Graham vs Union

Gridiron60

8 hours ago, Dobb83 said:

ok missing the best one and hughs and sawyers have not been impressive

Blevins is definitely missed but Hughes probably had his best game ever against Tazewell last week & Isabelle had his best against Richlands. Sawyers is probably the most improved during last season & he’s had some pretty good outings this year, some better than others. I guess my point being , they are improving and will only get better from here on, Graham’s D line is about as good as they come. They were on fire Friday. I’m not saying we beat Union but if our defense plays the way it has the past two weeks, and offense keeps mixing it up; we’ve got a good chance of squeaking it out. 

19 hours ago, Dobb83 said:

ok missing the best one and hughs and sawyers have not been impressive

So the Gmen have given up 77 yards rushing total in 3 games and their LB's are bad? That comment is so delusional. Not sure Union has a LB that could start at Graham. I'm sure sure Coaches aopreciate the bulletin board material though. 

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Blevins is definitely missed but Hughes probably had his best game ever against Tazewell last week & Isabelle had his best against Richlands. Sawyers is probably the most improved during last season & he’s had some pretty good outings this year, some better than others. I guess my point being , they are improving and will only get better from here on, Graham’s D line is about as good as they come. They were on fire Friday. I’m not saying we beat Union but if our defense plays the way it has the past two weeks, and offense keeps mixing it up; we’ve got a good chance of squeaking it out. 

Wasn't Sawyers the defensive player of the game against Tazewell? I thought that's what the radio guys said. He and Blevins were hurt last year in the semi finals and finals and didn't play a snap on D. If you watch the games, he is who covers in space and rushes occasionally. I think people need to consider scheme when they make comments. Just my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

So the Gmen have given up 77 yards rushing total in 3 games and their LB's are bad? That comment is so delusional. Not sure Union has a LB that could start at Graham. I'm sure sure Coaches aopreciate the bulletin board material though. 

"Not sure Union has a LB that could start at Graham". Is that not bulletin board material? 

Not sure if you remember Justin Fritz that played for Graham a couple years ago or not but his cousin twice removed Johnny Satterfield plays for Union. The kid looks like shredded wheat and loves to run through people. He reminds me an awful lot of Fritz. 

19 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Dude, I don't know of Graham has given up over 100 rushing yards Total in 3 games. It's got to be close or around 100ish, so that's 33 yds per game? You've got to be decent or something if that's all you've given up

77 total including JV time by my count. Hairston had 14, Tazewell , net 1 for the game.  

1 minute ago, Mountain Football said:

"Not sure Union has a LB that could start at Graham". Is that not bulletin board material? 

Not sure if you remember Justin Fritz that played for Graham a couple years ago or not but his cousin twice removed Johnny Satterfield plays for Union. The kid looks like shredded wheat and loves to run through people. He reminds me an awful lot of Fritz. 

Not sure means possibly. Satterfield can ball, no question. Its hard to evaluate playing teams without a W and no offfense. All I'm saying  is 3 of 4 starting  Graham lb's return. Gave up only one TD in district last year. They have given up less than a 100 total rushing yards in three games combined this year. If Satterfield is Lomax, I'm buying , but thats a big ask. 

19 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

Wasn't Sawyers the defensive player of the game against Tazewell? I thought that's what the radio guys said. He and Blevins were hurt last year in the semi finals and finals and didn't play a snap on D. If you watch the games, he is who covers in space and rushes occasionally. I think people need to consider scheme when they make comments. Just my opinion. 

Sawyers has evolved into a great player. I think Union will be a good measuring stick for our defense. I personally think our coaches will make sure our defense is ready for whatever Union throws at Graham. Hopefully, the players rise to the occasion. 

23 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

I'm with Gridiron60 on this. Sawyers has learned his position and is playing great. I think he played safety at LB in a different system. He comes to Graham and has done an outstanding job. His injury last season hurt us more than some realize.

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

Sawyers has evolved into a great player. I think Union will be a good measuring stick for our defense. I personally think our coaches will make sure our defense is ready for whatever Union throws at Graham. Hopefully, the players rise to the occasion. 

Rex and Snake will have them ready. Their game planning is usually spot on. I agree , the LOS battle will be critical and a big measuring stick. I don't see a one dimensional running team consistently scoring on Graham without a great line and a special back like Lomax or Claiborne. 

1 minute ago, Mountain Football said:

I'm with Gridiron60 on this. Sawyers has learned his position and is playing great. I think he played safety at LB in a different system. He comes to Graham and has done an outstanding job. His injury last season hurt us more than some realize.

Also Hughes played in the middle last year and moved to OLB with Sawyers, so I think its an adjustment most don't realize. in today's game, everyone tries to spread defenses out and so having guys that can be physical but play in space is huge. Just my opinion. I'm just a GMen fan, but try to be objective. 

After watching a couple of Union games on NFHS.  I would say that this will be a battle.  The 2 teams are almost mirror images of each other. I believe this is a match up between 2 of the top 5 teams in Virginia AA at the moment.  Should be like a playoff atmosphere in week 4. 

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

After watching a couple of Union games on NFHS.  I would say that this will be a battle.  The 2 teams are almost mirror images of each other. I believe this is a match up between 2 of the top 5 teams in Virginia AA at the moment.  Should be like a playoff atmosphere in week 4. 

Union has home field advantage, Bullit Park is a huge advantage but 🤞GMen can pull out the win. Cam Allen played that field like a professional, nothing rattled him that day back in 2018. It was electrifying. I expect no less of an atmosphere on Friday night.
I think our boys have mental toughness & hopefully come away with the win! 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Union has home field advantage, Bullit Park is a huge advantage but 🤞GMen can pull out the win. Cam Allen played that field like a professional, nothing rattled him that day back in 2018. It was electrifying. I expect no less of an atmosphere on Friday night.
I think our boys have mental toughness & come away with the win! 

Let's talk about 2017 and not 2018 lol. Allen showed great poise there too but the Union defense beat the everloving shit out of him. He never got rattled while being knocked around big time. Strangely it was the 17 game I knew Allen would be a star. Normal players don't get hit and totally shrug it off like he did. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Let's talk about 2017 and not 2018 lol. Allen showed great poise there too but the Union defense beat the everloving shit out of him. He never got rattled while being knocked around big time. Strangely it was the 17 game I knew Allen would be a star. Normal players don't get hit and totally shrug it off like he did. 

Union owned that game in 2017. That was some great football both years. Cam is definitely a special breed of player. Can’t beat Bullit Park for great high school football! I hate the drive but the atmosphere can’t be beat. 

16 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

May aswell add 2015…

That’s another one, I'd rather forget 😂
Union leads the series 5-4 if I’m reading the stats accurately on Fourseasonsfootball. Nothing against you guys but I hope we can tie the series & maybe meet in playoffs to break the tie. 🤞

Graham is the stronger team; but the gap is small enough that an untimely penalty or turnover could keep the game close. With a lucky bounce, plus home field advantage, Union might pull off the upset - but I think it unlikely. Union had two important players injured during their beat down of J I Burton and I don't suspect they will be back in time for the G-men. On the positive side for the Bears, Union, like Graham, has an excellent trio of linebackers and a deep experienced group of linemen. They have gotten good performances from the Andersons plus I tell folks that the freshmen are not starting because the Bears don't have options, as they have a 64 man roster this year. They are starting because they have been playing very well and deserve to start.

In the end, I predict the score to be 28 to 12 Graham. Graham is the stronger team but I suspect the game will be entertaining for the home crowd.

Bullitt Park is a great place to watch a game.    

2 minutes ago, foosballer said:

Sadly for Union the difference in this game could wind up being the loss of their starting kicker.

Hows Honeycutt doing gonna be able to return soon 

6 hours ago, Gmen2021 said:

Not seen satterfield play huh

• GMan locked this topic