Question...

GMan

5 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I can attest 100% that students got to pick colors and names. The best names were not picked, IMHO, but I wasn't a student.

Lonesome PIne High and Heritage were some finalist for Union. Heritage was thrown out because of the existence of other Heritages.

My personal favorite for Eastside was Twin Rivers. Other mascots for them were the Griffins and Hellbenders, for the salamander.

The original names for the 3 were going to be Wise Co Central, East and South. I think Central stayed because they couldn't think of anything better. Eastside is obvious from that list. So, Union is really the only unique name... which isn't saying much.

Looking back Heritage would have been cool. 

what were some other mascot possibilities?

11 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I can attest 100% that students got to pick colors and names. The best names were not picked, IMHO, but I wasn't a student.

Lonesome PIne High and Heritage were some finalist for Union. Heritage was thrown out because of the existence of other Heritages.

My personal favorite for Eastside was Twin Rivers. Other mascots for them were the Griffins and Hellbenders, for the salamander.

The original names for the 3 were going to be Wise Co Central, East and South. I think Central stayed because they couldn't think of anything better. Eastside is obvious from that list. So, Union is really the only unique name... which isn't saying much.

So Heritage was thrown out because of the common name and we now have the 5,541th Central in the country? 🙂

10 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Looking back Heritage would have been cool. 

what were some other mascot possibilities?

It seemed like Bears were at the forefront, but Miners, Mountain Lions/Panthers and Wolves were considered.

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

That’s odd it was deleted. 

Yeah it may be college ball, but many here in SWVA are watching it. More importantly 58 seniors that are playing this game will lay their lives on the line for our freedom. I think that at least deserves a thread.

Central - this one is obvious. It seems every opponent that has visited there has a list of complaints. The only reason I don't want them going 0-10 is loss of PPs.

Appomattox - nothing to do with their success. My dislike goes back to 2014 when Lee beat them, and their fans lit up social media complaining they were "disrespected" because Lee brought their band and inflatable to an away game. 🙄

All the whining about the Giles train horn didn't help either.

Any private/magnet  school- any school that can hand pick their students has no business whatsoever competing against a public school.

Honorable mention - Riverheads - even though their fans seem oblivious to it, willfully or blissfully ignorant, any school district that adjusts attendance boundaries to keep a school JUST under the smallest classification cap is not competing in the true spirit of sportsmanship. As far as denial goes, the local paper has published at least one article on the boundary adjustments.

36 minutes ago, Unchained said:

Yeah it may be college ball, but many here in SWVA are watching it. More importantly 58 seniors that are playing this game will lay their lives on the line for our freedom. I think that at least deserves a thread.

Looks like it wasn't deleted, but was moved over to the College/Pro Sports board

Richlands- never really hated the team, mostly the fans- but after last season i sorta feel bad for them

Tazewell- well because there Tazewell

Bluefield- Hate them until after the Beaver/Graham game, then like a bad cousin- there tolerable

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Gate City at one point was probably the most hated team on this board years ago in my opinion. 

Haha yes I agree,  No scott county teams drawing heat anymore.  

7 hours ago, Unchained said:

So Heritage was thrown out because of the common name and we now have the 5,541th Central in the country? 🙂

They had a plan to put all three schools together and build identical things for them  all on one piece of land.  I think Dan fast was in with that group I may be wrong

7 hours ago, Unchained said:

They claim the students voted for the name.

7 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

IMO, students are ill-equipped to select a proper school name. Most have little knowledge or appreciation for local history, geography, or fauna. The results are unimaginative and generic names and mascots best suited for a Disney Channel high school.

15 hours ago, Unchained said:

I DESPISE the 3 names WC stuck on these schools. When Central was formed, I wanted Indian Creek High school named for the mountain/road connecting the 2 communities and liked Redhawks as the name for the redtail hawks that call this region home. Union is only slightly better a name and Eastside sounds like a gangbanger's paradise:). They claim the students voted for the name. Either A they didn't or B the other name they had on the ballot was turdbuckets.

15 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Lonesome Pine was an absolutely perfect name and a huge missed opportunity. Another mistake, if the name had to be Union, was to not select Miners as the mascot. 

I wasn't familiar with Indian Creek, but that would've been an excellent choice for Kelly-Pound

As far as Coeburn-St Paul, there was a less obvious choice but Tom's Creek, Guest River, Clinch River, Ralph Stanley, or 50 other names would've been far better than Eastside. Hellbenders paired with a river name would've been superb.

15 hours ago, GMan said:

What school(s) do you absoloutely hate

Riverheads!!!

If they play where they belong, Galax wins a couple more championships. That group between 2019 and 2021 deserves better. Those were the best teams Galax ever produced.

I haven't attended a game in over 20 years, but as a Lee Alumn, it was always Gate City for me.  

Whenever we played, as an immature teenager mind you, it just seemed something always went wrong:  untimely penalties, TDs called back, etc etc.

Mix that with some of the most obnoxious fans that would come sit on our side!  It was a cess pool of hate! Lol