UVA Wise coach call it quits

RichRich

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

That could free up Mike Compton to coach at Richlands. Just sayin’

The same thought crossed my mind. With back-to-back 2-9 seasons, UVA-W won't promote from within, and a new coach isn't going to retain key staff.  

51 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Probably a wise decision

If I were them I’d call Justin Hamilton and see if he’s interested. I know he’s with the Tennessee Titans but it wouldn’t kill them to try.  

3 hours ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Think that ship already sailed once. That college wants 0 from swva.

This is why so many don't go to their games. When you call yourself Southwest Virginia's team but the vast majority of the team is from NOVA, folks lose interest They should take a page from EH and see how much more support they'd get. I know there's faster skill players up the road, but there's some good lineman in this region at least.

How does one get a head coach job anywhere with this type of stats?

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Kentucky Christian Knights (NAIA independent) (2007–2008)
2007 Kentucky Christian 2–4      
2008 Kentucky Christian 1–9      
Kentucky Christian: 3–13    
Virginia–Wise Cavaliers (Mountain East Conference) (2016–present)
2016 Virginia–Wise 6–5 5–5 T–4th  
2017 Virginia–Wise 5–6 4–6 T–6th  
2018 Virginia–Wise 4–6 4–6 8th  
Virginia–Wise Cavaliers (South Atlantic Conference) (2019–present)
2019 Virginia–Wise 2–9 1–7 8th  
2020–21 Virginia–Wise 1–2 1–2 T–3rd (Mountain)  
2021 Virginia–Wise 5–6 4–4 5th  
2022 Virginia–Wise 2–9 1–8 5th (Mountain)  
2023 Virginia–Wise 2-9 1-8 5th (Mountain)  
Virginia–Wise: 27-52 21–46  
Total: 30–65

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

And to clarify, I am referring to scholarships.  Something they are very stingy with up there even though they are a public university. The only one in the conference they are in. 

What is the deal with scholarships?  Do they not use all they are allowed?

I do believe when Lusk was there, he tried to get a few locals but he didn't inherit a great program either.  He didn't set the conference on fire either after a couple of years kinda back in the same old spot.  Coach Robbins is there in some form or fashion and a wealth of knowledge whether you like the guy or not he knows football, players, and how to establish a program.  Why not use your resources that are still around?  Colley, Robbins, Jones, Housewright, Colobro, Salyers, etc.  They've never coached college that I know of but rather than hiring a new guy without some old-school mentality, call on some local proven coaches.  What's the worst that could happen?  Another sub-par showing?

They recruited the oldest pretty hard, actually harder than any other school.  I was told point blank they don’t like to recruit local players because their wash out rate is much higher than kids outside the region and they specifically don’t recruit local skill players.   I would say he is mostly correct. Coach and I spoke at length during the visit and I learned a lot about him.  I liked him well enough.  He liked it there but that school is at a disadvantage.  Kids still want to be kids and have some fun in college and the campus doesn’t other much in the way of entertainment.  As for the scholarships, I was disappointed in what they offered, specifically for how hard he was recruited.  
I wish him the best of luck. 

18 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

They recruited the oldest pretty hard, actually harder than any other school.  I was told point blank they don’t like to recruit local players because their wash out rate is much higher than kids outside the region and they specifically don’t recruit local skill players.   I would say he is mostly correct. Coach and I spoke at length during the visit and I learned a lot about him.  I liked him well enough.  He liked it there but that school is at a disadvantage.  Kids still want to be kids and have some fun in college and the campus doesn’t other much in the way of entertainment.  As for the scholarships, I was disappointed in what they offered, specifically for how hard he was recruited.  
I wish him the best of luck. 

UVA-Wise, Washington and Lee and Emory and Henry pursued my eldest, but it wasn't even close. Coach Grande and EH went out of their way to land him with everything from finances to housing. I hope that the next HC at UVAW is like this. I hate seeing them struggling:(

It's lame of me, but I give zero concerns about UVA-Wise because of the first 3 letters in the school name.  I just can't get past that, and I have no idea what the reason is regarding why UVA-Wise doesn't ever seem to be any good, but I do have suspicion.  The suspicion begins with the first 3 letters of the school name.  

1 hour ago, Unchained said:

UVA-Wise, Washington and Lee and Emory and Henry pursued my eldest, but it wasn't even close. Coach Grande and EH went out of their way to land him with everything from finances to housing. I hope that the next HC at UVAW is like this. I hate seeing them struggling:(

Coach Grande was a top notch guy, coached myself and older brother. He is currently at Iowa State doing big things with their coaching staff. Coached at E&H and Ferrum; tough lose for VA high school guys moving on to the next level.

45 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

It's lame of me, but I give zero concerns about UVA-Wise because of the first 3 letters in the school name.  I just can't get past that, and I have no idea what the reason is regarding why UVA-Wise doesn't ever seem to be any good, but I do have suspicion.  The suspicion begins with the first 3 letters of the school name.  

If you ever look at their roster every year it’s 75% freshman it seems so apparently every kid quits or transfers after their first season.

Just now, Duke2015 said:

If you ever look at their roster every year it’s 75% freshman it seems so apparently every kid quits or transfers after their first season.

This is very true.  It was like that when I went to school there in 96. The only time the program was rolling was then with Ramseyer.  Made the playoffs a year earlier. 

Just now, Wolf1207 said:

This is very true.  It was like that when I went to school there in 96. The only time the program was rolling was then with Ramseyer.  Made the playoffs a year earlier. 

Any idea why most kids leave after 1 year???  I think they could have a solid program if the kids stayed 

2 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Any idea why most kids leave after 1 year???  I think they could have a solid program if the kids stayed 

Because most are from east of Roanoke and there is nothing to do in Wise.  I don’t want to sound racial but I think Wise especially being mostly a white town doesn’t help.