SWVA Sports Podcast Preseason Poll

Ryan4VT

I've got the ideas for the first two episodes of the new SWVA Sports Podcast that will debut later this summer. In one episode, we will cover the schedule drop and hit on some big matchups this season in SWVA. In the other, I want to do a preseason top 10 poll for the two classifications in SWVA.

So similar to what GMan does during the season, everybody rank the teams from our map (if you don't know all of the teams, see the logo at the top of the page. That is our footprint). I'll tally up the points and we will create a preseason poll and talk about it on the pod. During the season, we will use GMan's poll as our primary poll. 

You will be able to find the pod at https://www.facebook.com/SWVASportsPod/ once it drops. I'll also let everyone know when that day will be. 

If you need the new regions, you can find those teams here: http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-final-24-region-alignment-plan1.pdf

Preseason

1. Richlands

2. Union

3. Graham

4. Giles

5. Galax

6. George Wythe

7. Central

8. Lee

9. Gate City

10. J.I. Burton

I don't give a damn how bad Gate City is. But there's no way a person should rank J.I. Burton, Chilhowie, and Lee in front of them. That's just flippin silly. Hell, Lee hasn't beat GC since 1998, that's even with the 4-6 season of 06, and the 2-8 season of 2015. JIB is trash, have been since they joined the Cumberland. Chilhowie made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, now they're top 10 preseason worthy? My goodness. I believe it should be a top 5 list only if we are gonna put pitiful programs in there such as those. 

3 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Chilhowie made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, now they're top 10 preseason worthy?

Who would someone without bias rank higher, a team that won nine games last season, got to the second round of playoffs, and was noted for having one of the youngest teams in the state, or a team that posted a losing record, lost in the first round of playoffs, and has embarrassed themselves in 7-on-7s thus far? I do think that Gate City will be a solid group this year, but until they prove it, why would any one give them credit for being something more than they've demonstrated being?

1. Union

2. Graham

3. Richlands 

4. Giles

5. Bluefield

6. Galax 

7. George Wythe 

8. Abington

9. Gate City

10. Lee

** talent wise I'd put Pulaski County in the top 5, but it looks like everyone else was leaving them off and I'm completely cool with that 

30 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Who would someone without bias rank higher, a team that won nine games last season, got to the second round of playoffs, and was noted for having one of the youngest teams in the state, or a team that posted a losing record, lost in the first round of playoffs, and has embarrassed themselves in 7-on-7s thus far? I do think that Gate City will be a solid group this year, but until they prove it, why would any one give them credit for being something more than they've demonstrated being?

Ah the classic "but you suck at 7 on 7" debate. Sorry, but you can 7 on 7 until the cows come home, but it doesn't translate into real 11 vs 11 football. 7 on 7: you know it's a pass play, big whoop. Without those other 5 guys blocking or rushing, how does one what a team really has? Some teams that dominate in 7 on 7 have very good linemen and they throw a lot and it seems like their success carries over (Richlands) they're just good all the way around.  But 7 on 7 does not translate to gameday success. It just helps wideouts and QBs get aquatinted with each other. 

As far as Chilhowie goes, last season they beat JIB, Twin Springs, Tazewell, Northwood, Va High, Rural Retreat, Patrick Henry (I'll give em that one maybe, but wasn't Hump hurt?), Holston, and Castlewood. 

That's a very watered down schedule. A 9-3 record looks good on paper, until you look into it and realize they played very weak opponents. (Expect for the ones they lost to) All I am doing, is stating facts. Not sorry if I offended anyone. 

14 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I don't give a damn how bad Gate City is. But there's no way a person should rank J.I. Burton, Chilhowie, and Lee in front of them. That's just flippin silly. Hell, Lee hasn't beat GC since 1998, that's even with the 4-6 season of 06, and the 2-8 season of 2015. JIB is trash, have been since they joined the Cumberland. Chilhowie made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, now they're top 10 preseason worthy? My goodness. I believe it should be a top 5 list only if we are gonna put pitiful programs in there such as those. 

Why don't you tell us how you really feel...

I will refrain from a top 10 list for the time being.  Seems like a lot of uncertainty around the George Wythe and Galax programs right now.  In talking to an assistant coach last night, both programs have apparently seen several returning players quit football and athletics as a whole.  I know this has been an issue for Galax for a year now.  I'm not certain what is going on but have heard a litany of rumors.  Nothing I feel safe in sharing at this time, though.  

If the roster Galax posted on the district website yesterday is any indication, Galax has lost several starters and key contributors from last years team.  Also, 16 of the 26 players on that roster have never seen varsity action with 10 of them being freshmen and sophomores. 

But, it's still July, things may change in a few weeks.  And like other "big news" coming out of Galax in recent months, it could all be bullshit anyway!

I think we need a class A and Class B poll.

Class A teams IMO.

Princeton
Bluefield
Richlands
Tazewell
Graham
Pulaski County
Gate City
Lee
Union
Abingdon
Giles
Pikeview
Virginia High
Carroll County
Central
Fort Chiswell
Marion
Lebanon
Patrick Henry
John Battle
Grayson County
Radford
Ridgeview

Class B

Thomas Walker
Montcalm
River View
Mount View
James Monroe
George Wythe
Eastside
J. I. Burton
Grundy
Twin Valley
Hurley
Twin Springs
Rye Cove
Castlewood
Honaker
Chilhowie
Rural Retreat
Holston
Galax
Northwood
Narrows
Bland County

I did this list out of my head with what I think are about correct enrollment numbers. If you disagree
please state why because I may be wrong. If I left anyone off my apologies. Also, there isn't much point
in the poll if you are leaving off West Virginia teams intentionally.

I left off James Monroe because they lost so much from last years team. I left off Princeton because of the coaching turnover and the fact that they haven't been as strong recently. And I left our Bluefield because I don't see them as more than a 6-4 team this season.  Could be wrong, but that's just how I see it. 

Also, if you were doing a class A and B, technically, Princeton, Abingdon, Pulaski, and Carroll are higher classes than any of the other schools on your first group. Lol. 

12 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Ah the classic "but you suck at 7 on 7" debate. Sorry, but you can 7 on 7 until the cows come home, but it doesn't translate into real 11 vs 11 football. 7 on 7: you know it's a pass play, big whoop. Without those other 5 guys blocking or rushing, how does one what a team really has? Some teams that dominate in 7 on 7 have very good linemen and they throw a lot and it seems like their success carries over (Richlands) they're just good all the way around.  But 7 on 7 does not translate to gameday success. It just helps wideouts and QBs get aquatinted with each other. 

As far as Chilhowie goes, last season they beat JIB, Twin Springs, Tazewell, Northwood, Va High, Rural Retreat, Patrick Henry (I'll give em that one maybe, but wasn't Hump hurt?), Holston, and Castlewood. 

That's a very watered down schedule. A 9-3 record looks good on paper, until you look into it and realize they played very weak opponents. (Expect for the ones they lost to) All I am doing, is stating facts. Not sorry if I offended anyone. 

I will be the first to say I'm not a Chilhowie fan, but you are looking at their schedule calling it very watered down.  Are you taking into consideration that they are 1a and played 3 2a schools?  I know it's not a powerhouse schedule, but 9-3 for a team that was comprised of mostly juniors and sophomores that's not bad.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I left off James Monroe because they lost so much from last years team. I left off Princeton because of the coaching turnover and the fact that they haven't been as strong recently. And I left our Bluefield because I don't see them as more than a 6-4 team this season.  Could be wrong, but that's just how I see it. 

Also, if you were doing a class A and B, technically, Princeton, Abingdon, Pulaski, and Carroll are higher classes than any of the other schools on your first group. Lol. 

James Monroe, Bluefield and Princeton sill beat half the teams on your list IMO. And yes those four teams "belong" in a higher class by enrollment but I was just trying to give the smaller teams a chance.

Before Lee worries about Gate City they need to figure out how to make until the eighth week healthy. Their end of season schedule is tough. I don't see five for sure wins in the entire schedule.

16 hours ago, mw0729 said:

Lee will beat gate city this year.  Lee is big and fast.  But lee won't beat union.  It's in their head too much.  Jus sayn!

Thanks for making me laugh today.

18 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

My rankings are based on how far each team made it last season more or less.  It's how the pros would do it, so that's how I did it.

22 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

James Monroe, Bluefield and Princeton sill beat half the teams on your list IMO. And yes those four teams "belong" in a higher class by enrollment but I was just trying to give the smaller teams a chance.

I don't know anything about the West Virginia schools other than when I watched Bluefield smack around Gate City at Legion Field a few years ago and Tug Valley beat Haysi in their final season.  I know Bluefield is traditionally a powerhouse, but other than that, that's really all I know, so not biased against the West Virginia schools, just don't know anything about them.