Is Union going to win state?

Wade_1

13 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Agree....what a dumb topic...it's week FIVE 

Good grief

We had 1 injury last night and couldn’t move the ball the rest of the night.  I’m not getting my hotel reservations yet!!!

Possibility versus probability. 

It’ is possible for just about every team that gets mentioned regularly to win it. 

It’s more probable for a handful that have shown through the early part of the season that they are slightly ahead of their peers. 

Anyone that says absolutely is being somewhat foolish, but in my opinion they pass the eye test more so than any other to me(and that includes Radford who I think is a very close second). 

As has been mentioned it is early so an injury or damn girlfriend breaking up with the star can derail a team. It’s high school football so just about anything can and likey will happen. 

1 hour ago, Duke2015 said:

Exactly 

Well said. It seems like every season the union train gets going and it’s all you hear about. They haven’t even one the mtn. Seven in two years and now they beat Graham who is missing some key players and the chatter has exploded. Obviously Graham is way down without those players. Union is great, for sure, but man, those kids playing there get a lot of pressure put on them. RV is actually a very very good team with some line problems, but they work around it. There are some studs on that team and they are almost only playing juniors and sophomores. Like Union. Abingdon is turning the corner for sure. Honaker is a leader and will lead Abingdon. I think Union has great odds, but so do several others competing for the championship. 

Union will only win state if they play the backup QB. He's been begging to play. He's a natural leader. He gets the other kids to buy in. He's a salesman of sorts, and he can literally throw a football from one side of the Valley of Powell to the other. His name is Rico if I'm not mistaken. 

Long way from the finish line for anyone right now.  Strange things happen game to game.  That being said,  Graham and RV are down not out.  Whoever makes it is going to have to beat someone twice or catch someone else who's gotten hot late. Several are always gonna benefit pp because of weak schedules just to host a playoff game, but it's gonna come out in the wash. Good luck, but keep things in perspective.  A lot of teams have not been district Champs but managed to win a state title.  Until they start mailing the trophy ahead of time,  play it one game at a time.  

33 minutes ago, rdh2443 said:

Well said. It seems like every season the union train gets going and it’s all you hear about. They haven’t even one the mtn. Seven in two years and now they beat Graham who is missing some key players and the chatter has exploded. Obviously Graham is way down without those players. Union is great, for sure, but man, those kids playing there get a lot of pressure put on them. RV is actually a very very good team with some line problems, but they work around it. There are some studs on that team and they are almost only playing juniors and sophomores. Like Union. Abingdon is turning the corner for sure. Honaker is a leader and will lead Abingdon. I think Union has great odds, but so do several others competing for the championship. 

Yeah but it’s not the Union folks doing the bragging so can’t blame us.  

16 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Will Union win? Not a clue

Can Union win? Absolutely, as can Graham, Radford, Ridgeview, Woodstock Central, Clarke Co, Glenvar, Riverheads, Gretna, Poquoson, Appo...

A man with a lot of common sense. Don’t know why he’s tucked away on Hospital Hill, when there are several on this site that should be locked up on Hospital Hill.

19 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

They ain’t no one in Appalachia or Big Stone thinking about state yet long way to go 

I heard State title talk from fans from Big Stone back in the Spring. Its out there. 

Imo they arent on that level unless the rest of the state is down. Imo the looked bad and lost on offense without Chandler, if a team can slow him down then idk if Union has the answers consistently.

15 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I heard State title talk from fans from Big Stone back in the Spring. Its out there. 

Imo they arent on that level unless the rest of the state is down. Imo the looked bad and lost on offense without Chandler, if a team can slow him down then idk if Union has the answers consistently.

I live in bsg and haven’t heard 1 person talking titles especially in the spring

Union fans are all over the place. Year in and year out, there's a handful that think we're going to win a title and then another handful that think 6-4 or 7-3 is as good as it's going to get.

Prior to the season starting, I didn't hear one person mention a district title let alone a state appearance.

The accomplishments of this team through 5 games has been a surprise to most.

I would offer the old football aphorism that offense wins games and defense wins championships. Union posting a shut out against a good Blue Devil team is a very favorable result. 

I believe the Bears started six sophomores on defense this past Friday; and if those young players continue to improve they could be a really exception unit come November! 

10 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Union fans are all over the place. Year in and year out, there's a handful that think we're going to win a title and then another handful that think 6-4 or 7-3 is as good as it's going to get.

Prior to the season starting, I didn't hear one person mention a district title let alone a state appearance.

The accomplishments of this team through 5 games has been a surprise to most.

Agree you always have the people that don’t know football thinking title every year but not this season.  I thought maybe the next 2 years possibly but definitely not this year

I meant to type "exceptional" not exception in my last posting. Let me add that I'm certain the only title Coach Turner and his team are currently discussing is the M7 championship. The Wolfpack, Warriors, Falcons, and Trojans will all have a big say in that conversation! 

Topics discussing whether or not Union, or Graham or Radford, or any other team for that matter possibly winning a state title or district title or not winning a title are GOOD things in my opinion.  It's a message board for fans, and what do fans do?  They speculate, given opinions, give thoughts, etc.  We (Fans) don't play for Union, Radford, Graham, or Giles.  I use to, but not anymore.  As a player and coach, of course the focus should be the next opponent and absolutely only the next opponent in front of you.  I'm sure coaches are dialed in to exactly that.  What's the harm in Fans on message boards speculating on things?  It's been done for over 2 decades across the world in every sport. WE (fans) don't control the outcome of the games, no matter how much we might think we do or want to.  Coaches and Players do.  A Radford fan could say that Radford is going to win the state title this year in his or her opinion, or Honaker is going to win it in Class 1.  That statement is NOT effecting what WILL BE.  What WILL BE is up to the coaches and players.  

Disclaimer:  I'm a free speech kind of guy heavy Libertarian type, so I conceed that my view may be different on this.  I'm just giving you my take on it.   But if you think of it this way.....all we as fans do for the majority of threads (not just here, but across the world) is speculate about the future.  We give a top 10 poll on who we think would beat who.  We talk about who would or could win a district or not..  We talk about who will win their game this week.  We are speculating on the future, whether speculating 5 or 6 days next game from now, or 10 weeks or so to a state title.  It's just not any different in my opinion, and........it's fun.

44 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Topics discussing whether or not Union, or Graham or Radford, or any other team for that matter possibly winning a state title or district title or not winning a title are GOOD things in my opinion.  It's a message board for fans, and what do fans do?  They speculate, given opinions, give thoughts, etc.  We (Fans) don't play for Union, Radford, Graham, or Giles.  I use to, but not anymore.  As a player and coach, of course the focus should be the next opponent and absolutely only the next opponent in front of you.  I'm sure coaches are dialed in to exactly that.  What's the harm in Fans on message boards speculating on things?  It's been done for over 2 decades across the world in every sport. WE (fans) don't control the outcome of the games, no matter how much we might think we do or want to.  Coaches and Players do.  A Radford fan could say that Radford is going to win the state title this year in his or her opinion, or Honaker is going to win it in Class 1.  That statement is NOT effecting what WILL BE.  What WILL BE is up to the coaches and players.  

Disclaimer:  I'm a free speech kind of guy heavy Libertarian type, so I conceed that my view may be different on this.  I'm just giving you my take on it.   But if you think of it this way.....all we as fans do for the majority of threads (not just here, but across the world) is speculate about the future.  We give a top 10 poll on who we think would beat who.  We talk about who would or could win a district or not..  We talk about who will win their game this week.  We are speculating on the future, whether speculating 5 or 6 days next game from now, or 10 weeks or so to a state title.  It's just not any different in my opinion, and........it's fun.

You can predict all you want it’s your opinion no problem with that all we’re saying is there’s not much chatter around here about a state title.  We’ve been here before and have 0 championships in the trophy case so let’s not celebrate yet 

2 hours ago, FBDevotee said:

I meant to type "exceptional" not exception in my last posting. Let me add that I'm certain the only title Coach Turner and his team are currently discussing is the M7 championship. The Wolfpack, Warriors, Falcons, and Trojans will all have a big say in that conversation! 

Well, to be fair, the Trojans and Warriors probably won't have too much to say.   

I'm still curious what Ridgeview has.  Up till now they still haven't played a quality opponent.  Looks like Union is their first real test of the year.  This could hurt them to have not played in a competitive game, unless they are just "that" good.