Graham vs Union

Gridiron60

10 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Advantage Union tonight! Tazewell Co. couldn’t even get two buses to transport the team. I guess the crammed them all on one bus I heard. We need connections to get a charter or maybe a few Ubers 😂. Pathetic! @Union_Fan probably 90-0 now. 😂 

Trust me you guys got it tonight but Union wins rematch in a couple months barring injuries unless Ridgeview gets us first.

39 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Advantage Union tonight! Tazewell Co. couldn’t even get two buses to transport the team. I guess the crammed them all on one bus I heard. We need connections to get a charter or maybe a few Ubers 😂. Pathetic! @Union_Fan probably 90-0 now. 😂 

That's ridiculous, but not surprising. Schools are struggling to find employees or any position.

However, I do like the sound of 90-0. Lol

Safe travels!

48 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Tazewell county blew the budget last week sending Tazewell to Colonial Heights😂.

The Booster Club paid for that trip to Colonial Heights.  Taz County paid a grand total of $0 for that trip.  They have  been in need of Drivers for a couple of years now, they can't find people willing to work, the same as anywhere else.  I think if the pay was better, they would be able to attract some more.

8 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Based on the playmakers we lost, I understood low expectations coming in to the year, but after 3 games, they've looked pretty good to me. Maybe everyone is waiting until they play "somebody." Well, that "somebody" is tonight. Perhaps the buzz will increase a bit if we beat Graham.

Same can be said about Graham.  I think there was a little excitement about beating Bluefield in that first game, but Bluefield is 0-3, Tazewell is 1-2, Richlands is 1-2.  Not impressive wins by any means at this point.  Tonight will say a lot about both teams.  We will find out if they are studs or duds.

Had either team played a high caliber opponent in a playoff game tonight they'd be cleaning out lockers Monday. Neither team played anywhere near their best game. Here's hoping we see a round 2 and a best effort from both teams. Poor job by both Turner and Palmer tonight. I know I'll take heat for this, but you will NEVER see me dogging on TEENAGE kids. That is classless, punk, garbage stuff, but when you're an adult that is compensated to do a job it's a different story. You even still rarely see me all over the coaches, but tonight both failed to ensure discipline and control. Way too many garbage flags in this one. The standard at both Union and Graham is better than that.

9 minutes ago, Unchained said:

Had either team played a high caliber opponent in a playoff game tonight they'd be cleaning out lockers Monday. Neither team played anywhere near their best game. Here's hoping we see a round 2 and a best effort from both teams. Poor job by both Turner and Palmer tonight. I know I'll take heat for this, but you will NEVER see me dogging on TEENAGE kids. That is classless, punk, garbage stuff, but when you're an adult that is compensated to do a job it's a different story. You even still rarely see me all over the coaches, but tonight both failed to ensure discipline and control. Way too many garbage flags in this one. The standard at both Union and Graham is better than that.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

Line play decided this one.  Both had several bonehead mistakes,  miscues, penalties. The chippiness is ridiculous.  If a few would run their feet instead of there mouth,  it would be great.  Graham had an edge just because it appeared they were spreading the wealth on offense a little better than union.   Should be interesting come November.  Good luck to both the rest of the way. 

Definitely not the clean game I was hoping for. I think the story of this game is that Graham overcame their mistakes and made the most of their opportunities. Union didn't.

Perhaps the bad part is that Union has a very capable QB on the sidelines, but isn't utilized in games that we CLEARLY need to be able to pass in.

We can win games by only running the ball, BUT we have to be less predictable. And why in the world do you try a toss sweep with a fullback when he's getting 5-10 yards a carry off tackle.

Oh well. Congrats to the GMen, hopefully we meet again.

Well I'm back and after watching this game tonite. 1st thing Union needs to do is clean up those penalties. 2nd the offense line needs to do nothing in practice but live on a 7 man sled. 3rd and probably the biggest is put Sykes in at QB and get 23 Cochran and the man # 4 Paul Huff on the offensive side kid is electric. Also I can see Edward's still doesn't know how to make adjustments and we love to play daddy ball. Congrats to the G-Men on a hard tough game. 

Agree with sentiments above. Not the finest game for either, both have to better if they want to make a playoff run. Worst game Graham has probably played, undisciplined, both teams. Both coaches should be embarrassed & fix that crap this week in practice once & for all. Both teams are better than they performed tonight. If they meet again, I hope it’s a quality game with exceptional sportsmanship. 

To the two Union fans (teenagers) parading through the visitors side bleachers  yelling “Graham sucks” the entire 2nd half, do your team a favor & stay home next time. Good grief. What a night! 

I wanted some time to think about this game.  Very sloppy game with lots of penalties and lack of discipline. My takeaways:

1. Graham showed some weakness in defense with the runs up the middle. Meadows did good but if he is the primary play maker at MLB, I’m afraid we are going to be in same situation as last year if he gets hurt. 

2. Special Teams- Can we please fix the problems? It’s a big issue. We allow to many yards. 

3. We need continued focus on offense. OL needs a little more work, Meadows had people on him too quick. 

4. Clements had some great runs. Meadows was fantastic running the ball as well as getting some key tackles. Hughes did fantastic especially with the fumble recovery, that helped changed the momentum late in the game. . Nash and Shockley did great. 

Graham was lucky to get the win. Assume we will see Union again and hope to see a much cleaner game. 

Good teams make the other team look bad, both Ds are ahead of the Os , The refs did suck , missed calls for both teams , number 52 for the GMEN held , hooked and sometimes tackled all night , by the way how many people did you have on the sidelines that did nothing 15 or better? 

I do not think there were phantom flags in the game. Graham was guilty on most of the calls. The problem with the officiating was, it seemed to be biased. Union runs the ball 98% of the time and has been known for their holding miscues for a couple years now. All of a sudden the power run team only has one holding call which was a clear takedown, in which the offensive player laid on the defensive player refusing to let him up (holding). Union held regularly and it was not called. 

As for the Unsportsmanlike penalties, Graham was guilty on most of them too. It was probably preached to Union players  that Graham reacts when instigated and the second man usually gets the flag. Yet, no disagreement that Graham was guilty. That will be a common theme the rest of the year until the players learn they don't have to snap back after every shoulder bump or cross word. To be honest its only a few and when watching film you know who they are and you can bait them into it.

Union started getting penalized when the game appeared out of reach due to the time on the clock and needing two scores. The same activity was going on the whole game. I recommend going back to NFHS and watching the game again and see what was called and what was missed.

Union is good and the two teams will probably meet again. 

• GMan locked this topic