Graham vs Union

Gridiron60

5 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

This game will be decided by penalties for the teams on offense and turnovers.  Both teams run it a lot.  This means both teams with fewer overall possessions.  That means.....little margin for error when on offense.  A run team hates 2nd and 20 due to a holding call.  It cripples their drive.  A run team hates a turnover after driving 50 yds and killing 5 minutes of clock only to get nothing.  Graham is a little more dynamic passing than Union, so I favor them because of this, but that's about it.  Toss up type game.  

Turnovers and the team on offense that gets holding calls that destroys their already limited offensive possessions will decide it in my opinion.

True if Union gets a holding call the drive is over.  They tried passing some tonight but it was pretty much a disaster

16 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Hope so because we have zero% passing threat. 

If they get down two plus scores and have to throw, you gotta think the youngster gets the reps right? It would only make sense, he's a better passer while Anderson is more seasoned and a dynamic runner. 

28 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

The radio guy said on postgame comments 9 sacks. I’m not sure if that’s accurate but it was a heck of a lot. The D line was on point tonight. Graham has some freshmen making some waves too. I still think it will be tough next week & hope we end up with at least a point more when the clock hits 00:00. 

I agree.   Union @ Union will be a tough task.  Can't wait to see these 2 teams match up.  We will find out just how good that Graham defense is.  

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

If they get down two plus scores and have to throw, you gotta think the youngster gets the reps right? It would only make sense, he's a better passer while Anderson is more seasoned and a dynamic runner. 

I'd like to see Sykes at least get a couple drives a game the kid can sling the ball

14 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I'd like to see Sykes at least get a couple drives a game the kid can sling the ball

Crazy to me he hasn't played more in these easier games but they are trying to get Anderson reps as well, he's a first year starter as a QB too and needs live action snaps but Sykes could be super valuable in some matchup in some situations, i.e. Against a stingy nasty Graham D and you gotta throw to catch up. 

Assuming Unions backfield is healthy I think they have solid chances of winning. However, I‘d probably put the line at Graham -4.5. What gives them the advantage is they can score in more ways than Union can. If Union needs a touchdown in the final 2:00, it could be tough with the run first offense. This Union teams reminds me of the 2017 team in many ways with just one GLARING difference. 2017 had a NFL player touching the ball every snap.  

15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

CalPreps which I don’t know the accuracy of those projections has Union 28-Graham 27.  I feel like it will be a barn burner but this group could completely fall apart.  Not sure how they will handle the atmosphere & pressure at Bullit Park. 

It's now 31-28 in favor of Graham as of today.  It has Radford vs Galax at 28-24 in favor of Radford.  Their website relies on thousands of data points (scores) where teams play each other and then teams played playing against other teams, etc.  As the season prolongs, the accuracy goes way up.  This is why they normally don't start projecting scores until mid Sep, because there is nothing to go on.  For example, Union can link to Hampton High by multiple opponents through hundreds of teams where they can get back individually to Hampton and Union, and project a score, but it takes multiple weeks of football to do that, and historically after about week 5, it's alarmingly accurate.

7 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

meadows only one

Starting Lbs last year were Meadows, Sawyers, Hughes, Blevins.

This year it will be Meadows, Sawyers, Hughes, Isabel/Jennings.

6 minutes ago, Gfan said:

Starting Lbs last year were Meadows, Sawyers, Hughes, Blevins.

This year it will be Meadows, Sawyers, Hughes, Isabel/Jennings.

ok missing the best one and hughs and sawyers have not been impressive

12 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

ok missing the best one and hughs and sawyers have not been impressive

Dude, I don't know of Graham has given up over 100 rushing yards Total in 3 games. It's got to be close or around 100ish, so that's 33 yds per game? You've got to be decent or something if that's all you've given up

9 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Assuming Unions backfield is healthy I think they have solid chances of winning. However, I‘d probably put the line at Graham -4.5. What gives them the advantage is they can score in more ways than Union can. If Union needs a touchdown in the final 2:00, it could be tough with the run first offense. This Union teams reminds me of the 2017 team in many ways with just one GLARING difference. 2017 had a NFL player touching the ball every snap.  

If Coach Palmer reads this message board and this is the line, I’m now taking Graham by 5.

26 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

This is the game you worry about Union's youth. Particularly on defense.

The secondary is really the only young part of defense so hopefully Graham’s passing game isn’t great this year 

• GMan locked this topic