Updated football fields

fishfan

Work has begun at Graham and Tazewell.  From my understanding, they can't put turf down until the temperature remains above 54 degrees for an extended period of time, but the other foundational work has begun.  Don't know much about Graham's field, but hear that Tazewell's field will include new visitors seating, a track (not sure if rubberized or not) -  Not sure if there will be much done to the home side of the stadium, haven't heard.  The Turf field will be alternating dark and light green, bulldog logo in the middle and the field will be trimmed in black.  Markings for soccer and track and field will be included on the field (not 100% sure on that).  I believe that everything at THS should be good to go for next football season.    When all is said and done, I believe it will be very similar to the setup at Christiansburg High School.  

Also hearing that Tazewell is planning to upgrade their softball field and install a permanent fence and add more seating and lighting. 

As for Graham, it looks like they have torn down the fence between the two fields and the turf looks (to me anyway) like it will be laid down somewhere in the middle of where the two practice fields were (I assume to make room for a future grandstand and visitors stands).  I hear they are also getting a track.  

But yes, work has begun and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out at THS, from what I hear, it will look very nice.

As for Richlands, haven't heard, but I would assume, most of that work will be put off until the weather gets warmer, since not as much has to be done.

That is a lot of money being put down (no pun intended) in Tazewell county.  Richlands is in dire need of new turf...that stuff is like outdoor carpet.....and it would be nice to see the field color actually match the school colors.

24 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

That is a lot of money being put down (no pun intended) in Tazewell county.  Richlands is in dire need of new turf...that stuff is like outdoor carpet.....and it would be nice to see the field color actually match the school colors.

I've noticed that.  A royal"ish" blue colored turf and navy blue school colors.  Not the same

I heard if Graham gets a stadium that the funding will need to come from the community. There are no funds allocated from the school board, town, or county. I wonder what price tag we’re looking at and if enough donations can be collected to make it a reality. 

Yes, on Richlands field, get the color right time, lol. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I heard if Graham gets a stadium that the funding will need to come from the community. There are no funds allocated from the school board, town, or county. I wonder what price tag we’re looking at and if enough donations can be collected to make it a reality. 

Yes, on Richlands field, get the color right time, lol. 

I've heard the money will be found. It's just a matter of time now. I was told between mitchell and the soccer complex they've paid in excess of 80k. You could keep paying that......or invest that into your own facility. Besides......they just hit us hard on property taxes. There will be money.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Yes but an actual stadium at Graham is not part of that just the turf field/track. 

Mitchell Stadium, despite its history and popularity contest victory, has always been a money pit for Graham and TCPS. Graham could have already had a stadium but they just had to play up there. They arent even the first pick for games. Its Bluefield High School's stadium. It's like living in the same house with woman whose previous husband lived there, never does feel like yours. They always had the perfect setup at the high school but never built it. Play the Beaver/Graham game at Mitchell and have your own home stadium. 

3 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Mitchell Stadium, despite its history and popularity contest victory, has always been a money pit for Graham and TCPS. Graham could have already had a stadium but they just had to play up there. They arent even the first pick for games. Its Bluefield High School's stadium. It's like living in the same house with woman whose previous husband lived there, never does feel like yours. They always had the perfect setup at the high school but never built it. Play the Beaver/Graham game at Mitchell and have your own home 

Pretty sure thats the plan.

7 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Mitchell Stadium, despite its history and popularity contest victory, has always been a money pit for Graham and TCPS. Graham could have already had a stadium but they just had to play up there. They arent even the first pick for games. Its Bluefield High School's stadium. It's like living in the same house with woman whose previous husband lived there, never does feel like yours. They always had the perfect setup at the high school but never built it. Play the Beaver/Graham game at Mitchell and have your own home stadium. 

Most of this is complete rubbish. First when you do a true financial assessment Tazewell County comes out way ahead renting Mitchell Stadium. It costs way more in primary and secondary costs to have a stadium. Think insurance, security, utilities, maintenance, etc. Second. Graham and Bluefield alternate first pick for games. Last year Bluefield had to move two dates to accommodate Graham and Graham had to move one date. Next season there are once again three conflicts. If that remains Graham will move two and Bluefield one. There was a time 25 or so years ago when neither paid rent. It is true at that time Bluefield always got first pick. But when Graham started paying rent that they insisted on equal access to dates and the home side. They were granted those requests. Third. Is Graham going to pay rent for the one home game with Bluefield every other year? Is Graham just going to let Bluefield be home every year and use WV Referees and rules? Is Graham going to let Bluefield be home every year and let Bluefield keep all of the gate receipts instead of splitting the gate every year like they do now?

Now having said that the soccer field issue is a valid point. The soccer team generates almost no revenue so it does make sense to look for an alternative to the gouging the soccer complex charges.

10 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

The turf fields are funded by TCPS, it passed at one of the last board meetings.  

Correct.  The county got the funding from federal grants and county taxpayers are not on the hook for a dime of these costs.  A lot of folks are upset over the huge increase in property assessments that just came out in Tazewell County, a lot of mad folks down this way.  

On 1/30/2024 at 12:57 PM, SwvaOG said:

Agree.  As for Tazewell, I would like to see the Grandstands on the home field upgraded a little and painted in with Kelly Green, currently the stadium has about 4 shades of Green in different spots...

3 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Most of this is complete rubbish. First when you do a true financial assessment Tazewell County comes out way ahead renting Mitchell Stadium. It costs way more in primary and secondary costs to have a stadium. Think insurance, security, utilities, maintenance, etc. Second. Graham and Bluefield alternate first pick for games. Last year Bluefield had to move two dates to accommodate Graham and Graham had to move one date. Next season there are once again three conflicts. If that remains Graham will move two and Bluefield one. There was a time 25 or so years ago when neither paid rent. It is true at that time Bluefield always got first pick. But when Graham started paying rent that they insisted on equal access to dates and the home side. They were granted those requests. Third. Is Graham going to pay rent for the one home game with Bluefield every other year? Is Graham just going to let Bluefield be home every year and use WV Referees and rules? Is Graham going to let Bluefield be home every year and let Bluefield keep all of the gate receipts instead of splitting the gate every year like they do now?

Now having said that the soccer field issue is a valid point. The soccer team generates almost no revenue so it does make sense to look for an alternative to the gouging the soccer complex charges.

You might think it's rubbish, but it's not. Bluefield WV is not fiscally responsible which is why the rent keeps raising. When the turf was put down in 2007 the city of Bluefield was charging 35k a year in rent. That money from tazewell and mercer county school boards were supposed to be put in an account that was 70k yearly for turf replacement. I was told that personally by the director of parks and rec. When it came time to replace the turf the city had spent the money and had to get the money from the schott foundation. Then they raised the rent more. Not to mention they take 20% of concessions from the band. They arent going to miss Graham. They have BU and BSU now. You can doubt it if you wish but it's going to happen.

17 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Agree.  As for Tazewell, I would like to see the Grandstands on the home field upgraded a little and painted in with Kelly Green, currently the stadium has about 4 shades of Green in different spots...

Kelly green is so difficult to match up, whether its clothing or paint. I would like to see the wooden bleachers get replaced with metal ones. 

On 2/1/2024 at 11:03 AM, LacesOutDan23 said:

Kelly green is so difficult to match up, whether its clothing or paint. I would like to see the wooden bleachers get replaced with metal ones. 

The color green in general is an issue with how it reacts to light.  Just drive by and look at any green tin roof.  It can all come from the same manufacturer with the same manufacturing date but some will fade and change colors at different levels.  

15 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

The color green in general is an issue with how it reacts to light.  Just drive by and look at any green tin roof.  It can all come from the same manufacturer with the same manufacturing date but some will fade and change colors at different levels.  

Green is such a dumb color. Why would ANYONE ever use it. 😉

On 1/29/2024 at 7:01 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Work has begun at Graham and Tazewell.  From my understanding, they can't put turf down until the temperature remains above 54 degrees for an extended period of time, but the other foundational work has begun.  Don't know much about Graham's field, but hear that Tazewell's field will include new visitors seating, a track (not sure if rubberized or not) -  Not sure if there will be much done to the home side of the stadium, haven't heard.  The Turf field will be alternating dark and light green, bulldog logo in the middle and the field will be trimmed in black.  Markings for soccer and track and field will be included on the field (not 100% sure on that).  I believe that everything at THS should be good to go for next football season.    When all is said and done, I believe it will be very similar to the setup at Christiansburg High School.  

Also hearing that Tazewell is planning to upgrade their softball field and install a permanent fence and add more seating and lighting. 

As for Graham, it looks like they have torn down the fence between the two fields and the turf looks (to me anyway) like it will be laid down somewhere in the middle of where the two practice fields were (I assume to make room for a future grandstand and visitors stands).  I hear they are also getting a track.  

But yes, work has begun and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out at THS, from what I hear, it will look very nice.

As for Richlands, haven't heard, but I would assume, most of that work will be put off until the weather gets warmer, since not as much has to be done.

What work has begun at Tazewell? Still looks like it did after the last home playoff game! 

40 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

What work has begun at Tazewell? Still looks like it did after the last home playoff game! 

I hope I'm wrong I really do because it could be a great addition but judging by the things I'm seeing out there currently and the pace up at Graham I'd be shocked if we aren't wondering when they are starting still in July or August.  I just don't have my hopes up.