Appo vs Graham

Gridiron60

Rematch from last year! Appo is Appo and if any team can find a way to stop Clements & that power ru, itโ€™s Coach Smith. I do think game will be determined on the LOS on both sides of the ball. ๐Ÿคžthe officiating crew is different!ย 

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Rematch from last year! Appo is Appo and if any team can find a way to stop Clements & that power ru, itโ€™s Coach Smith. I do think game will be determined on the LOS on both sides of the ball. ๐Ÿคžthe officiating crew is different!ย 

If Appo can't throw as good as Ridgeview...I like our chances.ย 

Iโ€™m a bit edgy that Graham will be facing a D1 athlete. ย Thatโ€™s what King William threw at them last year after all. ย The power run was something Ridgeview just didnโ€™t have the people to stop. ย Appomattox may or may not have the personnel, I donโ€™t know. ย  If Smith stops it with a scheme, the really interesting twist will be if Graham discovers what that scheme left exposed. ย All of Grahamโ€™s weapons were not seen today. ย 

18 minutes ago, GHS89 said:

Iโ€™m a bit edgy that Graham will be facing a D1 athlete. ย Thatโ€™s what King William threw at them last year after all. ย The power run was something Ridgeview just didnโ€™t have the people to stop. ย Appomattox may or may not have the personnel, I donโ€™t know. ย  If Smith stops it with a scheme, the really interesting twist will be if Graham discovers what that scheme left exposed. ย All of Grahamโ€™s weapons were not seen today. ย 

If the power run is working, why show the rest of your hand? Iโ€™m sure Coach Smith is well aware of Grahamโ€™s arsenal. Iโ€˜m just glad we have other weapons.ย 

1 hour ago, GHS89 said:

Agree.ย  Pennix is very similar to Clements.ย  He is a play-maker and was the difference for them in the Glenvar game.ย  I think Appo can pass the ball, but not nearly as pass oriented as Ridgeview, they run first and pass 2nd, very balanced team that Graham will be facing.ย  I think having everybody healthy is big for Graham this year.ย  Sawyers makes a big difference for Graham on the edge.ย  I believe that the lineplay for Graham has the edge on Appomattox, but Appomattox has enough athletes to compensate.ย  Should be a good one.ย  That power-run for Graham is something else, I love to watch them run that formation.ย  Not going to make a prediction, because Smith always makes the most of what he has and Graham's coaches have proven to be very good at game planning and adjusting as well.ย  Can't wait for this game.ย  Glad Graham has homefield advantage, maybe this year, the city of Bluefield won't let Appomattox practice on the field the day before the game like last season.ย  They should have go go somewhere else, like Princeton or Richlands.ย  I know it's courtesy to let another team practice nearby, but you have home field advantage for a reason.ย  Tazewell County pays for Graham to use that stadium, Appomattox shouldn't get a chance to practice on it for free.

ย 

I think the deciding factor in this game will be if the Appo QB can use his athleticism to escape and adjust to the pressure that Graham will undoubtedly bring to him.ย  He is a sophomore, he is good, but can he handle that kind of pressure.ย  If he can, could be a long day for Graham.ย 

3 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

I think Graham is done next week. I think Appo will just load the box and make them throw it. Too one dimensional this year for Appo IMO

I could definitely see how we could look one dimensional from the outside, but we have a solid qb and receiving group. We are very capable of passing, but why pass when you can shove it down the middle for 400 yards?

7 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

I think Graham is done next week. I think Appo will just load the box and make them throw it. Too one dimensional this year for Appo IMO

One dimensional? Last year we had a QB with a broken leg & another starter out with a broken collarbone and managed to win. I actually think we are stronger at the LOS than last year. Meadows is very capable QB and we have some really good receivers. Graham has gotten better at the short intermediate pass game this season than in previous years. I agree with @Faithful G-manย , why pass unless you have to? I respect your take but hope youโ€™re wrong, lol.ย 

Graham should be favored. Coach Smith is an amazing amazing coach and Appomattox has been incredibly consistent going back to 2015. They have a punchers chance in EVERY game they play. Iโ€™ve watched a lot of the raiders games this season and believe me, Pennix is the real deal. Donโ€™t let him get a step. BUT the Gmen are significantly better on the LOS.ย 
ย 

Gmen 51

Raiders 30

Also I am NOT attempting to start a massive transfer debate here so letโ€™s please not let it get there ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ. But where did this run of athletes from Graham come from? Did people see this coming or what is the deal? I know The staff at Graham is very good but you canโ€™t teach what they have right now.ย 

I said it in another thread. I would run Clements till the cows come home. ย T when Graham tried to pass today it was not very good. ย Their best chance is the power run game. ย If appo canโ€™t throw all that well just go man and load the box.ย 

4 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Also I am NOT attempting to start a massive transfer debate here so letโ€™s please not let it get there ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ. But where did this run of athletes from Graham come from? Did people see this coming or what is the deal? I know The staff at Graham is very good but you canโ€™t teach what they have right now.ย 

I think a lot of Grahamโ€™s success is consistency. They live in the weight room during the off season. They practice hard too. They practice full pads, tackle, etc. They watch lots of film. They have some natural athleticism but I think the coaches do a great job developing the talent & knowing the strengths of their players. Those boys would run through a brick wall for those coaches.ย 

3 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

As an outsider, I say both. Graham has mostly had good athletes close to the school and sharing the border with Bluefield, WV helps. The recent success has made Graham overtake Bluefield as a destination leading to transfers filling the spots. Graham is good without transfers, virtually unstoppable with them.

Not speaking from a high horse, admittedly Richlands formerly benefited from transfers. However, I think itโ€™s safe to say the talent level in Buchanan, Russell, and western McDowell pales in comparison to Bluefield, Princeton, and eastern McDowell.

2 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think a lot of Grahamโ€™s success is consistency. They live in the weight room during the off season. They practice hard too. They practice full pads, tackle, etc. They watch lots of film. They have some natural athleticism but I think the coaches do a great job developing the talent & knowing the strengths of their players. Those boys would run through a brick wall for those coaches.ย 

Mg previous post wasnโ€™t made to take lightly this very important part of their success. This maximizes the talent already there or coming in as a result of that success.

13 minutes ago, CPF said:

When the time comes and Graham moves out of Mitchell Stadium you can point to that day as the straw that broke the camels back. Unbelievable they would allow that.

Not starting anything, but why is it a big deal for them to have a practice there the day before?
College and pros travel all the time and have walk through the day before at the site of the game.ย 

23 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

As an outsider, I say both. Graham has mostly had good athletes close to the school and sharing the border with Bluefield, WV helps. The recent success has made Graham overtake Bluefield as a destination leading to transfers filling the spots. Graham is good without transfers, virtually unstoppable with them.

Not speaking from a high horse, admittedly Richlands formerly benefited from transfers. However, I think itโ€™s safe to say the talent level in Buchanan, Russell, and western McDowell pales in comparison to Bluefield, Princeton, and eastern McDowell.

I would say that is accurate, and fair. But kids want to play where they can win and have a chance to go to college and play. And right now that is happening at Graham.Taymon, Cam Allen, Zay, Brody, lots of others all playing well at next level. Kids see that and want to do it as well.Richlands also benefitted from this approach. If kids aren't happy they're going somewhere where they will be.ย 

1 minute ago, Wolf1207 said:

Not starting anything, but why is it a big deal for them to have a practice there the day before?
College and pros travel all the time and have walk through the day before at the site of the game.ย 

Because we paid 70k to use that field last year.

3 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Letโ€™s say you won today and Appo was coming to Rose Ridge next Saturday to play. Are you alright with them prancing into your stadium to practice without even asking your head coach or administration the night the before the game?ย 

2 minutes ago, CPF said:

Because we paid 70k to use that field last year.

Gotcha. ย Didnโ€™t know that part of it.ย 
Does Beaver pay to use it as well? If they do, they need to invest in remodeling and adding an additional restroom. ย 

1 minute ago, Wolf1207 said:

Does Beaver pay to use it as well? If they do, they need to invest in remodeling and adding an additional restroom. ย 

They spent all that money to remodel the restrooms behind the home stands. They were really bad.lol

5 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Graham, Bluefield, Bluefield State, and Bluefield Univ all pay rent. They spend the money on tree planting and dog parks.

1 minute ago, CPF said:

Graham, Bluefield, Bluefield State, and Bluefield Univ all pay rent. They spend the money on tree planting and dog parks.

Itโ€™s amazing what local boards will spend money on around here.ย