Middlesboro @ Gate City

Queue

Do we need the CIA (well...I have thoughts on that by itself -- but that's another topic... 😏 ) -- but do we need them to get info on what the Jackets are like this year??  Haven't heard much other than they're not usually that much trouble in the modern day.  Still, don't mean this year's squad can't be cagier than what we saw out of Richlands.

So:  If we play as well as last night (minus a key miscue or two) -- do we handle Middlesboro equally as well??

I don’t really know how good Middlesboro is this year. 

I know they have fielded some great teams. 

Gate City I would say can beat Middlesboro at home. Away? Gate City will be down 14-0 as soon as they get off the bus. The refs in Kentucky, especially Middlesboro, are extremely biased. 

GC is lucky to be playing Middlesboro at home. 

11 hours ago, redtiger said:

Thank goodness things weren't filmed when we rode the bus home after games

People act shocked when these type of things happen. I don’t know why. These things have always happened, There just weren’t cell phones and social media. Teenagers brains haven’t fully developed and they’re dumb. It seems every season some team has players that post something dumb on social media. I dare say the stunt that got some Graham player’s suspensions last year is the reason Tazewell County has a stricter cell phone policy this year. 

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

People act shocked when these type of things happen. I don’t know why. These things have always happened, There just weren’t cell phones and social media. Teenagers brains haven’t fully developed and they’re dumb. It seems every season some team has players that post something dumb on social media. I dare say the stunt that got some Graham player’s suspensions last year is the reason Tazewell County has a stricter cell phone policy this year. 

Actions do have consequences (I know you didn’t say otherwise).

I remember in 1997, Powell Valley vs Appalachia. Both were 9-0. That game was circled on everyone’s calendars since the season prior. Powell Valley won 20-14. So PV got the 10-0 and Appy 9-1. 

Well after the game that night there was a few PV players who made a tape in the locker room, smoking victory cigars and they were talking some smack about some Appalachia players. 

All the Appalachia people acted shocked and such. It blew up. A lot of people didn’t realize that some Appalachia players sent Julius Jones a similar video the year before that and nothing was said. 🤷‍♂️

Both teams’ players had been doing stuff similar to that for ages. I think PV had some players suspended for the first playoff game. That didn’t make a difference anyway as PV made short work of Coeburn. 

Stuff like that has gone on for ages and it will continue. 

In my opinion, there’s no room for behavior like that and there should be some sort of consequence. No less than an apology made by the offenders and no more than half to a full game suspension. 

12 hours ago, BearsFan88 said:

Actions do have consequences (I know you didn’t say otherwise).

I remember in 1997, Powell Valley vs Appalachia. Both were 9-0. That game was circled on everyone’s calendars since the season prior. Powell Valley won 20-14. So PV got the 10-0 and Appy 9-1. 

Well after the game that night there was a few PV players who made a tape in the locker room, smoking victory cigars and they were talking some smack about some Appalachia players. 

All the Appalachia people acted shocked and such. It blew up. A lot of people didn’t realize that some Appalachia players sent Julius Jones a similar video the year before that and nothing was said. 🤷‍♂️

Both teams’ players had been doing stuff similar to that for ages. I think PV had some players suspended for the first playoff game. That didn’t make a difference anyway as PV made short work of Coeburn. 

Stuff like that has gone on for ages and it will continue. 

In my opinion, there’s no room for behavior like that and there should be some sort of consequence. No less than an apology made by the offenders and no more than half to a full game suspension. 

I could be wrong but wasn’t it a little worse than smack talk that was the issue.  Can’t remember the exact details 

3 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I could be wrong but wasn’t it a little worse than smack talk that was the issue.  Can’t remember the exact details 

Unless im mistaken at least one player said they were going to "kill" an opposing player and a parent took that as a literal threat  

Middlesboro was pretty solid in 2013, but their refs were much tougher. Just be glad this one's at home Devils' fans. 

Go ahead and start looking for a replacement before you regret going there next year.

Don't know what the 'Jackets bring to the table these days, but look for a testy bunch if GC is winning.

Go Devils!

5 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Middlesboro was pretty solid in 2013, but their refs were much tougher. Just be glad this one's at home Devils' fans. 

Go ahead and start looking for a replacement before you regret going there next year.

Don't know what the 'Jackets bring to the table these days, but look for a testy bunch if GC is winning.

Go Devils!

You mean calling 3 personal fouls and penalizing a team 45 yards on one play isn’t normal lol!!!

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

In Kentucky it is! 🙂

3 worst places I’ve seen officiating is Letcher Breathitt and Middlesboro.  Seems to be a problem in Ky.  The games I’ve been to in Tn. haven’t ever seen an issue with them.  Still think Letcher is the worst I’ve seen though with Union having to score about 5 TDs on one drive before the refs finally gave up 

On 8/28/2023 at 1:54 AM, Duke2015 said:

I forgot about that part. The threat. 

It was a stupid move on the players’ parts that were involved.  I think a lot will agree. Illustrates my point that there should be consequences for actions and most incidents like this should require no less than an apology by the offenders and no more than a game’s suspension. The latter was the consequence for 10 players. 

But this is Gate City’s thread. 

Just completely outplay any Kentucky team. Leave no doubt that you are the better team. In that case the bad calls shouldn’t necessarily do you in. 

In Kentucky if the game and score are close enough then you can bet that the refs will try to swing it in favor of the home team and you lose on a bogus call.