Unforgettable Games

EH31

I was having this conversation with a guy last week. What are some unforgettable games that you got to witness? 

the first one that comes to mind for me was in early 2006 Pocahontas @ Big Creek. Pocahontas was leading comfortably the whole game until the last few minutes when Big Creek made a run to take the lead. With around 5 seconds left Pocahontas’s Mark Little went the length of the court to score the game tying basketball on a fadeaway. The game went in to overtime & Pocahontas ended up winning 101-100. Mark Little had a quadruple double with points, rebounds, assists & steals. He finished the game with 54 points.

Little averaged 34 points per game that season, made the all state team & won BDT Player of the Year. 

The Graham-Gate City state semifinal game at Tazewell Middle School in 2018 is one that stands out to me. Mac McClung scored 42 points that night while Gate City punched its ticket to Richmond. I was on the call for NFHS that night. TMS was filled to the brim.

How about a memorable 5-game series during the course of a season?!?!?

Grayson County played Floyd County five times during the 1996-1997 season. Grayson lost to Floyd by a point in the old Marion Holiday Tournament in December. They played a home-and-home during the regular season where Floyd won both games by a combined 3 points. Floyd won 60-57 in the Region C Championship game at the Dedmon Center at Radford University. A week later in the state semifinal, Grayson jumped out early and kept the lead until late in the 4th quarter. Floyd was able to squeak out another win though 59-57. Floyd beat Grayson 5 times that season by a combined 9 points. Floyd finished the year unbeaten, winning the state championship over Surry. Alan Cantrell was quoted in the Roanoke Times saying something along the lines of, "if we are the best team in the state, it's a safe bet Grayson is second."

I can vividly remember plays from those games. The Grayson coach at the time told the players they have no idea just how close they were to winning a state championship. That sentiment rings true all these years later. Grayson finished that season with 6 loses, 5 to the unbeaten eventual state champions. 

Most recently the Dobyns-Bennett boys state semifinal and state title game from last years state tournament.

State semifinal:  Bartlett made a 3 at the horn in regulation to send it to overtime, Malachi Hale made a jumper from around the FT line at the horn to win it for D-B in OT.

State championship:  Bearden made a 3 at the horn in regulation to send it to OT, however D-B blew them out in OT once Bearden lost three starters to foul outs.

D-B girls also had an improbable win last year as well that sticks out trailing Jefferson County by 12 with under a minute left in regulation yet somehow winning by one on a 3 at the buzzer.

In the way back machine all of the Haysi-Council games back when both teams were outstanding in the late 90's early 00's were memorable, although the Tigers came out on the short end on pretty much all of them.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:34 AM, rvtne216 said:

The Graham-Gate City state semifinal game at Tazewell Middle School in 2018 is one that stands out to me. Mac McClung scored 42 points that night while Gate City punched its ticket to Richmond. I was on the call for NFHS that night. TMS was filled to the brim.

I still have a picture of the line for that game. 3 hours before tipoff and the line stretched all the way to the main road. It was unbelievable. 1 hour before tipoff there wasn't any seat available in the gym.

I remember the Graham/Beaver game. Maybe around 2009-2010. Craig Ponder for Bluefield dropped about 40 or 50 I believe. I believe it went to double OT. Might be the last time, or close to it, Graham beat Bluefield in basketball.

3 minutes ago, -oo- said:

I still have a picture of the line for that game. 3 hours before tipoff and the line stretched all the way to the main road. It was unbelievable. 1 hour before tipoff there wasn't any seat available in the gym.

I can remember those lines,  I stood in them in the 90's for the region D tourneys a bunch of times,  Council and Twin Springs were top notch regional games back then,   In the late 90's early 00's Council and Haysi had as good a rivalry as any!! Both were top 5 in the State and in the same district!!!   I can still see Council Elem and Clincho Elem pack to the rafters!!   

I remember back in 1996 I believe, when Bluefield  was ranked #1 in AA and Dupont was ranked either #1 or #2 in AAA in which that team consisted of future NBA player Jason "white  chocolate "Williams  and future NFL hall of famer Randy Moss. Bluefield completely destroyed them, beating them by 27 points.

1 hour ago, rabidbeaver said:

I remember back in 1996 I believe, when Bluefield  was ranked #1 in AA and Dupont was ranked either #1 or #2 in AAA in which that team consisted of future NBA player Jason "white  chocolate "Williams  and future NFL hall of famer Randy Moss. Bluefield completely destroyed them, beating them by 27 points.

Wasn't that game at Brushfork Armory?  I remember that.  

Bluefield vs Graham in 2009 I think it was at Graham middle was a classic. Went into a few overtimes if I recall. Bluefield had Craig Ponder at the time. David Marrs knocked down some clutch threes. Graham had a good squad then. Almost beat Cave Spring. That was a great game as well in Tazewell.

On 2/3/2023 at 12:20 PM, -oo- said:

There was also a huge line for the Gate City and Radford game at the Dedmon Center for the state quarterfinal matchup in 2018. I drove over from VT and stood in line with my buddies to see that one. I would say that one or when VT played RU in 2015 would be one of the two attendance marks for the Dedmon Center

59 minutes ago, rvtne216 said:

There was also a huge line for the Gate City and Radford game at the Dedmon Center for the state quarterfinal matchup in 2018. I drove over from VT and stood in line with my buddies to see that one. I would say that one or when VT played RU in 2015 would be one of the two attendance marks for the Dedmon Center

I was there too...good lord that place was packed...I'm pretty sure they had more than they were suppose to have