Tazewell @ Colonial Heights

bulldog05-CO2017

It’s difficult to get a read on Colonial Heights because the Colonials are so far away and seldom play any common opponents.  Occasionally they will play Appomattox, and Appomattox drills Colonial Heights just like every other team.  Their tradition is not strong: 0 playoff wins in their history.  Their season started last night, and they dropped a 21-14 game to New Kent, another team which has had nary a whiff of success in 20 years.

All things being equal, I’d favor Tazewell in this game.  From what I have seen on Colonial Heights, they do have athletes but are often undisciplined.  They lost their best player to graduation last season.  It should be a good litmus test.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

It’s difficult to get a read on Colonial Heights because the Colonials are so far away and seldom play any common opponents.  Occasionally they will play Appomattox, and Appomattox drills Colonial Heights just like every other team.  Their tradition is not strong: 0 playoff wins in their history.  Their season started last night, and they dropped a 21-14 game to New Kent, another team which has had nary a whiff of success in 20 years.

All things being equal, I’d favor Tazewell in this game.  From what I have seen on Colonial Heights, they do have athletes but are often undisciplined.  They lost their best player to graduation last season.  It should be a good litmus test.

I have friends that live down that way  that tell me that they are consistently a mediocre to sub-par 3A team.  But that's about all I've got.  The teams around them are loaded with athletes and they should be athletic too.  It is an interesting match up.  

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I have friends that live down that way  that tell me that they are consistently a mediocre to sub-par 3A team.  But that's about all I've got.  The teams around them are loaded with athletes and they should be athletic too.  It is an interesting match up.  

I’ve watched film on them, as much as I could find anyway.  Last year, they had 1 athlete who gave me even a slight concern: their QB, #2.  Turns out he was a senior (now on Virginia State’s roster).  They look marginally athletic, but you can tell they’re extremely raw.  There are several powerhouse schools nearby (like Thomas Dale, L.C. Bird, etc.) that are in prime position to poach talent from just south of them.  

Given that they couldn’t score more than 14 against New Kent (by no means a powerhouse), I don’t think this season bodes as some radical deviation from the norm there.  In terms of a local comparable, Carroll County is the first that comes to mind.  And Carroll County wouldn’t beat Tazewell this year, not even close.

When you take 15-18 year olds on a trip 5+ hours from home, wacky stuff can happen.  But barring something egregious, this shouldn’t be much of a concern.  Been wrong before, will certainly be wrong again, but the safe money would be on Tazewell.

10 hours ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

CH doesn’t look to impressive as I watched them on NFHS. I believe the dawgs will be just fine. 

Just watched their whole game against New Kent myself.  I’d compare CH to Mount View based upon what I saw.  Looks really imposing in pads, then the whistle blows.  Very poorly conditioned and prepared.  This is a game that a team fighting for a playoff home game should win.

I’d say Tazewell has no worries. I was concerned thinking about the five hour trip but they’re spending the night on Friday so that’s good. Coach Harris needs to put those dogs to bed early & keep them focused. If not, maybe what happened to Richlands that year in the playoffs when they went down night before, had a grand ole time. It didn’t end well. They were totally not focused on the task at hand. I think it might have been state championship game. A Richlands person maybe can correct me. They have to be in all business not field trip mentality. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’d say Tazewell has no worries. I was concerned thinking about the five hour trip but they’re spending the night on Friday so that’s good. Coach Harris needs to put those dogs to bed early & keep them focused. If not, maybe what happened to Richlands that year in the playoffs when they went down night before, had a grand ole time. It didn’t end well. They were totally not focused on the task at hand. I think it might have been state championship game. A Richlands person maybe can correct me. They have to be in all business not field trip mentality. 

Should be a good experience for those kids.  I'm going down early for the food!!

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

35-20  Bulldogs. (Depending on how well the QB has healed up - he is still not 100%).  Closer game if he can't sling it downfield.

Don't judge the Dogs by the Graham result. Graham will do that to the remainder of their schedule, except perhaps Union.  

I think that even Harris operating out of the wildcat would be enough for them.  New Kent scored 2 early TDs on funky misdirection plays that are similar to some of the action Harris ran against Virginia High.  Naturally, New Kent being a mediocre team itself, they never went back to that well the rest of the evening.

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

what happened to Richlands that year in the playoffs when they went down night before, had a grand ole time. It didn’t end well. They were totally not focused on the task at hand. I think it might have been state championship game. A Richlands person maybe can correct me. They have to be in all business not field trip mentality. 

That was the 2005 Division 3 state championship game when Richlands was favored against Turner Ashby and lost 

I've lived in the Chester Va. area for the last 52 years and the last time I remember Colonial Heights being any good was in 1988. They lost to Thomas Dale in the first round of the playoffs that year. I think I'm correct on that it has been a long time. I think Tazewell won't have any problem with them but, you never know.

2 hours ago, V-Cats said:

I want to know how this game came about, there's almost no regular season cross-pollination between SWVA and RVA teams, but I'm really excited to see how the Dogs fare

When Mount View backed out of its contractual obligation and left Tazewell in the lurch, there were virtually no teams anywhere who were willing to play Tazewell.  There ended up being 3 finalists willing to host Tazewell: Bourbon County, KY; Keyser, WV; and Colonial Heights, VA.  All are about the same distance away, so Colonial Heights being a Virginia school made things a bit easier on all parties.  I was cheering for Bourbon County, KY, as I have family quite near there.