Ridgeview @ Union

CriticalNoise

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Guys let’s not get too excited. RV is gonna come to play and they can test Union in unique ways. I think it’s a one possession, last team with ball wins game. 

Agreed. Those who do not watch RV regularly do not really know what’s they have. There are elements that if they get going, they are going hard and strong. I understand the chatter that RV has not played anyone, but let’s face it, Graham is down big this year, VHS gave them a game as well, GC is not who people thought they would be, Lee is down, SH came over to Union with a lackadaisical attitude, it’s just not a strong competition field this year period. I believe the camel that breaks RV if Union wins, is Bullet Park and that phobia RV has about playing there just like playing In Bluefield. RV just does not play the road well anytime, especially those two places. 

1 hour ago, rdh2443 said:

Agreed. Those who do not watch RV regularly do not really know what’s they have. There are elements that if they get going, they are going hard and strong. I understand the chatter that RV has not played anyone, but let’s face it, Graham is down big this year, VHS gave them a game as well, GC is not who people thought they would be, Lee is down, SH came over to Union with a lackadaisical attitude, it’s just not a strong competition field this year period. I believe the camel that breaks RV if Union wins, is Bullet Park and that phobia RV has about playing there just like playing In Bluefield. RV just does not play the road well anytime, especially those two places. 

Ridgeview might beat Union but let's not compare their schedule.  Ridgeviews opponents have won what 4 games and didn't you guys struggle vs Richlands?

25 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Ridgeview might beat Union but let's not compare their schedule.  Ridgeviews opponents have won what 4 games and didn't you guys struggle vs Richlands?

RV schedule is weak.  VHS was a nice addition, but keeping Norton on the schedule is a head scratcher.  They could have kept Bluefield which would have been a great late season test going into the playoffs. 

As for the game,  Union seems to have the advantage, but having the best player at the most important position on the field give RV a good 33% chance to win. If this game were on the ridge I’d be closer to 50%.  
I believe this game becomes the best rivalry in SWVA over the next decade (if it isn’t already). 

9 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

RV schedule is weak.  VHS was a nice addition, but keeping Norton on the schedule is a head scratcher.  They could have kept Bluefield which would have been a great late season test going into the playoffs. 

As for the game,  Union seems to have the advantage, but having the best player at the most important position on the field give RV a good 33% chance to win. If this game were on the ridge I’d be closer to 50%.  
I believe this game becomes the best rivalry in SWVA over the next decade (if it isn’t already). 

Sometimes it's just hard to schedule not knowing what a team will have in the future and not blaming Ridgeview.  I'd think Burton and VA. High would've been better for points but have struggled a bit.  But couldn't help reply to the quote about Graham and Science Hill.  Who we supposed two play IMG Academy???

15 hours ago, rdh2443 said:

Not true on the SH part. They came out of the gate HOT and didn’t consistently move the ball until they had wore down the Bears. 
Graham might be slightly down but they’re still a top 10 2A team. GC is still a good team. 

RV has not played one good team and their game v Richlands was way closer than it should have been. 

Although the outstanding assemblage of skill players the Bears have this season - Anderson, Huff, Lowery, Chandler, Bunch, Bostic - make the sport's headlines & highlights, I think the four senior interior defensive players are the core of Union's team success. They impressed me in the very first game and have played exceptionally well every week. I predict LOS will be the deciding factor in this week's match up with the Wolfpack; but I'm certain there will be another packed house at Bullitt Park to witness another fine SWVA football clash!

17 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I’ve got a spreadsheet just for sh*ts and giggles I know the rider points are right I’m not sure how they classify these out of state teams 

Just look at the master schedule... it shows ya.

1 hour ago, FBDevotee said:

Although the outstanding assemblage of skill players the Bears have this season - Anderson, Huff, Lowery, Chandler, Bunch, Bostic - make the sport's headlines & highlights, I think the four senior interior defensive players are the core of Union's team success. They impressed me in the very first game and have played exceptionally well every week. I predict LOS will be the deciding factor in this week's match up with the Wolfpack; but I'm certain there will be another packed house at Bullitt Park to witness another fine SWVA football clash!

Pretty tough to run up middle on this bunch for sure.  Even SH didn’t really have any success trying it but they were just being lackadaisical anyways 😂 

Union sold out to keep the passing game in check last year, but Ridgeview's QB burnt the Bears repeatedly scrambling out of the pocket and picking up 1st down after 1st down.

That secondary is older and much better, so they won't need as much help this year. Hopefully, that means that more resources will be available to stop the QB from running free.

Union's line and running game is significantly improved. 

The Wolfpack had a good D last year, but a lot of those kids are gone.

The keys this year will be the Bears' ability to contain O'Quinn and The Pack's ability to slow down Chandler and Anderson's running.

I like our chances, but either way it will be another great atmosphere in The Park.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:45 AM, SwvaOG said:

RV has added a wrinkle with moving Scanlon to TE.  They unwisely showed this against Richlands for some inexplicable reason (they should have kept that under wraps)> He is a big target that can catch the ball and is physical.  I feel that he needs 6-8 targets on play action fakes (RV doesn't do those though) and TE screens. This is a mismatch for any Union defender if handled right.  The only other mismatch, if used properly, can be the slot (Baker #10) against zone coverage.  I don't think the DB have or have shown good lock-in coverage other than sitting back in a zone and picking deep passes. Make these kids display coverage skills.  If RV can isolate the slot on a DB particularly the S, that's an advantage.  I'd be dragging #10 all the way across the formation and doing misdirection routs (pig-outs, etc.) The other wildcard for RV is O'Quinn as a runner but I think he won't be able to edge Union like he wants to do.  They need to call at least 4-5 QB draws to keep the D honest. 

So....in summary for RV:

• Get Scanlon (#8, TE) 6-8 touches on TE screens and "post-up" routes.  Try him at least 1-2 down the seam.
  • Don't over target the slot (Union will be ready) but attack defensive spaces and make those DBs have to actually cover in space.  Use mis-direction routes and drag him across the middle on some mesh routes.  I'm also convinced, if RV's line can give them time, that the Union DBs can be had by a good two vert route or 2-move route (post corner particularly). Mix up the routes for the kid.  I like him a lot on a slot fade or a corner route.
  • O'Quin has to run 4-5 QB draws to keep things honest.  I would absolutely draw up a bootleg and give him the run-pass option with the TE dragging across the formation into the bootleg side.  Listen.....this still destroys NFL defenses....it will work against high school.
  • Running game needs to be varied.....use delayed draws and some two back sets.  Give Union something to think about because they haven't seen it on tape. But, other than the QB breaking contain....it will be tough sledding for the RBs. This is the game where they will miss Hackney.

Unless turnovers, busted/big plays or penalties really come into play.  I think Union wins this one. 

I didn't do a defensive analysis for RV.  This is pretty easy.

I don't think RV can stop the rushing attack.  I think they will sell out to, and may have some flashes of success, but in frustration will lose coverage and give up some big plays on the backend. This is the game where they will miss Counts' sideline to sideline tackles from the SS position, Hill and Hartsock were very solid LBs against the run and they had Beavers to erase any Union WR threat or possible deep play.  O'Quinn is a good defensive player (absolute stupidity to not play him last year) but I think they should play him at SS if they have any hope of containing the run game.  That leaves three first year starting DBs to cover Union's WRs.....advantage Union.  Throw in a very capable rushing QB in Anderson and Union will be too much to handle.  In my opinion, Anderson and Honeycut were the only two to pressure RV's defense last year.  Bottom line, Union has more athletes this year than last year and RV has less.  That's about a 14-point difference.  Coaching/preparation/home field is another 7-point advantage to Union.  Of course, like I said...turnovers, injuries and/or crucial penalties can always swing a game.  Union 27-13

NOTE:  If I'm Turner, I'm having one of the 27 assistants track the following and let me know if it doesn't happen: Chandler gets 15-20 carries, Anderson gets 8-10 carries (designed draws, etc); I'm moving Anderson out of the pocket on some flood concepts to one side at least 5 times; take 3-5 deep shots to your best deep threat and at least one or two "trick plays" I personally think Union can run a HELLUVA flea flicker. My only concern about Union is that they REALLY REALLY want to run the ball on you....sometimes to their own harm. Be unpredictable and I'd script the first 15 plays.  USE YOUR WEAPONS AND USE THEM ANYWHERE ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!  If I was OC in Big Stone ya'll would run my butt outta town because I would be AGGRESSIVE in my play calling.  Handin' out heart attacks weekly until I got booted.  😅

18 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I didn't do a defensive analysis for RV.  This is pretty easy.

I don't think RV can stop the rushing attack.  I think they will sell out to, and may have some flashes of success, but in frustration will lose coverage and give up some big plays on the backend. This is the game where they will miss Counts' sideline to sideline tackles from the SS position, Hill and Hartsock were very solid LBs against the run and they had Beavers to erase any Union WR threat or possible deep play.  O'Quinn is a good defensive player (absolute stupidity to not play him last year) but I think they should play him at SS if they have any hope of containing the run game.  That leaves three first year starting DBs to cover Union's WRs.....advantage Union.  Throw in a very capable rushing QB in Anderson and Union will be too much to handle.  In my opinion, Anderson and Honeycut were the only two to pressure RV's defense last year.  Bottom line, Union has more athletes this year than last year and RV has less.  That's about a 14-point difference.  Coaching/preparation/home field is another 7-point advantage to Union.  Of course, like I said...turnovers, injuries and/or crucial penalties can always swing a game.  Union 27-13

NOTE:  If I'm Turner, I'm having one of the 27 assistants track the following and let me know if it doesn't happen: Chandler gets 15-20 carries, Anderson gets 8-10 carries (designed draws, etc); I'm moving Anderson out of the pocket on some flood concepts to one side at least 5 times; take 3-5 deep shots to your best deep threat and at least one or two "trick plays" I personally think Union can run a HELLUVA flea flicker. My only concern about Union is that they REALLY REALLY want to run the ball on you....sometimes to their own harm. Be unpredictable and I'd script the first 15 plays.  USE YOUR WEAPONS AND USE THEM ANYWHERE ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!  If I was OC in Big Stone ya'll would run my butt outta town because I would be AGGRESSIVE in my play calling.  Handin' out heart attacks weekly until I got booted.  😅

Good analysis but 27 coaches come on 25 at most wasn’t enough in the budget for 2 more backpacks 

9 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Good analysis but 27 coaches come on 25 at most wasn’t enough in the budget for 2 more backpacks 

What do you think those "Back-to-School" fund raisers/drives for Backpacks for Kids are really about?  My theory is that they were having one of those fund-raisers and the drop off point happened to be where the Union coaching meeting was.......and Bam!....magic was created.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

What do you think those "Back-to-School" fund raisers/drives for Backpacks for Kids are really about?  My theory is that they were having one of those fund-raisers and the drop off point happened to be where the Union coaching meeting was.......and Bam!....magic was created.

Lol!!!  I just wanna know what’s in those things some of them look pretty heavy 

17 hours ago, Vol Hater said:

I'm just hoping to see another brawl between these 2 fan bases........Just joking hope we see a well played game between these 2 imo the loser plays Graham in the 2nd round in bluefield.

Play the game at Riggs and seat both fan bases together.  

17 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I got to see an old PV vs Appy game at Riggs in the 90s. One of the top 3 HS environments I have ever seen to this day. Something about that stadium man.

Pisses me off they don’t play a game there ever couple of years just to let the Appy kids play once in their hometown 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I got to see an old PV vs Appy game at Riggs in the 90s. One of the top 3 HS environments I have ever seen to this day. Something about that stadium man.

43 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Pisses me off they don’t play a game there ever couple of years just to let the Appy kids play once in their hometown 

Riggs stadium is a special place. Attended many a game there and Bullitt Park growing up. I think the atmospheres at both places were so good because both towns supported their teams and schools unconditionally.

Combining the 2 schools, fanbases and traditions are what makes The Park's atmosphere even better today than it was with just PV alone.

I would not mind an occasional game at Riggs, but with the money they've put into Bullitt the last few years, I don't know if that will happen much, if at all.