Giles/Narrows Officially Consolidating

SWVAgridiron

Everyone knew it was inevitable. We all hate to see the small town schools disappear but that's the world we live in around SWVA. Not enough money, resources, jobs, to keep the small town schools open.

Will us outsiders be able to refer to it as Giles County High School after consolidation without having to duck? 

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Everyone knew it was inevitable. We all hate to see the small town schools disappear but that's the world we live in around SWVA. Not enough money, resources, jobs, to keep the small town schools open.

Will us outsiders be able to refer to it as Giles County High School after consolidation without having to duck? 

Narrows will definitely start swinging once they hear that it’s going to be Giles County High School lol

12 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Narrows will definitely start swinging once they hear that it’s going to be Giles County High School lol

I was watching Marty & McGee a few months ago one early Saturday morning. They had a call-in from Radford who referred to Marty's alma-mater as "Giles County High School" and the resulting few minutes were comedy gold. Marty seemed to be genuinely miffed at the reference. He said something along the lines of "listen here, there is NO county high school in Giles. It's Giles High School and the Town of Narrows. Get your stuff together."

7 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

The horn has to stay. Mascot, colors and all of the other stuff is far far behind the absolute need for the horn to stay on. And they are gonna be a pretty decent sized Class 2 school so things could get interesting down that way. 

The horn will definitely stay. My dad spends his own money on maintenance for the horn and equipment needed to power it. Giles High School doesn’t own the horn.

7 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It’s already an issue with the Green community..

It was with the smaller communities in Wise Co as well. Hopefully, your school board and administration won't require police protection from the death threats like ours.

Once everyone realizes it's inevitable, they'll simmer down, but you'll see Narrows and Giles shirts/hats/colors worn by the diehards for a few years. One of the most important things that Wise Co did, and this was a lesson from Lee Co, consolidate all middle and youth programs ASAP. The earlier they learn to be friends, the better teammates they'll be in HS. The Jonesville/Pennington rivalry was still going on in football until a few years ago when Jonesville couldn't field a team. Not sure what their status is now.

For all the posters that unknowingly and falsely called it Giles "County" High School over the years, well, you are about to stumble upon being correct in a year or 2.

It is time for this.  I'm not a huge fan of Narrows, but it's time and it needs to be done.  It's definitely going to take some time to get use to, but I'll get there and support em like always.

56 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I hope the Giles/Narrows consolidation goes smoother than the ones in Wise Co. Kids were fine, but the adults...sheesh.

The adults in Wise County were a bunch of babies. It was mostly around Appalachia. They didn’t want to go to school “with no Vikings!” 

But things eventually calmed down. Once people realized it was happening whether they liked it or not. A few parents sent their kids to Norton because they didn’t want their kids to go to school with Powell Valley people. More power to them I suppose?

Consolidation isn’t ideal. But more often than not it’s for the best. It was for the best in Wise County. It’s for the best in Giles County. 

Where it gets tricky is with things like coaching.  Our Coach at Giles has won state title and had many deep playoff runs.  The Coach at Narrows (being honest and pains me to say even as a Giles fan) has done very, very well.  He's helped that program go from being a bottom feeder to a competitor.  So it's little things like this....who's the Head Coach?  Etc.  Nickname should be something with the name Ragsdale in my opinion, as the Ragsdale name has applicability to both Narrows and Giles.  However, in keeping with the spirit of my time at Giles and those legends who used to set up on the Hill, the nickname for the new school should be the Bandana Bunch.  If some of you younger folks on this board don't know what the Bandana part means in my screename, it's a reference to a Giles non-official and loose nickname from years ago where we had lots of bandana wearing fans, and many would set up on the hill in the East part of the stadium back in the 80's, and the name carried over to other fans outside of Giles sometimes labeling the Spartans as the "Bandana Bunch."  Hence, the Bandana in my name isn't a random word.  There's meaning to it (at least there is for me).

15 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Where it gets tricky is with things like coaching.  Our Coach at Giles has won state title and had many deep playoff runs.  The Coach at Narrows (being honest and pains me to say even as a Giles fan) has done very, very well.  He's helped that program go from being a bottom feeder to a competitor.  So it's little things like this....who's the Head Coach?  Etc.  Nickname should be something with the name Ragsdale in my opinion, as the Ragsdale name has applicability to both Narrows and Giles.  However, in keeping with the spirit of my time at Giles and those legends who used to set up on the Hill, the nickname for the new school should be the Bandana Bunch.  If some of you younger folks on this board don't know what the Bandana part means in my screename, it's a reference to a Giles non-official and loose nickname from years ago where we had lots of bandana wearing fans, and many would set up on the hill in the East part of the stadium back in the 80's, and the name carried over to other fans outside of Giles sometimes labeling the Spartans as the "Bandana Bunch."  Hence, the Bandana in my name isn't a random word.  There's meaning to it (at least there is for me).

Head coach goes to one with longest teaching career if I heard right...nothing to do with football...it will be Jeff if he wants it

This should have been done many many years ago and I've said as much....thanks Green wave for that 

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

Head coach goes to one with longest teaching career if I heard right...nothing to do with football...it will be Jeff if he wants it

This should have been done many many years ago and I've said as much....thanks Green wave for that 

What about the nickname?  What are the odds of Bandana Bunch?