2D First Round: #6 Lee @ #3 Virginia High

SwvaOG

Mirror image almost,  running qb for vhs might be the difference.  Speed is never an issue at vhs, but lee has a couple of guys that can create a lot of issues for dbs/lbs.

Defensively about the same,  not overly physical but cover decent.  Not seen vhs, but lee struggled a little with a beat up abingdon and vhs stumbled against a slower one dimension richlands.  

42-40 kind of game,  one kicker decides this one. 

I don’t know anything about Lee’s QB but Jones in my opinion is one of the best overall QB in SWVA. What he does comes naturally, he’s an athlete. He can throw deep with accuracy & he can squirm out several yards when he needs to on the ground. With that said, it could be a barn burner and come down to the last play of the game. 

Probably the best matchup Lee could have got in rd 1. I feel like they have more weapons on offense than VA High. That being said Lees defense has to be able to contain their playmakers or it’ll be a long night, but they’ve certainly improved since the start of the season. I don’t think the Bearcats can stop all of Hammonds, Early, Huff and Roop. The only thing that can stop that offense in my opinion is bad play calling or player errors. Should be an absolute shootout. 

LEE'S RUN GAME WITH THE ADDITION OF THE FRESHMAN #4 ON SOME JETS AND #33 HAS HELPED THEM BALANCE OUT A LITTLE MORE WITH HUFF BETWEEN THE TACKLES AND THEIR PASSING GAME.  I WOULD SAY BETWEEN VHS/LEE THERE WILL BE 70 PASS ATTEMPTS.  NEITHER ARE RUN-HEAVY BUT PLAY DECENT RUN D.  IT'LL BE  A CLOSE ONE.

Coach Carroll will bring the Generals to Bristol face off against Coach Patterson's Bearcats. Two excellent coaches and men are being rewarded for leading their teams into the playoffs. Lee definitely has things going in the right direction. Va. High played the tougher schedule as Lee feasted on several 1A opponents. I'm going Va. High 35-28 in a close one with the home team winning. On a side note, my guess is Marion would give two first round draft picks to have Carroll back as they have hit rock bottom.

I just think Jones is to much for Lee to overcome, Lee has some good playmakers but Jones is just to explosive. I like Va High by 2 scores. Lee played a kinda weak schedule also by playing those 1A schools. 

2 hours ago, UKCAT said:

I just think Jones is to much for Lee to overcome, Lee has some good playmakers but Jones is just to explosive. I like Va High by 2 scores. Lee played a kinda weak schedule also by playing those 1A schools. 

I agree completely.

Va High 42

Lee 28

9 hours ago, UKCAT said:

Yeah, I tend to agree with the last couple posts as bad as I want us to win. On one hand, I get that coach Carroll put some weaker teams on the schedule to help build confidence and get the fans something to be excited about again. On the other hand, I’m afraid that dominating a bunch of small and/or weaker teams is gonna cost us now. I keep seeing our players getting things like “player of the week” but of course it’s when we ran or threw on the smaller or weaker teams we talked about above. You didn’t see us getting that kind of yardage against teams like ridgeview or union, because we’re just not that caliber yet. I think we’re going the right direction and it’s gonna be close though. Relieved we aren’t playing rv, Graham, or union in the first round bc we definitely wouldn’t stand a chance there. Also, interested to see these QBs in the same game. I’m thinking Pendergraft isn’t even gonna compare to jones. 

Crazy fact: 

Including the pre-1970 championship games, Virginia High has never won a home playoff game. Not one. All their previous playoff wins have come on the road or at neutral sites

The only wins in the modern era: 

1973: Pulaski (played at Radford HS)

1987: at Richlands, at Marion (for the Division 4 Region IV championship)

2004: at Grundy

2013: at Gretna

We've also only hosted two playoff games, both losses: 

2002: Grundy

2017: Marion

I think Virginia wins comfortably.  Lee has yet to see the level of athleticism at the skill positions that Virginia High brings to the field this season, and though the line play is a question mark, they’re not hopeless on that front.  Carroll is a whale of a coach, and Lee has some pieces…so it’s a testament to that program to see where Lee is now compared to the last decade.

One fun fact about this game is that neither Lee nor Virginia have 1 single win against a 2A team with a winning record.  That’s pretty hard to do TBH.  

4 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I think Virginia wins comfortably.  Lee has yet to see the level of athleticism at the skill positions that Virginia High brings to the field this season, and though the line play is a question mark, they’re not hopeless on that front.  Carroll is a whale of a coach, and Lee has some pieces…so it’s a testament to that program to see where Lee is now compared to the last decade.

One fun fact about this game is that neither Lee nor Virginia have 1 single win against a 2A team with a winning record.  That’s pretty hard to do TBH.  

Fun Fact…VA High has lost to Graham and the great “Tazewell”!  

4 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Fun Fact…VA High has lost to Graham and the great “Tazewell”!  

Yes, the only two 2A teams on Virginia’s schedule with a winning record…like I said.  It’s a matchup of the 2 teams in Region D that gamed the VHSL Power Points system harder than any other, which I find humorous.  

I can’t even post something complimentary of your boys without you coming in to take a cheap shot.  Just like with your compadre, it’s flattering, but also really weird that you show up everywhere I post.

12 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Ridgeview and Union have as good if not better athletes than VA High

3 minutes ago, generallyspeaking said:

Granted they have better, more physical lines, which will make even an average athlete look like a world-beater.  

Take Riverheads, for example.  You put Cayden Cook-Cash in a decathlon with Patrick Poku, and Poku would destroy him.  But Cook-Cash is far more accomplished in terms of games won and statistics.  

What I’m saying, Virginia presents matchup problems that no other opponent in the M7 can replicate.  You let Virginia get a head of steam and they’ll burn you.  From what I’ve seen of Lee (which is admittedly not a ton), I don’t think Lee has the horses to match up with all the weapons Virginia brings.  

I’d be very happy to see Lee win.  You all have endured a generation lost in the wilderness, and I am happy to see signs of Lee finding their way again.  

After watching VHS and Richlands I’m more confident in the Generals. Lee seems to be much better up front on both sides of the ball. The defense has gotten much better since the first few weeks and I think they’ll be able to make enough plays to pull out the W. Both teams played a weak schedule, but I think Lee certainly played the tougher district games, and they both barely beat Central so it should be pretty close. 45-41 Generals

On 11/7/2022 at 7:40 PM, generallyspeaking said:

I agree with you on Ridgeview having better athletes than VHS Union maybe but we don’t like using them too often 

10 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

I agree with you on Ridgeview having better athletes than VHS Union maybe but we don’t like using them too often 

If they had a true QB so they could put Anderson out in the slot or something like that they’d be a lot better off. For all the talent that’s come through Union in the last few years i’m surprised they haven’t had any stud QBs (Mitchell’s senior year doesn’t count lol)