2D First Round: #7 Tazewell @ #2 Ridgeview

SwvaOG

I think if the RV that played last night shows up then this one could be over with quickly. Short passes and playmakers in space are just too much for Tazewell to handle. The first quarter will tell you all you need to see. If that takes place I say RV by 28+. 

If not I believe it will be a ballgame coming down to the final quarter. I would still say RV pulls it off but much closer. RV by 7-10.

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

This should be a fun matchup. I do believe Tazewell’s speed creates some matchup issues as Bluefield, but not enough. If Beavers gets his touches, I’m going 42-28 Ridgeview.

If RV spreads the ball around and stays with the short passing game, I think they win by 14 to 17.  If they revert offensively, they will be in a ballgame and Tazewell can win.  I don't trust the Ridgeview staff to stay the course after 4 quarters of getting the ball to your athletes.  They may very well stay the course all the way to the end of the season (whenever that is) but it's so hard to change philosophy and mentality at game 10 in the season and stay with that change.  It will be interesting to see if old habits reemerge, or if they finally realize the damage they can do offensively to opponents simply by quick hitches and immediately snapping the ball and throw it wide instead of 50 yds vertically.

Tazewell is probably the worst matchup Ridgeview could have drawn as a #2 seed in Round 1.  Tazewell is quite capable of slinging the football, and that’s where Ridgeview has been, shall we say, deficient at times.  Bluefield carved them up like a Christmas goose, and Tazewell is probably the closest comparable to any opponent they’ve faced this season in terms of offensive scheme.

Now, the reason Ridgeview is hosting this game and Tazewell sits as a #7 seed is continuity and resiliency.  Tazewell looked plenty the part against Virginia High and Fort Chiswell, but has had some bizarre head-scratchers (getting blown off the field against Bluefield, getting shell-shocked against Graham in the 1st quarter, the stinker at Colonial Heights).  Ridgeview, aside from the Bluefield game, has been rock steady.  You don’t win the Mountain 7 unless you aren’t.

The $1,000,000 question: what will these teams be like between the ears when it’s time to kick off?  Both have shown flashes of being excellent, both have some playoff demons to exorcise.  Ridgeview should rightly be favored, but Tazewell has more than a puncher’s chance if they have the right frame of mind and believe in what they’re doing.

Looking forward to seeing SWVA’s best 2 QBs and best 2 WRs square off either Friday night or Saturday.

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

I consider them swva but I wanted someone to clarify if they are or aren't 

I think most of SWVA considers the official line to pretty blurred after Wytheville.  I'd go so far as to say 77 is a fairly accurate divider boundary.

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Tazewell is probably the worst matchup Ridgeview could have drawn as a #2 seed in Round 1.  Tazewell is quite capable of slinging the football, and that’s where Ridgeview has been, shall we say, deficient at times.  Bluefield carved them up like a Christmas goose, and Tazewell is probably the closest comparable to any opponent they’ve faced this season in terms of offensive scheme.

Now, the reason Ridgeview is hosting this game and Tazewell sits as a #7 seed is continuity and resiliency.  Tazewell looked plenty the part against Virginia High and Fort Chiswell, but has had some bizarre head-scratchers (getting blown off the field against Bluefield, getting shell-shocked against Graham in the 1st quarter, the stinker at Colonial Heights).  Ridgeview, aside from the Bluefield game, has been rock steady.  You don’t win the Mountain 7 unless you aren’t.

The $1,000,000 question: what will these teams be like between the ears when it’s time to kick off?  Both have shown flashes of being excellent, both have some playoff demons to exorcise.  Ridgeview should rightly be favored, but Tazewell has more than a puncher’s chance if they have the right frame of mind and believe in what they’re doing.

Looking forward to seeing SWVA’s best 2 QBs and best 2 WRs square off either Friday night or Saturday.

I hope Tazewell shows up big & sends Ridgeview into basketball season. It all depends on their frame of mind but I’d like the see all SWD teams advance. I’d also add Jones to the list of top QBs in SWVA. 

3 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Going by that, Radford isn’t included. I’d never paid attention till you mentioned it because they’re an option in the poll.  

That’s because I erroneously left Radford off of the map when I created it. A second map was made, but it never made it up lol. 

So, yes, as far as this board goes, Radford is SWVA. And they are the final team lol. 

If the RV that played at GC shows up for this game it’s hard to imagine RV not getting another impressive win. It was just amazing how many weapons that was used offensively against GC and how shutdown lights out the defense was. However, if they show up as the regular season RV team that was offensively self destructive, it will be a long day, but I still believe they would get the win. Finally seeing RV play to potential was a really good show. Question is that now they have experienced it themselves, can they keep doing it?

20 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That’s because I erroneously left Radford off of the map when I created it. A second map was made, but it never made it up lol. 

So, yes, as far as this board goes, Radford is SWVA. And they are the final team lol. 

Not enough coal mining or farming or deer hunting to be SWVA.  They aren’t a cultural fit.  I reject your stance and demand that we put this to vote!

8 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Not enough coal mining or farming or deer hunting to be SWVA.  They aren’t a cultural fit.  I reject your stance and demand that we put this to vote!

It’s not my stance, it’s @GMan’s hahaha. 

Both QB's are fine when they can stand in the pocket (most QB's are). The difference will be pressure. The reason that they both had trouble vs Bluefield is Bluefield put them under pressure and made them move their feet. The team that can stand in the pocket and throw wins. If neither can it will be the team than can run the ball enough to limit the pressure. As usual it comes down to line play.

10 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

If what Ryan says is true about radford being SWVA...they have the best QB and best WR in SWVA buy a healthy margin

Agree on QB, but disagree some on Baylor at WR compared to Beavers. No question regarding Baylor as a defensive back at the D1 level and he's unparalleled in the coverage area, but......at the WR position, I think Beavers is equally as good.  Just my opinion.