Question...

GMan

I have no clue recently. Throughout a longer time period, my perception was it was very common to move between the two.

17 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Graham's recent transfers have been Mt.View/Princeton right? Other than the kid who played on the o-line this year am I missing a transfer from Bluefield? 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it's been long enough, here are mine...

Honorable Mention - Schools that play in a lower class than they should be playing in...you know which ones I'm talking about...<pointing finger>Riverheads, Grayson Co</pointing finger>

#3 - Princeton - There's nothing about them that I've ever liked...always have a chip on their shoulder for no reason at all, they were never good, until maybe this year. And their fans are just awful, finger nails down a chalkboard bad.  We'll just leave that one there.

#2 - Radford - I just don't like them, Ugly uniforms, their black and gold looks like baby poop and their garbage stadium that should have been condemned in the 1980s.  And then there was that playoff game in the 90s...I think there was some illegitimacy to that win...they knew every play that Graham was running.

And, I'm sorry if this pisses off a few people on this board...

#1 - Gate City - Hated them from the earliest days that I can remember. Their holdbacks, the kids that came over from TN, their train horn, the fact they don't care what side of the stadium they sit on.  On top of that, they always seemed to beat Graham when I was a kid, the hate was real. My uncle played on the team that lost 52-0 and 70-14 in the early 70s, I think he helped fuel my hatred for GC. Fortunately, my years in high school, we took 3 of 4...I'll sill can see Eddie Hall picking off a screen pass and sprinting 40+ yards to the endzone my freshman year. But I digress, I just don't like them.

On 12/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, 1inStripes said:

Pennington was 2A. The last year maybe two before Lees consolidation Region D  was won by Cumberland District schools in both Division 1 & 2.

In 88, it was Pennington and Jonesville. In 87 it was Pennington and Appalachia. In 1988, Appy went into the PV game ranked #1 in the state. The upset loss to PV took all the steam out of them and imo the carry over resulted in the loss to Jonesville the following week, but they were probably the best team in Division 1 or 2. They had beaten Pennington earlier in the year and unless in mistaken, Jonesville too. 1988 Appy is one of the best teams ever from SWVA not to win a state title. They were loaded.

16 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

In 88, it was Pennington and Jonesville. In 87 it was Pennington and Appalachia. In 1988, Appy went into the PV game ranked #1 in the state. The upset loss to PV took all the steam out of them and imo the carry over resulted in the loss to Jonesville the following week, but they were probably the best team in Division 1 or 2. They had beaten Pennington earlier in the year and unless in mistaken, Jonesville too. 1988 Appy is one of the best teams ever from SWVA not to win a state title. They were loaded.

You are correct.  In 1988, Appy beat both Pennington and Jonesville.  They beat Jonesville in the first game of the season and then beat Pennington a few weeks later.  I believe the score was 12-7.  I remember it being less than a touchdown.  Pennington lost to Gate City in week 3 and then Appy in week 4, and then won 10 in a row before losing to Lexington in the state semifinals.  

On 12/23/2023 at 1:06 PM, GMan said:

OK, it's been long enough, here are mine...

Honorable Mention - Schools that play in a lower class than they should be playing in...you know which ones I'm talking about...<pointing finger>Riverheads, Grayson Co</pointing finger>

#3 - Princeton - There's nothing about them that I've ever liked...always have a chip on their shoulder for no reason at all, they were never good, until maybe this year. And their fans are just awful, finger nails down a chalkboard bad.  We'll just leave that one there.

#2 - Radford - I just don't like them, Ugly uniforms, their black and gold looks like baby poop and their garbage stadium that should have been condemned in the 1980s.  And then there was that playoff game in the 90s...I think there was some illegitimacy to that win...they knew every play that Graham was running.

And, I'm sorry if this pisses off a few people on this board...

#1 - Gate City - Hated them from the earliest days that I can remember. Their holdbacks, the kids that came over from TN, their train horn, the fact they don't care what side of the stadium they sit on.  On top of that, they always seemed to beat Graham when I was a kid, the hate was real. My uncle played on the team that lost 52-0 and 70-14 in the early 70s, I think he helped fuel my hatred for GC. Fortunately, my years in high school, we took 3 of 4...I'll sill can see Eddie Hall picking off a screen pass and sprinting 40+ yards to the endzone my freshman year. But I digress, I just don't like them.

Gate City fans can be quite insufferable when they are in a good cycle. During those times if they lose a game they blame the refs, being sore losers. During those cycles they have some sore winners. 

Call it out on forums and there will be people making excuses or appealing to hypocrisy. Does no good. 

Other fanbases can be like that too. It is what it is. 

On 12/28/2023 at 4:44 PM, sup_rbeast said:

The 93 Appy team imo was the best team they ever and one of the best teams I’ve seen even though they lost the game late to middlesex.  Lost the game at kickoff since they played a suspended player due to a court ruling I was told.  They returned the favor the following season winning 72-7