SWVa Top 20

BlueDevil4Life2008

Kingsport Times News used to publish a Top 20 for SWVa in high school basketball. 
Would anyone like to give their opinion of a SWVa Top 20 for today?

I would think it might look something like this  

Southwest Virginia Top 20

1. Abingdon - Class 3

2. Virginia High - Class 2

3. Graham - Class 2

4. Marion - Class 2

5. Gate City - Class 2 

6. Ridgeview - Class 2

7. Union - Class 2

8. Eastside - Class 1

9. Twin Springs - Class 1

10. Grundy - Class 1

11. Lebanon - Class 1

12. Richlands - Class 2

13. Holston - Class 1

14. Tazewell - Class 2

15. Lee - Class 2

16. J.I. Burton - Class 1

17. Central (Wise) - Class 2

18. John Battle - Class 2

19. Thomas Walker - Class 1

20. Honaker - Class 1

15 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Kingsport Times News used to publish a Top 20 for SWVa in high school basketball. 
Would anyone like to give their opinion of a SWVa Top 20 for today?

AA

1. Virginia High

2. Gate City

3. Ridgeview

4. Graham

5. Union

6. Central

7. Marion

8. Tazewell 

9. Lee

10. Battle/Richlands

I just wish the papers would put player stats in the paper like they used to. They were broken down by district and it was neat to see who was scoring the most from each district. And put the district standings in the paper. They can put every single score and stat from every pro league in the world, but try to find who is leading the black diamond district or cumberland district in scoring. Or just try to find any district's standings. It is like it's some huge secret that only the ADs at the schools are allowed to know. And they wonder why nobody gets the paper anymore. 

On paper, Abingdon shouldn't be beat by anyone from this area.  The Mountain 7 is actually down compared to recent years with most teams in some rebuilding phase.  Graham has athletes but historically they are football players who happen to play basketball.  Ridgeview and VA High have some very athletic kids as well but just aren't at a level high enough to overcome that kind of size.  Abingdon will face their test when they hit region play, then we will see if the guard play can handle that type of pressure.

10 hours ago, stantheman said:

who is better on the boys side,   

I'm not saying Abingdon isn't a top 3-5 team in the area, but from what I've heard they're not as good defensively as they are offensively. I think it's wide open on who the best team is in the area truly is. And winning the M7 isn't a lock for Abingdon. Union will reload; Ridgeview will hold their own; Gate City & Battle are going be strong test. Just not sold yet on Abingdon.

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Better put narrows in there somewhere folks...Pruett is as good as it gets in swva imo

I ranked based on far SWVA region D-Wythe might be the best team in C and I’m sure Narrows is right there. 

Wythe was dominant at Va High

4 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I'm not saying Abingdon isn't a top 3-5 team in the area, but from what I've heard they're not as good defensively as they are offensively. I think it's wide open on who the best team is in the area truly is. And winning the M7 isn't a lock for Abingdon. Union will reload; Ridgeview will hold their own; Gate City & Battle are going be strong test. Just not sold yet on Abingdon.

The reason I used the phrase "on paper" is because the season hasn't really gotten underway yet.  But, until someone does knock Abingdon off, they are the heavy favorite for #1 in swva.  You arguably have the top 2 players in the area with Osborne and Ramsey on the same team.  Osborne proved last year that he was capable of big things with Ramsey being injury plagued for most of the season.  He gave Bunch a run for POY statistically even though Abingdon did not have the team success that Union had.  I do believe teams like Gate City, Ridgeview, Graham and VA High have tremendous athletes, but they must prove their basketball ability before they can get the nod over Abingdon in my opinion.

On 12/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, TheDuke said:

I just wish the papers would put player stats in the paper like they used to. They were broken down by district and it was neat to see who was scoring the most from each district. And put the district standings in the paper. They can put every single score and stat from every pro league in the world, but try to find who is leading the black diamond district or cumberland district in scoring. Or just try to find any district's standings. It is like it's some huge secret that only the ADs at the schools are allowed to know. And they wonder why nobody gets the paper anymore. 

Often schools dont provide them like they used to.    I dont know how hard they push for them either to be fair too.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Often schools dont provide them like they used to.    I dont know how hard they push for them either to be fair too.

I know of a lot of schools that just make them up lol. Nothing like seeing an article that says a kid averages 30 points and 14 rebounds a game or some craziness like that. 

Season gets going more tonight with Gate City playing Tennessee High, Northwood at Marion, Lebanon at Honaker, Castlewood at Patrick Henry, Tazewell at Abingdon, and Richlands at Mountain Mission.  TN High looks really improved from last year. 

35 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

Season gets going more tonight with Gate City playing Tennessee High, Northwood at Marion, Lebanon at Honaker, Castlewood at Patrick Henry, Tazewell at Abingdon, and Richlands at Mountain Mission.  TN High looks really improved from last year. 

Lee at Rye Cove, and Ridgeview at Burton as well