So who wins 1D?

BigWinners

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

It’s looking like PH or Grundy, but don’t count out Norton.  I think the playoffs in 1D could be exciting as there is no clear cut favorite. 

If Norton makes a deep run, man 1D is bad this year. They aren’t the worst team but nowhere near the top of 1D in the last few years like Chilhowie and PH or Holston. 

I saw PH and Rural Retreat last night.  And I saw Northwood and Eastern Montgomery Thursday night.  Not sure what the rest of 1D looks like other than those three Hogoheegee teams.  Northwood didn't impress me much at all.  PH and Rural Retreat to me looked very high level for 1A schools.  Both teams have size and speed.  As classic a game as that was last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see them meet again for the 1D title in the playoffs.  Grundy will probably be in the mix as well.  

If Lebanon continues to gel, they may be a factor. Not saying they win it or anything, but very few ID teams will be able to stop the passing game when it's rolling. They played a good Gate City team tough with a few players out. 

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

At this point it’s hard to even say who will make the playoffs. Margins are most likely razor thin at the moment. 

Shouldn't you guys be near the top? 4-1 has to be one of better records. 

A friend was asking me how power points were done earlier. Here is where I think Region D lines up currently.  I’m not factoring in Twin Valley as a forfeit for anyone.

1 Rye Cove 104 points 17.3 rating

2 Patrick Henry 94 15.7

3 Hurley 84 14

4 Grundy 66 13.2

5 Twin Springs 52 13

6 JI Burton 64 12.8

Holston 64 12.8

8 Northwood 62 12.4

9 Lebanon 70 11.7

10 Honaker 58 11.6

11 Rural Retreat 50 10

12 Thomas Walker 44 7.3

13 Castlewood 34 6.8

14 Eastside 28 4.7

15 Chilhowie 26 4.3

I could very well be off on someone so please don’t think this is gospel at the moment. 

Wow, still fairly wide open.  I'm going to stay with Grundy who has played Tazewell and RV tough and will get points from those teams in power points as they will win a lot of games this year.  If Grundy can develop a decent complimentary passing game they should be fine.  You still have my pre-season favorite PH out there and Lebanon and Burton have been steady this season.  Should be a great playoff in the 1D this year!

11 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I saw PH and Rural Retreat last night.  And I saw Northwood and Eastern Montgomery Thursday night.  Not sure what the rest of 1D looks like other than those three Hogoheegee teams.  Northwood didn't impress me much at all.  PH and Rural Retreat to me looked very high level for 1A schools.  Both teams have size and speed.  As classic a game as that was last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see them meet again for the 1D title in the playoffs.  Grundy will probably be in the mix as well.  

Northwood plays the easist schedule available, beat Marion this year who is beyond bad, then dropped them for the next two-year cycle. A real head scratcher. Best gate they have other than Chilhowie but a consistant 1-9 Marion team is to strong for NW I guess. Northwood has been winning with defense as the offense is pretty much nonexistant. Give credit to PH and RR as they do go get battle tested early which prepares them for district play and the playoffs. As the old saying goes its not how you start but how you finish.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:35 PM, Wolf1207 said:

It’s looking like PH or Grundy, but don’t count out Norton.  I think the playoffs in 1D could be exciting as there is no clear cut favorite. 

That would be my top three with Rural Retreat being a darkhorse.