Region 2D Predictions? Boys

Wade_1

1) GC vs 4)Marion

2)Graham vs 3)Central

1)VA High vs 4) RV

2) Union vs 3) Lebanon

I know that most of us wouldn’t be surprised if any of these teams made it to the championship. What are your thoughts on round 1 games?

• Wade_1 changed the title to Region 2D Predictions? Boys
9 minutes ago, Wade_1 said:

1) GC vs 4)Marion

2)Graham vs 3)Central

1)VA High vs 4) RV

2) Union vs 3) Lebanon

I know that most of us wouldn’t be surprised if any of these teams made it to the championship. What are your thoughts on round 1 games?

I mean I would like for there to be a clear favorite in the region but I feel like any of the these games you’d have a better chance to flip a coin on it instead of guessing who wins. I’d say the one team that is slowly starting to pull away from the pack is V High with GC close behind and the other 4 teams even closer behind

Just now, Stelley said:

I mean I would like for there to be a clear favorite in the region but I feel like any of the these games you’d have a better chance to flip a coin on it instead of guessing who wins. I’d say the one team that is slowly starting to pull away from the pack is V High with GC close behind and the other 4 teams even closer behind

I agree, any of these 8 teams could make it, it just depends on who has the hotter hands that night.

I feel all of these teams are all within 10 points of each other either way on any given night.

Both of the 2/3 games are a coin flip RV v V High should be all Virginia High. The one that could get interesting is the GC and Marion game. If Marion comes out with a hot start (which they’ve seemed to be doing as of late) I just don’t see Gate City being able to respond when they get punched in the mouth

Whoever finishes 1st or 2nd in 2D has a very reasonable chance of playing for a state title against JM. 2C ain't pretty either. Floyd, Radford, Martinsville? Martinsville and Radford are shadows of what they once were. About 9 teams in my opinion from the west that on any given night, are within 3 to 4 points of each other. VH and GC kind of......kind of.....stand out in 2D, but not really. There's no major separation there. 

Floyd is probably playing the best basketball right now in 2C. They upset Carroll County in the Three River Championship game. All in all, 2C is way down this season from top to bottom and doesn't have that elite state level team at the top either. I wouldn't expect anyone in 2C to do any damage at the state level.

12 hours ago, Wade_1 said:

1) GC vs 4)Marion

2)Graham vs 3)Central

1)VA High vs 4) RV

2) Union vs 3) Lebanon

1) GC vs 4)Marion —- GC

2)Graham vs 3)Central —- Central

1)VA High vs 4) RV —- VA High 

2) Union vs 3) Lebanon —- Union

1) GC vs 3)Central —- GC

1) VA High vs 2) Union  —- Union

1) GC  vs 2) Union  —- Union

Bears win the championship 

Va High would easily win the region championship had Ethan Carpenter not got hurt, that loss is huge, now it makes that region tournament unpredictable. Yes VA High won the SWD tournament but that was somewhat delusional, the Cats jump out to a 21-4 lead and held on for dear life Graham cut it to 3 an just ran out of gas using so much energy storming back. I don’t have a real prediction but like most are saying all 8 are within 10pts or so within the other, probably all 8 have a realistic chance in advancing to state 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

1) GC vs 4)Marion —- GC

2)Graham vs 3)Central —- Central

1)VA High vs 4) RV —- VA High 

2) Union vs 3) Lebanon —- Union

1) GC vs 3)Central —- GC

1) VA High vs 2) Union  —- Union

1) GC  vs 2) Union  —- Union

Bears win the championship 

I have the same thing as this except with Gate City winning.  Also, I don't think Virginia High will necessarily blow out Ridgeview either.  I think they'll win but not necessarily blow them out.  Virginia High just didn't impress me all that much when I saw them against D-B.  I saw Ridgeview twice.  Against Battle on the road, they looked like a serious contender.  Against Abingdon, they looked like they could lose to Council.

On the girls side, I believe the Mountain 7 will sweep the quarterfinals with Central and Ridgeview in the title game with Central winning.  Battle girls almost beat Virginia High is why I think the Mountain 7 will sweep.

30 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I have the same thing as this except with Gate City winning.  Also, I don't think Virginia High will necessarily blow out Ridgeview either.  I think they'll win but not necessarily blow them out.  Virginia High just didn't impress me all that much when I saw them against D-B.  I saw Ridgeview twice.  Against Battle on the road, they looked like a serious contender.  Against Abingdon, they looked like they could lose to Council.

On the girls side, I believe the Mountain 7 will sweep the quarterfinals with Central and Ridgeview in the title game with Central winning.  Battle girls almost beat Virginia High is why I think the Mountain 7 will sweep.

Another thing to point out is we're asking 1 of these 7 teams to go into Gate City and beat them where they haven't lost all year, that's going to be tough. I do think out of the two conferences gate city will have the best player on the floor in Gunner Garrett 

17 minutes ago, Bcats said:

Another thing to point out is we're asking 1 of these 7 teams to go into Gate City and beat them where they haven't lost all year, that's going to be tough. I do think out of the two conferences gate city will have the best player on the floor in Gunner Garrett 

I don’t think gunner Garrett is even the best player in his district let alone the region. Ethan Collins should be district player of the year but it’s all politics and will let the senior Garrett win it. In the SWD you have Lee and Mozell who are the most athletic players in the region from V High. Lebanon has Lambert who is averaging almost 20 ppg  and Reece who is averaging a double double. Graham has ray who is probably the second best pg in the region (mozell)

I agree Bcats for GCs team, but I think the kid from Lebanon is the best in the region. That home court advantage for GC could be that extra little nudge that puts GC over the top. Keep in mind, you don't need to win the region. You just need to get to the finals and you advance to state.

Noah Farley from Floyd County. Remember this name. He might be the best player in both Region C and D right now. Keywords is "might be." He's a Freshmen. This kid will flirt with Div 1 offers come his junior and senior year. He's a guard and has the body of a junior and is fun to watch.  Floyd is the best team in Region C, but Martinsville and Radford could still possibly clip them on a good day, but Floyd would win 8 out of 10 against both of them. I think Floyd is the best in the West, but again, 8 other teams in the west could clip them. It's not a huge gap, but there is a gap in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Bcats said:

Va High would easily win the region championship had Ethan Carpenter not got hurt, that loss is huge, now it makes that region tournament unpredictable. Yes VA High won the SWD tournament but that was somewhat delusional, the Cats jump out to a 21-4 lead and held on for dear life Graham cut it to 3 an just ran out of gas using so much energy storming back. I don’t have a real prediction but like most are saying all 8 are within 10pts or so within the other, probably all 8 have a realistic chance in advancing to state 

Plus the fact the Virginia Highs court is a terrible place for a shooting team

1 hour ago, Bcats said:

I respectfully disagree with "Easily." Even with Carpenter, GC would be and is more than capable enough to top VA High on a good day. VH favs with Carpenter? Definitely they would be the favs, but I'm not buying the word "easily." Just my opinion though. 

32 minutes ago, Stelley said:

I don’t think gunner Garrett is even the best player in his district let alone the region. Ethan Collins should be district player of the year but it’s all politics and will let the senior Garrett win it. In the SWD you have Lee and Mozell who are the most athletic players in the region from V High. Lebanon has Lambert who is averaging almost 20 ppg  and Reece who is averaging a double double. Graham has ray who is probably the second best pg in the region (mozell)

I agree all of them you mentioned are good players, me personally I wouldn't put Lee in the mix with them guys just yet, I've witnessed games this year were he has dominated and then plenty of games were he has 2pts an was a non factor, he's only a freshman an he has a huge upside just as of right now the jury is still out on him

15 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I respectfully disagree with "Easily." Even with Carpenter, GC would be and is more than capable enough to top VA High on a good day. VH favs with Carpenter? Definitely they would be the favs, but I'm not buying the word "easily." Just my opinion though. 

To your credit Wise Central did beat VA High fully loaded 

34 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I agree Bcats for GCs team, but I think the kid from Lebanon is the best in the region. That home court advantage for GC could be that extra little nudge that puts GC over the top. Keep in mind, you don't need to win the region. You just need to get to the finals and you advance to state.

Noah Farley from Floyd County. Remember this name. He might be the best player in both Region C and D right now. Keywords is "might be." He's a Freshmen. This kid will flirt with Div 1 offers come his junior and senior year. He's a guard and has the body of a junior and is fun to watch.  Floyd is the best team in Region C, but Martinsville and Radford could still possibly clip them on a good day, but Floyd would win 8 out of 10 against both of them. I think Floyd is the best in the West, but again, 8 other teams in the west could clip them. It's not a huge gap, but there is a gap in my opinion.

Last year Floyd County had a d1 football player that would bully you down low, he was a beast down low I don't remember his name, I believe his brother is still there. #24 was also a good player for Floyd last year, I just don't know if last season if he was a senior or if he's still there

1 hour ago, Bcats said:

Last year Floyd County had a d1 football player that would bully you down low, he was a beast down low I don't remember his name, I believe his brother is still there. #24 was also a good player for Floyd last year, I just don't know if last season if he was a senior or if he's still there

Kaiden Swortzel is a TE at The Citadel. Rylan Swortzel (#24) is still there. They have a younger brother Gavin (#44) that is a freshman and talented as hell. The younger Swortzel is already bigger than his brothers.

Floyd is a very young team but with a lot of players in that 6'-1" to 6'-5" size range. Rylan Swortzel is the only senior on the roster. 

I know they found a loophole to be able to host the Region D tournament at Gate City instead of the Prior Center at UVA Wise.  Because of that, I believe that if Gate City doesn't win the Region D Tournament on its home floor then that is just a total wash.  

There is no way they should lose any game on their home floor.  Marion is not that good.  Marion has been absolutely rolled by Virginia High.  They just about were not good enough to beat a bunch of Class 1 Region D teams that couldn't hold a pail of water for the bottom of Class 2 Region D.  

If Marion does anything, I expect them to get toasted with butter when they come to Gate City.  Say a score of 84-32.   It will be bad.  

As for the rest of the Region D Tournament.... 

1) GC vs 4)Marion —- GC  .......  we have already spoke of this. 

2)Graham vs 3)Central —- Graham.  Central isn't that good.   They had a fluke win at Gate City last year and they will never ever win at Gate City ever again.  They won't make it to Gate City this year to win again after this game. 

1)VA High vs 4) RV —- VA High ... Virginia High is the second best team in Region D.   They can beat just about anyone... except the Blue Devils.  Like Central they had themselves a fluke win in the past region tournament at Gate City.  They won't win again. Southwest District just isn't good enough to beat the Mountain 7 for a Region D championship.  Ridgeview may put up a fight for a quarter.  Thats about it though. 

2) Union vs 3) Lebanon —- Union in a squeaker  They should probably beat Lebanon by about 1.  Lebanon will put up a fight.  Union though won't make it past Virginia High once they beat Lebanon..  Just aren't good enough. Just aren't tough enough.  Just don't have what it takes.  Even if they made it to the Region D finals and faced anyone from that bracket....they wouldn't be good enough to beat Gate City.  Not at all.   Don't have what it takes.  They woudn't have won state when they did if it wasn't for Covid and Richmond City telling their schools they could n't compete.  Sometimes you're the bird catching the worm.  They caught a big one during Covid.  

Region D Semifinals

Gate City vs. Graham  at Gate City      Gate City 67   Graham 43

Virginia High vs. Union at Gate City     Virginia High 75  Union 58

Region D Finals

Gate City vs. Virginia High  -    Gate City         Gate City 82   Virginia High 60

State Quarterfinals

Gate City vs. Martinsville  -  Gate City        Gate City 78   Martinsville  48

Virginia High vs. Floyd County  -  Floyd County      Floyd County 79   Virginia High 73

State Semifinals

Gate City vs. Floyd County -  Gate City    Gate City 77   Floyd County 46

State Finals 

Gate City vs. John Marshall   

52 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

I know they found a loophole to be able to host the Region D tournament at Gate City instead of the Prior Center at UVA Wise.  Because of that, I believe that if Gate City doesn't win the Region D Tournament on its home floor then that is just a total wash.  

There is no way they should lose any game on their home floor.  Marion is not that good.  Marion has been absolutely rolled by Virginia High.  They just about were not good enough to beat a bunch of Class 1 Region D teams that couldn't hold a pail of water for the bottom of Class 2 Region D.  

If Marion does anything, I expect them to get toasted with butter when they come to Gate City.  Say a score of 84-32.   It will be bad.  

2)Graham vs 3)Central —- Graham.  Central isn't that good.   They had a fluke win at Gate City last year and they will never ever win at Gate City ever again.  They won't make it to Gate City this year to win again after this game. 

1)VA High vs 4) RV —- VA High ... Virginia High is the second best team in Region D.   They can beat just about anyone... except the Blue Devils.  Like Central they had themselves a fluke win in the past region tournament at Gate City.  They won't win again. Southwest District just isn't good enough to beat the Mountain 7 for a Region D championship.  Ridgeview may put up a fight for a quarter.  Thats about it though. 

2) Union vs 3) Lebanon —- Union in a squeaker  They should probably beat Lebanon by about 1.  Lebanon will put up a fight.  Union though won't make it past Virginia High once they beat Lebanon..  Just aren't good enough. Just aren't tough enough.  Just don't have what it takes.  Even if they made it to the Region D finals and faced anyone from that bracket....they wouldn't be good enough to beat Gate City.  Not at all.   Don't have what it takes.  They woudn't have won state when they did if it wasn't for Covid and Richmond City telling their schools they could n't compete.  Sometimes you're the bird catching the worm.  They caught a big one during Covid.  

Region D Semifinals

Region D Finals

Gate City vs. Virginia High  -    Gate City         Gate City 82   Virginia High 60

State Quarterfinals

Virginia High vs. Floyd County  -  Floyd County      Floyd County 79   Virginia High 73

State Semifinals

State Finals 

Haha

1 hour ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Region D Semifinals

Region D Finals

State Quarterfinals

State Semifinals

State Finals 

I can't tell if he is joking or is he serious?