George Wythe vs Riverheads

Gridiron60

Riverheads is the second best team in all of Class 1 or 2 I saw live or on NFHS this year behind Graham. Riverheads will have a 50-50 toss up game next year in the state semis with King William/Poquoson (both teams in KW and Poquoson will be much better than this year, especially Poquoson who returns 18 of 22 starting positions). But I think Riverheads has a great shot to go back to Salem next year. 

The best High School Football player I saw this year in Virginia was Cayden Cook Cash.

Guy on Techsideline is a big Riverheads fan and watches all their games. He said Riverheads will be a playoff team for the next few years but they will fall back quite a bit. He doesn't think they'll make it to Salem for the next couple years at least.

2 hours ago, VT W1N said:

Guy on Techsideline is a big Riverheads fan and watches all their games. He said Riverheads will be a playoff team for the next few years but they will fall back quite a bit. He doesn't think they'll make it to Salem for the next couple years at least.

Riverheads fans I talked to said similar yesterday. They told me that next year, they will be as good as they were this year, and then a drop off comes.

Complete speculation but next year should be fairly good with a decent playoff run.  IMO there will be a drop off for 3 or 4 years where we could be 8-2 or 4-6 depending on development. Then there is always the possibility of Norcross stepping aside (another coaching change) or lack of participation if the team isn’t winning rings. Lots of things could impact the future in G’ville. 

18 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

Complete speculation but next year should be fairly good with a decent playoff run.  IMO there will be a drop off for 3 or 4 years where we could be 8-2 or 4-6 depending on development. Then there is always the possibility of Norcross stepping aside (another coaching change) or lack of participation if the team isn’t winning rings. Lots of things could impact the future in G’ville. 

That's a GOOD problem to have.  If you have a program in the situation where there is lack of participationg due to not winning a state title every year, then 99.9% of other High School Football teams in Virginia would trade with you to have that problem.  Football is in the blood at Riverheads.  Coaching changes are Critical and matter.  That would be the only reason Riverheads takes a big drop in my opinion.  

I think it's cowardly that Riverheads appealed to the VHSL to move down to Class 1 when the 2023-24 alignments were announced this past summer. It's pretty obvious the administration is trying all it can to keep that state championship streak intact, presumably to set records.

Riverheads would be competitive in Class 2 in most sports and probably even be a top 5-ish football program in that class. Region 2B is also FAR more compact geographically for them. Region 1B goes south of Lynchburg and all the way to Sussex / Surry now.

They would still generally be the top program in 2B but in a given year some of the teams in that region (Central, Stuarts Draft, etc) could knock them off. Right now no one in Class 1 can touch them, let alone the region. 

i cant believe GW left their QB in after half!! couldnt move and was punished when they former 1 qb they should have put in at least he could move and run!! that poor QB took a beating!! i understand the kid wanted to play but the coach has to protect the kid from himself!! poor decision!!

10 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Riverheads is the second best team in all of Class 1 or 2 I saw live or on NFHS this year behind Graham. Riverheads will have a 50-50 toss up game next year in the state semis with King William/Poquoson (both teams in KW and Poquoson will be much better than this year, especially Poquoson who returns 18 of 22 starting positions). But I think Riverheads has a great shot to go back to Salem next year. 

The best High School Football player I saw this year in Virginia was Cayden Cook Cash.

no he not! good outside runner be hes is no where the player grahams RB is sorry!

Cook Cash is the best player Riverheads has had at least going back to the 70s . Riverheads did not play that well and still dominated . He has been playing maybe @ 75 % for most of the season . After the LB game he played sparingly on one side of the ball . He was on D in the playoffs only part time . When he  returns this fall the 2A teams will get a taste of what this young man can do . His talent has yet to shine . He will be something to watch when he plays at the next level . jmo

Both are very good backs but could either play in the others system and be as successful? I believe both certainly could but to the comment about CCC being a “good outside running but”, you can’t be serious. If you believe that and are thinking he isn’t a complete back, I would suggest watching some film and see if you still think he isn’t a physical runner or that he doesn’t have decent hands out of the backfield. Like someone mentioned I don’t see him as a RB on Saturdays but he is a better than average one for high school in VA. Saying that doesn’t take away how special Clements is too. 

8 hours ago, RedPrideNation said:

Both are very good backs but could either play in the others system and be as successful? I believe both certainly could but to the comment about CCC being a “good outside running but”, you can’t be serious. If you believe that and are thinking he isn’t a complete back, I would suggest watching some film and see if you still think he isn’t a physical runner or that he doesn’t have decent hands out of the backfield. Like someone mentioned I don’t see him as a RB on Saturdays but he is a better than average one for high school in VA. Saying that doesn’t take away how special Clements is too. 

hes not hes a finesse runner no power sorry call it like i see it. one guy brings him down most the time between  the tackles and is brother number 20?

35 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

hes not hes a finesse runner no power sorry call it like i see it. one guy brings him down most the time between  the tackles and is brother number 20?

CCC is a beast. Power, speed, heart, and what other positives you want to add in. What I like the most about this young man is that he seems to be all class ....   A class act it seems on and off the field. Clements is a great player also. Any coach would be blessed to have either one.

1 hour ago, Hokie Bound said:

CCC is a beast. Power, speed, heart, and what other positives you want to add in. What I like the most about this young man is that he seems to be all class ....   A class act it seems on and off the field. Clements is a great player also. Any coach would be blessed to have either one.

is 20 his brother?

I talked to his father (CCC) for about 15 minutes before the game in the parking lot. His father is a former Army Ranger and owns a gym in that area up there. His father was pretty solid. Looked like a WWE type figure, but without the steroids. His father was as nice and courteous as one could be, but you could tell this was someone you didn't want to get into a barfight with. 

1 hour ago, Red Rabbit said:

Most are unaware of how banged up  CCC was in this game . When next season starts we should see a healthy young man with the spotlight on him .

how banged up? is 20 his brother?

His dad told me he has surgery scheduled this week on his shoulder. Played through it all season. Kid is a freak talent from physical specimen to mentally-completely off the chain regarding mental toughness. He also has a 4.1 GPA. He has D1 written all over him and remember this post, he will play Sunday football.  I'm saying he plays Sunday football and he doesn't even have an FBS offer yet. 

The above is only my opinion.  He is a man amongst boys and if he played at Hampton High, he would perform at a level better than the other 21 players on the field in most games. Who wins state player of the year as a freshman? I don't care what level it's at, single A or class 2. You have to be gifted to do that, much less repeat as a sophomore and probably this year also.

Again, just my opinion on CCC and I respect those opinions with a different take. 

5 hours ago, Dobb83 said:

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion . He is a very hard nose runner and in all the playoff games I watched it took multiple people to bring him down. He made GW defenders look inept all day.  

Although he is not a D1 RB. He doesn’t fit the mold of the spread offenses these teams run. Even though he has all the talent needed to be a D1 recruit , kids in these types of offenses get overlooked. Happened to Giles alot in the past. He will play D1 not as RB but he will play D1