Parking lot issues

ImFromOutEast

Do any of you know of any schools in SWVA with parking lot issues? Out this way, most parking lots are adjacent to the gymnasiums. I like to get to the stadium early to park close to the football stadium, realizing it might take a while to get out of it once the game is over. There's one school whose football field is well behind the building. It's back parking lot is entirely gravel. Yes, GRAVEL. You park there then have to walk across a foot bridge to gain access to the stadium. There's another school that has about 50-75 spaces next to the football stadium with the primary parking lot up a hill next to the gym. Many folks park across the street at a church. I could go on and on about lots not being large enough to accommodate football crowds out here in Eastern Class 1 football.

8 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Union's stadium is inside a public park in the middle of a residential neighborhood, several miles from the school. You have to make your own parking spot. Haha 

Have to say hands down is the worst parking situation I've ever seen.

If enough people are there Grundy can be kind of rough to find a spot and not get trapped in after the game...

10 hours ago, ImFromOutEast said:

Do any of you know of any schools in SWVA with parking lot issues? Out this way, most parking lots are adjacent to the gymnasiums. I like to get to the stadium early to park close to the football stadium, realizing it might take a while to get out of it once the game is over. There's one school whose football field is well behind the building. It's back parking lot is entirely gravel. Yes, GRAVEL. You park there then have to walk across a foot bridge to gain access to the stadium. There's another school that has about 50-75 spaces next to the football stadium with the primary parking lot up a hill next to the gym. Many folks park across the street at a church. I could go on and on about lots not being large enough to accommodate football crowds out here in Eastern Class 1 football.

you have a parking lot???  

4 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Have to say hands down is the worst parking situation I've ever seen.

If enough people are there Grundy can be kind of rough to find a spot and not get trapped in after the game...

A lot of visitors probably don’t know but you can park on the end where the softball fields are and plenty of places and you can go out that way.  Instead of fighting everyone out the other gate 

Giles can be tricky getting out for us home fans, but I can't think of any stadiums that are not tricky to get out of if the crowd size is decent.  One thing about Giles, the parking lot is on the main road, so when you turn left or right, the traffic flows pretty well for the most part, so that speeds up the process.  Princeton High in my opinion has good parking, but that's an example of tricky getting out.  When you turn left or right from the parking lot, you have stoplights everywhere, so this backs up exiting the parking lot.  Just my opinions

Giles is the best of course 😜

On 8/3/2023 at 10:23 PM, Union_Fan said:

Union's stadium is inside a public park in the middle of a residential neighborhood, several miles from the school. You have to make your own parking spot. Haha 

Literally the only part of trips to Bullitt that I hate. Everything else is amazing. Parking is decidedly not. 

On 8/4/2023 at 5:16 AM, Bluefield researcher said:

Bluefield. Plenty of parking.

Except for the Graham - Bluefield game.  If you park back near Bowen Field, good luck getting out before everybody else leaves. (Of course that's the only game with 10,000 plus in attendance there).  

When I was in school we lived on Augusta Street. We just walked. When I was older and lived a little further I rode my bike and chained it to the fence. But the police also had their act together. Before the game Stadium Drive was made one way. Everyone had to enter at Bluefield College. They had to park their cars pointing towards the youth center. Everyone had to exit by going up Stadium Drive. Virginia tags went down Ferndale and WV tags went on to Cherry Street. Wasn't a quick entrance or exit but it was faster than it is now.

The ironic parking issue in Class 1 out this way is that the school with the most down-trodden football program is Lancaster. Large parking lot with two access points. Only issue is if you leave and go north on Rt 3 your are on a two-lane highway for 17 miles. Rappahannock has 2 lots with the back lot being larger. But if you happen to park in the front lot (which is in front of the school with single spaces down the length of the building) you can depart right on a four-lane highway. That's the only school out this way that has parking along a 4-lane highway, although King William isn't far from Rt. 360 (about 3/10 or 4/10 of a mile)  and neither is Essex which is about a mile from 4-lane Rt 17.  Middlesex also is about half-a-mile from Rt. 17. But, those distances seem longer when you're backed up in the parking lot or on the two-lane stretch of road leading to the four-lane highways.

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

When I was in school we lived on Augusta Street. We just walked. When I was older and lived a little further I rode my bike and chained it to the fence. But the police also had their act together. Before the game Stadium Drive was made one way. Everyone had to enter at Bluefield College. They had to park their cars pointing towards the youth center. Everyone had to exit by going up Stadium Drive. Virginia tags went down Ferndale and WV tags went on to Cherry Street. Wasn't a quick entrance or exit but it was faster than it is now.

I remember those days 

Narrows parking is god awful....but then again giles is the only home game they have once every 2 years that brings more than 100 fans and more that 25 cars lol....that should change with James Monroe on their schedule now

Haysi back in the day was way worse though....go up the mountain, find a spot and pray your parking brake works lol

On 8/4/2023 at 11:16 AM, Duke2015 said:

A lot of visitors probably don’t know but you can park on the end where the softball fields are and plenty of places and you can go out that way.  Instead of fighting everyone out the other gate 

I try to look on google maps before I go to a new place.  Seems like that is where I parked that time.  There was a spot by some dumpsters that was just big enough for me 🙂 

On 8/5/2023 at 4:14 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Yep. I love noisemakers and anything that helps build atmosphere. Bluefield used to have a cannon. Loved it. Giles horn is amazing. Gimme all of that lol. 

Doesn't Lee still fire their cannon?  I always though that was a good touch.  Ridgeview would do the wolf-howl after scores or big plays but don't seem to do that much anymore.  That was a perfect addition to a game up on the Ridge.

As for the train horn.  Who had it first?  Wasn't it Giles?  I know that everyone was copying it....Central had one during the Central/RV playoff game in 2021.  Of course Union had it and I've got my thoughts of their use of it.  Almost every game I've been to people are bringing those smaller air-horns.  Nothing like someone right behind you letting one off when you aren't expecting it.  Of course, if you really want noise....there is nothing better than the fans getting off their butts and actually yelling.  Nothing is a substitute for a loud and raucous crowd. 

4 hours ago, stu_bean said:

I try to look on google maps before I go to a new place.  Seems like that is where I parked that time.  There was a spot by some dumpsters that was just big enough for me 🙂 

Yeah and u can go out the gate on that end also.  I’m usually home while everyone else is fighting to get out the other end