New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

3 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

So what does this hire mean for the surrounding schools?

How many coaches and/or players come back or go to Richlands from Graham, Tazewell, Honaker and any other schools as a result of this coach?

A whole lot of folks who were recently mad about people recruiting AWAY from Richlands are suddenly going to become ok with the head coach recruiting TO Richlands. 

19 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

A whole lot of folks who were recently mad about people recruiting AWAY from Richlands are suddenly going to become ok with the head coach recruiting TO Richlands. 

I don’t have any inside track, but my position is “it is, what it is”. I don’t particularly like how commonplace the practice is at this time, but realize that is how things are nowadays. I have stated that I don’t begrudge a parent trying to do what is in the best interest of their child whether I agree with it or not. 

I think we all can agree, in the short term, it helps. I guess to sum it up, with any school, I have learned to accept it. It bothers me more when it leads to too large of a competition imbalance.

16 hours ago, Blue Tornado said:

It would have been done in executive session, in private, I think.

15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

That’s what I was thinking too. Personnel issues aren’t discussed in open meeting. It will probably be common knowledge in 24-48 hours if they hired someone. 

OF course it would have been done in executive session AND they never discuss personnel issues in an open meeting unless IT’S TO ANNOUNCE A NEW HIRE.  They didn’t announce after coming out executive session and the meeting was over is less than 30 minutes.   

36 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

How many coaches and/or players come back or go to Richlands from Graham, Tazewell, Honaker and any other schools as a result of this coach?

My best guess is none. Who knows though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm sure Davis will do a great job, maybe if he can give them a few years at the helm, it will get them steered back in the right direction.  He has a lot of time in the County and you have to wonder how many more years he's going to work in the school system, so there's that.  Maybe they can bring one of the younger coaches along for the long haul.  They need some stability and somebody who can get the kids to come out and buy in.  I don't think they have a tremendous pool of athletes to choose from right now, so it will most likely be a rough road for a few years, regardless of who is coaching.  I wish him luck, he certainly has his work cut out for him.  Anybody expecting a quick turn around will probably be disappointed.  It will take time to re-build the program.

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I'll put the over/under at 1 and I'm going with the under....

Okay, some have mentioned DC possibilities but what about OC? Does he try to bring Aaron Lowe back? A current assistant? Someone totally different? Maybe one of Union's forty assistants is looking to relocate? 🤣
(We have to keep the thread alive to outdo the one who shall not be named. 🤣😂).

Just trying to do my part.

So for those positions on staff, if not a “Richlands guy”, what positives does coming on board offer comparative to other situations? 
I’ll start:

1. No where to go, but up from 0-10.

2. Likely better resources than most smaller schools. (Potential talent due to enrollment, facilities due to prior successes and donations)

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Okay, some have mentioned DC possibilities but what about OC? Does he try to bring Aaron Lowe back? A current assistant? Someone totally different? Maybe one of Union's forty assistants is looking to relocate? 🤣
(We have to keep the thread alive to outdo the one who shall not be named. 🤣😂).

Just trying to do my part.

We'll trade 5 assistants to Graham for Jennings. Have to see what Richlands has to offer before I can make a trade with them. Lol

35 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

We'll trade 5 assistants to Graham for Jennings. Have to see what Richlands has to offer before I can make a trade with them. Lol

Y'all have so many assistants you could probably make a trade with Tazewell too and still have plenty. But do the backpacks come with the assistants? If not, no deal! 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

Y'all have so many assistants you could probably make a trade with Tazewell too and still have plenty. But do the backpacks come with the assistants? If not, no deal! 🤣🤣

Backpacks included! As a bonus, there might even be something in them!

AND if you act within the next 30 minutes, we'll even throw in a toot on the train horn!😂

7 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

New offense and talent are currently downloading.  Could hear some names within the week. Alumni are stepping up in support….getting creative.

I personally didnt think the offense was the problem last year. They were not going to win a shoot out but they were not the reason they lost games. #17 is the best player on their team and I thought they did a pretty good job trying to get him the ball. He played some RB TE and WR that is who you build the offense around. Now that defense had more holes in it than a screen door. That should be the first priority. I know most people think his brother will be coming over from Graham which my help but Richlands doesnt have the cats to send 6 or 7 every play and play cover 0 in the back end so unless he has something else in his tool belt that wont help much either. I dont know what side of the ball Davis specializes in but first thing he has to figure out is DC or OC which ever he isnt going to do then he needs to go find a good OL guy. Richlands used to be pretty good in that department last year was hard to watch. 

8 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I personally didnt think the offense was the problem last year. They were not going to win a shoot out but they were not the reason they lost games. #17 is the best player on their team and I thought they did a pretty good job trying to get him the ball. He played some RB TE and WR that is who you build the offense around. Now that defense had more holes in it than a screen door. That should be the first priority. I know most people think his brother will be coming over from Graham which my help but Richlands doesnt have the cats to send 6 or 7 every play and play cover 0 in the back end so unless he has something else in his tool belt that wont help much either. I dont know what side of the ball Davis specializes in but first thing he has to figure out is DC or OC which ever he isnt going to do then he needs to go find a good OL guy. Richlands used to be pretty good in that department last year was hard to watch. 

I'm pretty sure Davis DC at Richlands after Mance let Snake go. 

16 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I'm sure Davis will do a great job, maybe if he can give them a few years at the helm, it will get them steered back in the right direction.  He has a lot of time in the County and you have to wonder how many more years he's going to work in the school system, so there's that.  Maybe they can bring one of the younger coaches along for the long haul.  They need some stability and somebody who can get the kids to come out and buy in.  I don't think they have a tremendous pool of athletes to choose from right now, so it will most likely be a rough road for a few years, regardless of who is coaching.  I wish him luck, he certainly has his work cut out for him.  Anybody expecting a quick turn around will probably be disappointed.  It will take time to re-build the program.

The talent is in the school, just not on the team.  There has been to much "good old buddy" coaching going on for the past few years, and to much parental input, causing good talent to shy away from coming out for the team.  Davis has a good reputation with the community and hasn't played favorites in the past.  Now if the parents and school board higher ups will let him do his job, I think he'll bring this team back.  We all have to be realistic, it'll take a few years, but hey, one or two wins next year will be a huge improvement.

9 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

New offense and talent are currently downloading.  Could hear some names within the week. Alumni are stepping up in support….getting creative.

If what I am hearing is true. A current Head Coach is coming to Richlands if a Teaching job is available. If my information is true…Next years Richlands and Ridgeview game will be fun.

9 minutes ago, Centraljunkie said:

If what I am hearing is true. A current Head Coach is coming to Richlands if a Teaching job is available. If my information is true…Next years Richlands and Ridgeview game will be fun.

HC job isn't open so if he's coming it would have to be as an assistant.

Just now, Tru Blue72 said:

HC job isn't open so if he's coming it would have to be as an assistant.

A Current HC could be stepping down to come join Richlands Staff..I thought it was understood seeing how we are talking about Ronnie Davis  having the Job