Graham vs Union

Gridiron60

2 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

My take:

Graham was the better team. I made the comment that Graham’s penalties would do them in. Union stalling out deep in Graham territory hurt. 

But Palmer’s comments about the flags? Congratulations on giving Union some bulletin board material. Palmer has had how much time to address the lack of discipline? 

Control your players. 

My take, don't worry about somebody else's house unless your's is squeaky clean. Both teams will learn and grow from last night for sure. This board gives enough bulletin board material for everybody. 

Are we playing basketball best of 7 series or is this football where you man the f#@! up and when the game thats at hand? Good grief! I feel like I'm in the basketball thread. Palmer needs to address the lack of discipline?!?!? Union needs to address the inability to win a big game! 

On to the next one.........

1 minute ago, Mountain Football said:

Are we playing basketball best of 7 series or is this football where you man the f#@! up and when the game thats at hand? Good grief! I feel like I'm in the basketball thread. Palmer needs to address the lack of discipline?!?!? Union needs to address the inability to win a big game! 

Thank you! Very well stated. 

1 minute ago, Gmen2021 said:

My take, don't worry about somebody else's house unless your's is squeaky clean. Both teams will learn and grow from last night for sure. This board gives enough bulletin board material for everybody. 

Oh Union had a lack of discipline last night for sure. But Turner’s not the one complaining about one sided flags. I saw some moments when Graham should have been flagged for taunting, but weren’t. 

To be fair, Union should have had a few more flags. 

Lack of discipline on both teams. That’s on both coaches. 

Union’s lack of discipline does not negate Graham’s lack of discipline. 

But the lack of discipline seems to be a real problem for Graham. Kids are learning. But if as a coach you are whining in the paper about penalties against your team instead of saying “We need to fix that” then you are just making excuses and telling the community that you won’t address the lack of discipline.

15 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

I think 6 , seven at most. I do think playing tougher matchups early , which Graham does, prepares kids for high leverage situations, especially on the road. Remember, they are kids. 

I won't argue that. I could see it being 60/40, but 80/20 is laughable and shows UVAO is just a clown shoes homer.

Ask him about 2021 2D basketball lolol

I didn’t go to the game, but based on my prior observations and prediction, Graham is slightly better. Whether 5/10 or 8/10, I can’t say. I probably fall into 7/10 camp myself because of versatility. I prefer the methodical, grind it out style, but the danger is that it requires patience and is much more difficult to continue to execute when the defense covers a small space. Hence, turnovers or inability to convert when the defenders can play up closer. Without a clear advantage in speed or on the offensive lines, Graham’s ability or threat to pass is the difference.

1 minute ago, BearsFan88 said:

Oh Union had a lack of discipline last night for sure. But Turner’s not the one complaining about one sided flags. I saw some moments when Graham should have been flagged for taunting, but weren’t. 

To be fair, Union should have had a few more flags. 

Lack of discipline on both teams. That’s on both coaches. 

Union’s lack of discipline does not negate Graham’s lack of discipline. 

But the lack of discipline seems to be a real problem for Graham. Kids are learning. But if as a coach you are whining in the paper about penalties against your team instead of saying “We need to fix that” then you are just making excuses and telling the community that you won’t address the lack of discipline.

He addresses it, rest assured. 

Just now, tornado99 said:

I didn’t go to the game, but based on my prior observations and prediction, Graham is slightly better. Whether 5/10 or 8/10, I can’t say. I probably fall into 7/10 camp myself because of versatility. I prefer the methodical, grind it out style, but the danger is that it requires patience and is much more difficult to continue to execute when the defense covers a small space. Hence, turnovers or inability to convert when the defenders can play up closer. Without a clear advantage in speed or on the offensive lines, Graham’s ability or threat to pass is the difference.

Maybe Graham can pass the ball but they gained basically zero passing yards. One time they Went deep, it got picked rather easily. 

11 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Yes. Union needs to address the inability to win a big game. Absolutely. They have been on WCYB Friday nights and are 1 for 4 in those games. 

Sounds like Palmer is the one who needs to man up and fix the penalties. Just a thought. 

11 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Maybe Graham can pass the ball but they gained basically zero passing yards. One time they Went deep, it got picked rather easily. 

I probably should have said threat of the pass. Again, I didn’t see it. But if Graham out-rushed Union, even if a big play, I assume the DBs couldn’t stack the box. I should have stated, that I believe In my opinion, Graham had slightly more big-play ability. Either way, two very good teams that evidently struggle with discipline.

Edited by tornado99
Correction

Just now, tornado99 said:

I probably said threat of the pass. Again, I didn’t see it. But if Graham out-rushed Union, even if a big play, I assume the DBs couldn’t stack the box. I should have stated, that I believe In my opinion, Graham had slightly more big-play ability. Either way, two very good teams that evidently struggle with discipline.

And that is on both Turner and Palmer. 

Well said. 

5 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Yes. Union needs to address the inability to win a big game. Absolutely. They have been on WCYB Friday nights and are 1 for 4 in those games. 

Sounds like Palmer is the one who needs to man up and fix the penalties. Just a thought. 

You won't get an argument out of me about cleaning up the penalties but let's be honest here. This was Graham vs Union. Were yall(not implying you specifically) expecting a game of two hand touch?!?!. Come on, these two teams are physical and they play with a lot of heart. Both teams. Isn't this what makes this match up so fun? This game played out exactly how I thought it would. Not saying I knew Graham would win but speaking to the physicality and emotions. I wouldn't have expected any different. To me last night was a good example of ol fashioned swva high school football. They went at it!

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Graham was better last night but nothing in that game made me think Graham was a step above. Graham was better this meeting, if they meet agwin, it could easily go other way. 

I’m with you some people just look at the score and don’t actually see what’s happening on the field

23 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

You won't get an argument out of me about cleaning up the penalties but let's be honest here. This was Graham vs Union. Were yall(not implying you specifically) expecting a game of two hand touch?!?!. Come on, these two teams are physical and they play with a lot of heart. Both teams. Isn't this what makes this match up so fun? This game played out exactly how I thought it would. Not saying I knew Graham would win but speaking to the physicality and emotions. I wouldn't have expected any different. To me last night was a good example of ol fashioned swva high school football. They went at it!

Fair enough then. 

High emotion games are definitely what makes it fun. But you can’t let it get out of hand. If your team is getting a lot of penalties then you as the coach need to step in. They’re kids but kids playing football need their coach to be the coach and step in. My point is that it can cost the kids and their teammates. 

A program I have much respect for is Appomattox and their coach Doug Smith. I just hate them kicking our butts lol. But I have respect for how they conduct themselves and how Doug Smith works with them. 

Blanket statement:
No team is going to have picture perfect behavior. But personal fouls need to be addressed by the coach. Any coach. 

.To say that Graham would win 8 out of 10 is absurd. What nobody is saying is that we can't accurately pick a number because we simply did not see EITHER team at their best, but it sure isn't like Graham was physically superior or next level from the athletes the Bears put on the field. Both are dead even IMO. Graham did a little better job at executing than we did, and that was the difference simple as that. Football is about execution, and we failed miserably last night at this. Here's hoping that both play clean next time around (if we get a rematch). No excuses from the folks in BSG. You beat us fair and square, and we'll shake hands and move on. Just don't talk to us about how you allowed this to be close last night when we made more mistakes than you did:)

I'm so confused now.

Is Graham bad? Is Union Bad? Are officials Good or Bad? Are we both Bad? Are we both good? Are we friends now? This board is like watching the Blair Witch (look it up), all over the place and may cause motion sickness.

😄😁🤬💩💪🙌💣

37 minutes ago, T8KNDookeez said:

I'm so confused now.

Is Graham bad? Is Union Bad? Are officials Good or Bad? Are we both Bad? Are we both good? Are we friends now? This board is like watching the Blair Witch (look it up), all over the place and may cause motion sickness.

😄😁🤬💩💪🙌💣

I think both teams looked horrible imo so confused why some are bragging about how good their team is 

6 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

I think both teams looked horrible imo so confused why some are bragging about how good their team is 

Neither team looked impressive last night. Both have some things to clean up and I am sure the coaches will be working on some things. Namely senseless penalties. Both. Let it be a learning experience for both. If we’re assuming there will be a rematch in November then I look for that game to be one for the ages. 

6 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Neither team looked impressive last night. Both have some things to clean up and I am sure the coaches will be working on some things. Namely senseless penalties. Both. Let it be a learning experience for both. If we’re assuming there will be a rematch in November then I look for that game to be one for the ages. 

I’d say Ridgeview will prevent rematch unless meeting is early 

I just watched the game online. Both teams are much better than any team in 2C on the LOS an Radford included.  Yall might be selling yourselves short. The level of play out there on the line of scrimmage from both sides was very impressive for Class 2 football teams.

• GMan locked this topic