Graham vs Galax

Gridiron60

I basically agree with others on the game assessment for Graham with Bluefield. I’d almost bet a lot of that sloppiness will be cleaned up next or at least I hope. We definitely need better snaps. OL improved giving the QB time to throw. Roberts has an arm and really good mechanics. He’ll continue to improve with more reps under his belt. He’s got some talented receivers who can get open.  I could be wrong but I see a similar score as last year’s game between the two. If sloppy Graham shows up and has multiple fumbles and multiple penalties and Galax doesn’t then the outcome may be different. 

I could see Galax upsetting the G-Men in this one. I know the first game is usually sloppy but that was the worst prepared Graham team I’ve seen under Palmer. If they come out and play like they did Friday Galax will light em up. 

Defensively Graham’s front is going to have to find an identity and start getting some penetration. Bluefield bullied them around. Secondary looked really good but Bluefield barely passed we will see how good they can be as the season progresses. 

Offensively I think Palmer is going to have to learn to trust the Pass. They have some really good WRs that can go up and make a play. Get guys out in space especially if Clements is going to be out. Jennings is a stud and he could get a lot better with more touches. 

Galax has little to no depth. Playing larger schools with deeper benches will be a difficult task. Turnovers and special teams have been a serious issue each of the past two weeks. 

Penalties, which have been a serious problem the past few seasons, have been a non-issue. But sloppy ball handling has taken its place so far. 

Graham 35
Galax 14

23 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Turnovers

Penalties, which have been a serious problem the past few seasons, have been a non-issue. But sloppy ball handling has taken its place so far. 

Graham 35
Galax 14

Maroon Tide got nothin’ on Graham.  GMen had turnovers, penalties, and sloppiness all over the field last night from 1st Q to 4th. I would hope that gets somewhat cleaned up before they head your way.

2 hours ago, Graham32 said:

I could see Galax upsetting the G-Men in this one. I know the first game is usually sloppy but that was the worst prepared Graham team I’ve seen under Palmer. If they come out and play like they did Friday Galax will light em up. 

Defensively Graham’s front is going to have to find an identity and start getting some penetration. Bluefield bullied them around. Secondary looked really good but Bluefield barely passed we will see how good they can be as the season progresses. 

Offensively I think Palmer is going to have to learn to trust the Pass. They have some really good WRs that can go up and make a play. Get guys out in space especially if Clements is going to be out. Jennings is a stud and he could get a lot better with more touches. 

Bluefield stacked the box and dared Graham to throw it.  Much like Central did in the state title game.  I think this might be what other defenses will try to do, Bluefield was effective at it.

42 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Bluefield stacked the box and dared Graham to throw it.  Much like Central did in the state title game.  I think this might be what other defenses will try to do, Bluefield was effective at it.

A lot of teams going forward are going to stack the box on Graham especially if Clements is out for awhile or the season depending on his injury. 

35 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

A lot of teams going forward are going to stack the box on Graham especially if Clements is out for awhile or the season depending on his injury. 

Got to play the odds in Class 1 and Class 2 as most teams either can't throw it well enough for 4 quarters, or they aren't prepared to throw it well enough for 4 quarters.  Palmer is sharp.  Graham knows the box will be snapped, and you;ll see the QB (who can throw it) come along and Graham will hurt people in the passing game.  They have the QB that can throw it.  They have the WR's that can get open and catch it.  And they have the Coach that is sharp enough and prepared to do.  Most teams don't have 1 of those 3 above.  Some have 2.  Graham has all 3.

39 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Got to play the odds in Class 1 and Class 2 as most teams either can't throw it well enough for 4 quarters, or they aren't prepared to throw it well enough for 4 quarters.  Palmer is sharp.  Graham knows the box will be snapped, and you;ll see the QB (who can throw it) come along and Graham will hurt people in the passing game.  They have the QB that can throw it.  They have the WR's that can get open and catch it.  And they have the Coach that is sharp enough and prepared to do.  Most teams don't have 1 of those 3 above.  Some have 2.  Graham has all 3.

As a Graham alum and fan I’m not sold on Graham having all 3 phases right now. If Clements is out let’s see who can carry the load at RB. Daniel Jennings is a stud it would be his time to shine. Tony has to work on Roberts getting the snap the most and focus on ball control. He’s young and will make mistakes just have to limit them. 

Galax has alot of talent that is young and is going to be a good team but  is just not there yet Graham should pull away in this one  unless there is just a huge lapse after Bluefield Game.  If there is a lapse it will be close but Graham should still come away with the W .

On 8/27/2023 at 8:28 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'll go Graham by 28 pts. 

You need to watch some film on Galax. They don't look bad honestly. A few breaks here and there they could have beat Glenvar. This game will be closer than you think. 

29 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

You need to watch some film on Galax. They don't look bad honestly. A few breaks here and there they could have beat Glenvar. This game will be closer than you think. 

Watched em against Glenvar. Galax is never going to be bad imo, or at least I will believe it when I see it.  I've seen Giles of course several times, and I watched Galax against Glenvar.  Unfortunately, I think Galax looks 7 points better right now than us.  I got Graham 28-0/31-7ish. I don't think Galax will move the ball at all on Graham.  My pick is not based on Galax being down, it's based on Graham being very good.  I watched Graham against Bluefield last year and watched them this year.  Same thing....sloppy, false starts, flags, etc.  That's a given for nearly ANY team to start the season, especially when Bluefield and Graham always open with each other which doubles the nerves and anxiety for both teams.  My point is, Graham is very good on line of scrimmage and Galax's front 5 is still, even in 2023, among the best in Class 1 Virginia, but.......very little depth and that depth imo will show against a team with way greater depth in Graham.  For all I know, Galax may go down the field and gash Graham and put up 225 to 250 rushing yards on the ground, but I just don't see it happening.   

I remember a few on this board last year after the Bluefield-Graham game saying, "man, this team isn't 2021's team."  I said, you are right.....this 2022 team is actually Better.  I will say it again this year.  Graham is the real deal, and that's as clear as day from watching them in game one.  The false starts, penalties, bad snaps.  That stuff is all cured with time and repetition.  When you have that kind of speed in the back 7 and that kind of depth along both sides of the line of scrimmage, well, repetition for Graham's opponents has no cure for that.  I am Not handing Graham a state title yet.  Lots of football left.  Graham is beatable, but they are most fans favs to repeat for good reasons.  Athletes all over the field, and nasty up front.

Only my opinions above.

27 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Watched em against Glenvar. Galax is never going to be bad imo, or at least I will believe it when I see it.  I've seen Giles of course several times, and I watched Galax against Glenvar.  Unfortunately, I think Galax looks 7 points better right now than us.  I got Graham 28-0/31-7ish. I don't think Galax will move the ball at all on Graham.  My pick is not based on Galax being down, it's based on Graham being very good.  I watched Graham against Bluefield last year and watched them this year.  Same thing....sloppy, false starts, flags, etc.  That's a given for nearly ANY team to start the season, especially when Bluefield and Graham always open with each other which doubles the nerves and anxiety for both teams.  My point is, Graham is very good on line of scrimmage and Galax's front 5 is still, even in 2023, among the best in Class 1 Virginia, but.......very little depth and that depth imo will show against a team with way greater depth in Graham.  For all I know, Galax may go down the field and gash Graham and put up 225 to 250 rushing yards on the ground, but I just don't see it happening.   

I remember a few on this board last year after the Bluefield-Graham game saying, "man, this team isn't 2021's team."  I said, you are right.....this 2022 team is actually Better.  I will say it again this year.  Graham is the real deal, and that's as clear as day from watching them in game one.  The false starts, penalties, bad snaps.  That stuff is all cured with time and repetition.  When you have that kind of speed in the back 7 and that kind of depth along both sides of the line of scrimmage, well, repetition for Graham's opponents has no cure for that.  I am Not handing Graham a state title yet.  Lots of football left.  Graham is beatable, but they are most fans favs to repeat for good reasons.  Athletes all over the field, and nasty up front.

Only my opinions above.

I just think for me it's not trying to stroke my alma mater ego. Yes they are good don't get me wrong, It was the first game of the year and sloppiness will occur. I think losing Connor Roberts and Cody Dolan to graduation has put graham a step back on the d-line and offensive line. Hard to replace that type of talent year in and year out.

I think Galax will have more success than what we think passing on Graham. They seemed to throw it around pretty good against Glenvar. Those quick outs will gash a team if you don't play tight coverage. Guess we will find out soon enough. 

14 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

I think Galax will have more success than what we think passing on Graham. They seemed to throw it around pretty good against Glenvar. Those quick outs will gash a team if you don't play tight coverage. Guess we will find out soon enough. 

I think Galax will move the ball just as you suggest. But the QB is very young and very inexperienced. He has some talent and several quick, sure handed receivers around him. Something Galax hasn't had in a couple of years. But the QB is prone to making several youthful, inexperienced mistakes every time he takes the field. No fewer than three of his passes against Glenvar hit a DB right in the chest and were dropped. Two of those would have been walked into the endzone. He still finished with three turnovers. Could Galax have eliminated some mistakes and kept the game closer? Sure, but it could have been far worse had some of those dropped interceptions not been dropped by Glenvar DB's. Keep in mind, he had 5 turnovers in the Benefit game against Floyd.

For Galax, this season is going to be filled with growing pains with a very young QB and several talented but young WR's.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I think Galax keeps it close early but Graham pulls away late to win by 21+. 

On 8/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, Graham32 said:

Graham may have to trust the pass.  Clements, Floyd and Hughes all were injured in the Bluefield game.  Not exactly sure of their status or if-when they'll be back.

19 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham may have to trust the pass.  Clements, Floyd and Hughes all were injured in the Bluefield game.  Not exactly sure of their status or if-when they'll be back.

Best timetable for their return would  be the day after Union game.  Not a Dr. but that feels right 

31 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Pretty sure Floyd came back into the game to play defense later in the game. Of course things could have worsened over night, but we'll see I guess. I thought Clements would be out for the year (and he could still have a significant injury) the way he was carried off, but he just had a slight limp at the end of the game. Guess we'll find out this Friday night.

52 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

That would change my pick from 28 or so points.  Doesn't matter how talented, you can't lose but so many.  If they are without those 3, I would take the Graham margin of victory down to 17 points.  If I'm not mistaken, that's 3 two way starters/or at least 3 on defense that start, which is over 25% of your starting lineup out due to injury.  That matters.  It won't effect the overall outcome, but it certainly effects the score.  That's 2 in the secondary right there out for Graham and not just average in the secondary, very, very, very good for High School Defensive Backfield/Back 7 guys in Clements and Floyd.

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

I think Galax will move the ball just as you suggest. But the QB is very young and very inexperienced. He has some talent and several quick, sure handed receivers around him. Something Galax hasn't had in a couple of years. But the QB is prone to making several youthful, inexperienced mistakes every time he takes the field. No fewer than three of his passes against Glenvar hit a DB right in the chest and were dropped. Two of those would have been walked into the endzone. He still finished with three turnovers. Could Galax have eliminated some mistakes and kept the game closer? Sure, but it could have been far worse had some of those dropped interceptions not been dropped by Glenvar DB's. Keep in mind, he had 5 turnovers in the Benefit game against Floyd.

For Galax, this season is going to be filled with growing pains with a very young QB and several talented but young WR's.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I think Galax keeps it close early but Graham pulls away late to win by 21+. 

This the same QB that played some last year? Think he was a freshman last year

53 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

This the same QB that played some last year? Think he was a freshman last year

It is. He started the final 3 games of the season. He’s talented but still very raw.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

That would change my pick from 28 or so points.  Doesn't matter how talented, you can't lose but so many.  If they are without those 3, I would take the Graham margin of victory down to 17 points.  If I'm not mistaken, that's 3 two way starters/or at least 3 on defense that start, which is over 25% of your starting lineup out due to injury.  That matters.  It won't effect the overall outcome, but it certainly effects the score.  That's 2 in the secondary right there out for Graham and not just average in the secondary, very, very, very good for High School Defensive Backfield/Back 7 guys in Clements and Floyd.

Yeah, line is still healthy and in- tact.  I wanna see how Gibbs plays against Galax at OT.  I believe he will be good to go on Friday.  The receivers are healthy, it's the Running Back position that will stretched thin for Graham.  Jennings is a very capable backup for them and I believe that Isabelle and Raley both have a little experience carrying the ball, if needed in a pinch.  Going to be interesting to see how this game goes.