive fashion.

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Serious question. Do yall ever come on here, read some of the posts and question either your own eyes/assessment of a team or the judgement of others? 

I do constantly. Like I feel like Union will struggle against the better teams on the schedule bc the pass defense being so young and a one dimensional offense but some view them in a much brighter light. Also seems like I'm much higher on RV than most anyone else. 

3 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

Union's D-line was very small, but they sure had no problem pushing Richlands big boys around. So take from that wat u may

Technique and scheme will do that for you.  In other words, “Coaching”.

22 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The DL aren’t as good as last year for sure.  They’ve got a good looking freshman starting at DE that has a great frame and is learning each week.  I feel the DTs are a big undersized but one is quick and strong and a “dog” but mass is mass. They will need to stunt and try to use quickness.  The LBs are the best in Region 2 or at least there with them.  Counts kid is a good in the box safety and will hit anyone.  They’ll use Beavers as a man cover on other teams best WR.  If Cannon Hill decides to dominate a game defensively, he can….any game.  There is a reason he has a D-1 offer as a LB.  MLB, Honaker kid is pure aggression and plays with a nasty edge.  Love it.

Grundy game is a bit misleading because D had to play 80% of the first half.  If RV can consistently stop the run and get off the field they will be hard to beat.

The OL is giving QB time to throw so far.  What I’ve noticed is that often they don’t stay on the block long enough.  Mixed bag of high effort kids and low effort kids. 

We will know all we need to know about RV after tonight’s game.  Do they have a reliable run game? Can they stop the run?

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I do constantly. Like I feel like Union will struggle against the better teams on the schedule bc the pass defense being so young and a one dimensional offense but some view them in a much brighter light. Also seems like I'm much higher on RV than most anyone else. 

I'm exactly were you are on Ridgeview not sure why anyone thinks Union can beat them.  Their strength is our weakness and we barely beat them last year and they return almost everyone.