2D First Round: #7 Tazewell @ #2 Ridgeview

SwvaOG

6 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

We agree to disagree on Baylor

I think Beavers has better hands and is a better route runner.  Baylor is a better athlete and can make more happen after he catches the ball, he is a good route runner and has good hands too.    I think Baylor is more of a threat then Beavers when the ball is thrown his way.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Nothing in this post is correct.

The difference between Ridgeview and Tazewell will be lineplay.  I believe Ridgeview is more experienced on the line and that will be the difference.  Tazewell will need to buy Creasy some time, so he can get the ball to his receivers.  I think that Tazewell has more raw talent at the skill positioins then Ridgeview, but if you can't get the ball to them, it doesn't matter.  Also, Ridgeview's defense is a bit stronger then Tazewell's.  I'll be pulling for the Dogs, but I believe they will have to play their A game and come in with the mentality that they can win this game.

8 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Folks on this board don't really consder the NRV part of Southwest Virginia, but if you want to be technical, I guess they are.

I've always found the following fascinating. The more west you go, the towns west of you don't consider you really SWVA. The town that doesn't consider the town east of it SWVA is considered Not to be SWVA by the town west of it and so on.

Folks, anything west of Roanoke is SWVA. If you poll the folks in Northern VA, Richmond, Hampton Roads, the Shenandoah Valley, and those in Central VA along 460, the overwhelming majority will tell you swva starts as soon as you are west of Roanoke, and for many, Roanoke itself is swva.

Ridgeview by 3 touchdowns, won’t be that close. There talent is much better than Tazewell’s. I’m sure others disagree but everyone is giving Graham the Region so everyone else is just playing for second place. Good luck to both teams. 

BY ALL MEANS, IT'S GRAHAM'S TO LOSE.  RETURNING 2D CHAMPS, 2A RUNNER UP, RETURNED QUIET A FEW.  SOMEBODY GONNA HAVE TO BEAT THEM PLAIN AND SIMPLE TO CLAIM KING OF THE MOUNTAIN.  THAT BEING SAID, IT'S STILL GONNA BE A TIGHT RACE DOWN TO THE FINISH.  A COUPLE OF TEAMS PLAYING BETTER DOWN THE STRETCH OF THE LAST HALF OF THE SEASON COULD MAKE THINGS VERY INTERESTING.  I HOPE EVERY GAME IN 2D IS 17-14ISH KIND OF SCORE.  GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

20 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

I've always found the following fascinating. The more west you go, the towns west of you don't consider you really SWVA. The town that doesn't consider the town east of it SWVA is considered Not to be SWVA by the town west of it and so on.

Folks, anything west of Roanoke is SWVA. If you poll the folks in Northern VA, Richmond, Hampton Roads, the Shenandoah Valley, and those in Central VA along 460, the overwhelming majority will tell you swva starts as soon as you are west of Roanoke, and for many, Roanoke itself is swva.

Well, surely we aren’t leaving this to to those in NOVA.  I would say a very fair question is, what do the folks in Roanoke think?  I’d be surprised if the majority of them consider themselves as residents of SWVA.  Now, go west of Wytheville and I’m willing to bet those residents don’t consider Roanoke to be SWVA.  Both of those demographics would consider Roanoke to be the “New River Valley” as that seems to have taken on geographic an demographic properties.  
So, the only populace that would be in total agreement that Roanoke is SWVA would be NOVA….and their opinion isn’t valued or wanted .  Lol.

I stand by the criteria that 77 may very well be the best division line of what is SWVA proper.  And to add more mud to the water is the newly minted term “far SWVA”.  Where is the hell does that start?  West of Abingdon???  

1 minute ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, surely we aren’t leaving this to to those in NOVA.  I would say a very fair question is, what do the folks in Roanoke think?  I’d be surprised if the majority of them consider themselves as residents of SWVA.  Now, go west of Wytheville and I’m willing to bet those residents don’t consider Roanoke to be SWVA.  Both of those demographics would consider Roanoke to be the “New River Valley” as that seems to have taken on geographic an demographic properties.  
So, the only populace that would be in total agreement that Roanoke is SWVA would be NOVA….and their opinion isn’t valued or wanted .  Lol.

I stand by the criteria that 77 may very well be the best division line of what is SWVA proper.  

Blacksburg to Bristol. 

4 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

Blacksburg to Bristol. 

Hmm….that might be doable.  I still feel like the Blacksburg area is missing a couple of geographical and economical indicators.  Call me biased but SWVA = coal.  The same way as Eastern KY does.  I feel that SWVA, geographically is defined by mountainous terrain with less valleys. Hence the blurred lines around the Wytheville area.  But, the single strongest socioeconomic designator is coal.  Perhaps the rail history of the Roanoke area ties itself nicely into SWVA culture and history.  

1 minute ago, SwvaOG said:

Hmm….that might be doable.  I still feel like the Blacksburg is missing a couple of geographical and economical indicators.  Call me biased but SWVA = coal.  The same way as Eastern KY does.  I feel that SWVA, geographically is defined by mountainous terrain with less valleys. Hence the blurred lines around the Wytheville area.  But, the single strongest socioeconomic designator is coal.

Thats true, just what people from Roanoke think. Abington is farm country, not coal. Roanoke to 64 (Charlottesville - Central VA) North of Ashkand- NOVA, South of Richmond( Tidewater), and Richmond as its own. 

23 minutes ago, UKCAT said:

Ridgeview by 3 touchdowns, won’t be that close. There talent is much better than Tazewell’s. I’m sure others disagree but everyone is giving Graham the Region so everyone else is just playing for second place. Good luck to both teams. 

No offense, but "everyone" isn't possible unless you personally talk to every swva football fan and get an answer. "Everyone" is not just giving Graham the region. I favor them, as do most, but I think they can be beat.

22 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I stand by the criteria that 77 may very well be the best division line of what is SWVA proper.  And to add more mud to the water is the newly minted term “far SWVA”.  Where is the hell does that start?  West of Abingdon???  

I agree with you on all that. One could debate forever on who's opinion matters more, the populace living there or those outside of it. I'm just coming at it from someone who lived in Hampton Roads and NOVA, and has relatives in Shenandoah Valley. They overwhelmingly feel that when they've reached Roanoke, they have entered Swva. The kids in eastern VA along the Potomac and those in the Tidewater feel that when they go to the Shenandoah Valley to play a game, they are going "far west and into the mountains."

To the folks in Hampton Roads and NOVA, Roanoke is perceived as "a long ways away in the Souhwestern part of the state" They basically perceive Roanoke as the Swva Capitol. 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

What led you to this prediction? Just curious 

Seeing if I can rile up the Tazewell fans lol 

Nah i just think the difference is up front. Ridgeview’s o/d-line (most M7 teams for that matter) are big, tough and mean, and they’ve done well against the best lines in the region outside of Graham all year so I don’t think the Bulldogs will give them anything they can’t handle.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The difference between Ridgeview and Tazewell will be lineplay.  I believe Ridgeview is more experienced on the line and that will be the difference.  Tazewell will need to buy Creasy some time, so he can get the ball to his receivers.  I think that Tazewell has more raw talent at the skill positioins then Ridgeview, but if you can't get the ball to them, it doesn't matter.  Also, Ridgeview's defense is a bit stronger then Tazewell's.  I'll be pulling for the Dogs, but I believe they will have to play their A game and come in with the mentality that they can win this game.

Ridgeview does have more experience on the lines, and that’s the one concern I have as a biased fan coming into the game.  Tazewell has some talent, but some of it is young or undersized.  Ridgeview should probably watch the film from Graham to see what they need to do in pressuring Creasy; once Graham started pinning its ears back and gaining confidence, Creasy essentially had no time to allow plays to develop.  That will be the key for Ridgeview, as you say.  

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

What led you to this prediction? Just curious 

He’s probably looking at Tazewell and Ridgeview’s common opponents.

Grundy
Ridgeview: W, 34-20
Tazewell: W, 28-14

Richlands
Ridgeview: W, 33-6 (home)
Tazewell: W, 56-37 (away)

Battle 
Ridgeview: W, 42-6
Tazewell: W, 39-16 (backup QB)

Bluefield
Ridgeview: L, 44-24
Tazewell: L, 46-20

You add up the total number of points that Ridgeview was better than Tazewell in those 4 combined games, it comes out to 27 points.  Hence, Ridgeview is 27 points better than Tazewell.

It’s science.

22 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Calpreps

Ridgeview 31, Tazewell 17

Graham 41, Central 13

Virgina 40, Lee 28

Union 28, Gate City 14

Basically, 3 of the 4 games with teams favored by about 2 TDs, and 1 of the 4 games with a 4 TD favorite.

Have you ran them for 1D? I would guess they are much closer.

Makes a hard comparison when we  have the swd/mtn 7 matchups that go haywire.  Bad richlands beat gc but smoked by rv,abingdon, union vs Gra physical and fast game as usual. Tazewell and VHS don't dab into it enough. Marion VS GC not much to go on either.  Wish we were a larger region so we could get a few more good matchups during the season. 

My only prediction that can't be disputed will be that everyone coming to this game, that has never been to Ridgeview, will be vastly impressed with the school and grounds.

As far as the game itself, I see The Pack winning, but the margin could be 7 points or 28. I wasn't super impressed with their performance against Union, but the team that played GC was dangerous.