UVA Wise coach call it quits

RichRich

WISE - - UVA Wise announced Tuesday that the school had partnered with Mammoth Sports Consulting to assist in the search for its next football coach. Mammoth Vice President Dr. Kurt Patberg will be leading the search. Additionally, Director of Athletics Kendall Rainey announced that Mike Compton will serve as Interim Head Coach during the search process. Previously, Compton served as Associate Head Coach and Offensive Line Coach for the Cavaliers over the last eight seasons. He replaces Dane Damron who resigned following the conclusion of the regular season.

"We appreciate Coach Damron's service to UVA Wise and our student-athletes, remarked Rainey. "He led the Highland Cavalier football program through a pandemic, a conference transition, and was a leader in facility upgrades at UVA Wise including a renovated weight room, football office facility, and new Field Turf."

A Southwest Virginia native, Compton played 12 seasons in the NFL before having various coaching stints at local high schools and colleges before reaching UVA Wise.

"Mike Compton will serve as Interim Head Coach effective immediately to lead day-to-day operations and recruiting efforts, added Rainey. "We're confident he will provide steady leadership during this time of transition for the team."

Mammoth is a modern master build firm dedicated to building places where passion and community collide. The company consults, creates, and constructs sports projects of every size. Its services include golf course construction, concrete products and supply, general construction, and architecture and engineering design, full-service marketing and creative services, and sports consulting. More information is available at mammothbuilt.com. 

59 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Guess we can put the Compton to Richlands ponderings to bed.  I think they’ll bring in an outside HC and Mike stays on in his current role. 

Looks that way! Can’t be interim HC at UVA-Wise and HC at RHS! I guess whomever JM wants will get it. Same ole, same ole! 

6 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

That would be somewhat surprising to me.  If they are going to spend money on a recruiting firm I would think they would entertain opportunities from outside the UVA Wise family.

I honestly have no idea.  Not sure who would want that job honestly.  Talked to Justin Hamilton years ago and he didn’t have anything good to say about it up there.  Lack of scholarships seemed to be the biggest issue but maybe it’s gotten better since 

10 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Guess we can put the Compton to Richlands ponderings to bed.  I think they’ll bring in an outside HC and Mike stays on in his current role. 

A new coach usually wants to bring in his own people but I guess if he knows upfront & still takes job, no biggie.