New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

In all honesty, initially you have to be a yes man to accept any position or get an opportunity. It’s only when, you receive an inordinate level of success that you are somewhat insulated, although not invulnerable. Those hired, basically have to be on the side of decision makers in power.  When power changes, all bets are off. Look around. In recent years, there are numerous examples of turnover allegedly due to being on the wrong side. Examples in my opinion include most Richlands sports, Tazewell basketball and baseball post-Lou Peery, and possibly Ridgeview according to other posters. I don’t know if anyone really has concrete examples without bringing up former players, but those decisions are essentially popularity contests. Mediocre or bad results are often the results in the absence of a tremendous amount of talent. I imagine coaches making decisions are not obviously favoring connections over talent, but rather the tie goes to the best connection.

It’s not how it should be, but I would argue that it is this way in almost every school system or organization.

28 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

So from what you have stated, every coach that coaches any sport in any school in Tazewell County is simply a yes man or yes woman.  Wow, that's a lot of coaches for the school board to keep track of.  How do they pull this feat off?  Have they got a secret committee that no one knows about execpt every coach in the county sworn to secrecy?  Which school is discussed the most during their meetings?  I know I'm funning with you, and it is a bad situation with the school board trying to run everything, but it doesn't seem logical to me if every coach is a yes person. I just don't understand how the school board can control that.  Please explain the procedure for pulling this off in great detail so we can all watch for it. Looking forward to your

Simply put, the answer is yes.
The only thing wrong in your post is your assumption that they are a yes man the school board members, did not say that. They are yes men the central office staff. 

That is all the details needed. If you can’t understand that,  then just brush up on the Virginia public schools district make up, from central office down. Who hires who, who answers to who. 

It’s not hard to understand why an outsider is rarely hired. They can’t be controlled.  I’m not saying this is right or agreeing with it in any way. It sucks and kids suffer. But it’s real world and has been going on for a long time. 

1 hour ago, bleedblue89 said:

The only thing wrong in your post is your assumption that they are a yes man the school board members, did not say that. They are yes men the central office staff. 

That is all the details needed. If you can’t understand that,  then just brush up on the Virginia public schools district make up, from central office down. Who hires who, who answers to who. 

It’s not hard to understand why an outsider is rarely hired. They can’t be controlled.  I’m not saying this is right or agreeing with it in any way. It sucks and kids suffer. But it’s real world and has been going on for a long time. 

I’m not disagreeing, not making that assumption. Power and influence can and often does come from a variety of areas, not just position. It usually, but not always corresponds with money. 
I think the thing we all can agree on is hiring and retention decisions depends upon being on the right side, right or wrong.  When decisions like that are made, there is never a way to really prove it. 
It seems individual sports where positions are earned on the mat or court are one of the few places where it can be proven.

Right now, hope for improvement is all we have. My opinion doesn’t matter, since I don’t hire, but I believe that we see appreciable improvement. There’s no where to go, but up. 

Edited by tornado99
Correction

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

I believe that we see appreciable improvement. There’s no where to go, but up. 

I believe it will take a couple of seasons to get things turned around but I could see a huge step up next compared to this year.  I'm just anxious to see who the DC & OC will be and if the Big R gains any new players not currently at Richlands. 

On 12/15/2023 at 3:00 PM, bleedblue89 said:

I agree with the fact about the central office, after all, in any position I've ever worked there is always someone higher up to answer to.  The point I failed to make is that in this county, we have members of the school board, not central office, that try to rule the coaches.  Enough from me on this topic.

The OC and DC will be an important assignment, and I can't wait to see who HC Davis has in mind for those positions.  As stated in a previous post, the oportunity for improvement is high considering the 0-10 season we just went through.

I get that OC and DC are a big hire but the issue the guy Davis wants hopefully teaches a class that has an opening at Richlands or works outside of the school. Assistant coaches only get paid $3000 ish you got to have a job to go with it.

1 minute ago, Jags52 said:

I get that OC and DC are a big hire but the issue the guy Davis wants hopefully teaches a class that has an opening at Richlands or works outside of the school. Assistant coaches only get paid $3000 ish you got to have a job to go with it.

I think they are looking pretty good in that area.  

19 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Tazewell County has plenty of long term subs at the moment. There should be a job somewhere in the system for a new assistant hire. 

17 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the school board has the final approval on all assistants, and I do understand the reason for that, but that is correct is it not?

The principals make recommendations on coaching assignments and board approves them; that’s my understanding. I’d say it would be rare that the board would go against the principal’s recommendation. In this case, I would presume, the principal & head coach discussed likely OC & DC and once said guys have agreed to take the positions , they will be approved. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

The principals make recommendations on coaching assignments and board approves them; that’s my understanding. I’d say it would be rare that the board would go against the principal’s recommendation. In this case, I would presume, the principal & head coach discussed likely OC & DC and once said guys have agreed to take the positions , they will be approved. 

Thanks for your input.  I think that's the way it works and hopefully they will get this done sooner than later.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm hearing some good news about assistants and if what I'm hearing is true, HC Davis will have a good group with him, and some new players transfering in.  Not able to say a lot seeing it's not official, but if it works out, I think the Blues will be a suprisingly good team next year.  

Hope everyone has a great New Year and can't wait to see if all the talk that's going around is true.  Looking forward to a great year.

22 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Guys, I'm hearing some good news about assistants and if what I'm hearing is true, HC Davis will have a good group with him, and some new players transfering in.  Not able to say a lot seeing it's not official, but if it works out, I think the Blues will be a suprisingly good team next year.  

Hope everyone has a great New Year and can't wait to see if all the talk that's going around is true.  Looking forward to a great year.

All I keep hearing is Reece. Father-Son duo. 

23 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

All I keep hearing is Reece. Father-Son duo. 

22 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

That would be Lebanon's QB and his dad.

That could be a game changer. Isn’t the kid a three sport athlete? Football ain’t the only sport that’s in desperate need of talent. Maybe he can bring some guys along with him that’s not happy with the current climate of Boyd High, I mean Lebanon.  Or the Boyd's can come back to Richlands, there’s an HC basketball coach available. Our AD position needs a change. Either way, it will be improvement. 

9 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

That could be a game changer. Isn’t the kid a three sport athlete? Football ain’t the only sport that’s in desperate need of talent. Maybe he can bring some guys along with him that’s not happy with the current climate of Boyd High, I mean Lebanon.  Or the Boyd's can come back to Richlands, there’s an HC basketball coach available. Our AD position needs a change. Either way, it will be improvement. 

I’m pretty sure he does play basketball and baseball which begs the question why would he come to Richlands when Lebanon is already better than Richlands in all 3 sports. He would also be in the SWD so really nothing changes he just has to carry the load with a different jersey on

11 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I’m pretty sure he does play basketball and baseball which begs the question why would he come to Richlands when Lebanon is already better than Richlands in all 3 sports. He would also be in the SWD so really nothing changes he just has to carry the load with a different jersey on

Valid points. 

Coming to Richlands wouldn’t be a bad move for the kid.  I know I’m the first to critique RHS, but I do in fact , bleed blue, and want to see them succeed. 

They are on a good path, the football program will definitely improve, Ronnie Davis knows football, all he needs is for the kids and community to buy in. Basketball has the same potential, place a good head coach in the position that will invest time with the kids and watch it get better. Baseball, it’s rock bottom, the worst it’s ever been. They are in desperate need of stability and a head coach that’s interested in investing time and growing the program. Maybe with the new field they can attract a quality coach and get that program on the right track.  Honestly, the future is far from bleak, it’s actually lookin’ pretty good for the blues. 

It would also help if parents and politics would stay out of the way, just sayin’ 

5 hours ago, Irishman said:

I have a question, did coach Davis, every play football, at Richlands ? I am not from Richlands .

He did, but he had a heart attack during two-a-days before his sophomore year and it ended his playing career. 

On 12/29/2023 at 9:08 AM, Tru Blue72 said:

Who are other possible assistants besides Lebanon dad? 

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Question on the Reese kid at Lebanon. Where is his father from? Did his father play on the 1992 Lebanon great teams in football and basketball? Thanks in advance

Idk abt basketball but he was on the football team. Went on to play at uva wise as a lineman.