Summer expectations. Is this legal?

southbound

Can coaches hold playing time over your head for not participating in summer workouts? Some of my friends were talking about workouts and how they were expected to be there all summer! I ask my dad and he said you could tryout when football started and there was nothing they could do to you. Some people have jobs and a life outside of school and should not be penalized for not going to summer workouts. Can coaches require you to be there in the summer? Is this legal? :confused:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can coaches hold playing time over your head for not participating in summer workouts? Some of my friends were talking about workouts and how they were expected to be there all summer! I ask my dad and he said you could tryout when football started and there was nothing they could do to you. Some people have jobs and a life outside of school and should not be penalized for not going to summer workouts. Can coaches require you to be there in the summer? Is this legal? :confused:

no the big bad coaches cant do that...it cuts in on daddy's wine and cheese time.

This ain't the NFL with optional workouts. Coaches have the right to expect their players to put in the time needed in the summer to get ready. Do most players who are really committed and have jobs or family vacation plans find a way to meet the coaches expectations? Absolutely.

If you come out at the start of practice, the lack of conditioning and strength training will take care of penalizing you.

In short I don't think they have ever been able to make summer workouts a requirement but the long answer would be of course the coaches are going to play the guys who were out all summer before the guys who weren't. They are more familiar with th guys out during the summer and know they are more likely to stick with it during the fall

I dont think its an official policy but thats pretty much how every team that has a large turnout players runs things.

Most coaches will make exceptions for work but not for the beach house lol

This question is what most of us perceive as the Abingdon attitude, from the parents to the fans and players. They have a feeling of entitlement. The players who put in the extra effort are the players who should be considered first in line to play. They should be rewarded for their dedication and loyalty to their teammates and coaches. Those who want to go to the beach all summer and not put in the work should expect to be at a disadvantage. I would bet that any player who does not participate in summer workouts at most other schools would not even make the team unless there was a very good excuse.

Edited by blueinbama

Your dad is correct. You can just tryout when football starts and there is nothing they can do to you. No penalizing you for not being there during summer workouts. However, the coach can, and usually does, reward players who have been dedicated and committed to the team during summer workouts with starting positions come game time. No penalties...just rewards.

You Are Correct A Coach Can Not Require You To Take Part In Summer Workout And You Can Show Up The 1st 2 a day and there is nothing they can do about it. Odds are though if the Abingdon 2 a days are anything like the Richlands ones you wont make it past the afternoon practice.

nope but they don't have to play people that don't attend either......if you play football, summer workouts are a part of it.....period....if someone doesn't want to attend, they don't have to......and if they don't want to go, how bad do they really wanna play?????

I will respond to your sentences with some of my own:

1. Yes.

2. Man up and do the work.

3. Good for you.

4. Priorities, son.

5. Yes.

6. Yes.

With all the camps, weight training, and 7 on 7s that are available today any player should be able to make it to some if not all. Most schools do the w/t early before the day gets going or late when most would be off of work. 7s and camp are usually during business hours.

With HS players there is a lot competing for their time, video games, social networking sites, atv's, everyone seems to have a car, girls of course, family vacation, summer jobs, and if they are from a smaller school the other sports offer camps and off season training as well. This is a good lesson in scheduling for the parents and the dedicated kid to set down and work it if football or any other sport is what they want to succeed at.

A coach can't penalize you for not being their but the previous post sum that up well. It's kinda like listening to an NFL reporter talking about Billy Bob showing up to camp out of shape. The coach can tell and it will show at first. Now the kid might work his behind off and crack the starting 11 but that may be half way through the season.

The chemistry developed among the players is worth as much as the conditioning in my opinion. Work now so you will still be playing in December. I guess the question is how bad do you want it?

I'm sure it's just strongly recommended that the kids attend. I doubt very seriously that any coach told any kid that they won't play, if they don't work out in the off season.... I'll give you a for instance...check out http://www.cougarfootball.net and read the message from coach Jones about summer workouts. This is pretty typical.

Note the wording...."highly encouraged" to attend.

I'm sure it's just strongly recommended that the kids attend. I doubt very seriously that any coach told any kid that they won't play, if they don't work out in the off season.... I'll give you a for instance...check out http://www.cougarfootball.net and read the message from coach Jones about summer workouts. This is pretty typical.

Note the wording...."highly encouraged" to attend.

If I were a kid trying out for Pulaski football, I would take "highly recommended" as meaning it is expected. No coach is going to turn anyone away because they don't work out in the summer, but any coach is going to give credit to those who do make the extra effort to get better and put in the time and dedication to the team to help make the team better.

Taking a summer psychology class (parents choice), but we've had discussions about daddies and mommies living thru their kids. Examples: Mommy put sissy in beauty pagents because mommy was a fat arse in school; daddy pumps all efforts in junior in sports because daddy was unathletic in school. Some of you jokers fit that category (including the pagents), meaning you think that football is the only thing important.

Really? Is that where we've come, sports is that important? My hat goes off to my fellow Falcon Parents for letting their kids have a say if they want to go to summer workouts. Southy, your dad is good guy (alot cooler than mine). Some of you guys on here need to take some parent lessons from Southy's dad and let your kids be kids!

Taking a summer psychology class (parents choice), but we've had discussions about daddies and mommies living thru their kids. Examples: Mommy put sissy in beauty pagents because mommy was a fat arse in school; daddy pumps all efforts in junior in sports because daddy was unathletic in school. Some of you jokers fit that category (including the pagents), meaning you think that football is the only thing important.

Really? Is that where we've come, sports is that important? My hat goes off to my fellow Falcon Parents for letting their kids have a say if they want to go to summer workouts. Southy, your dad is good guy (alot cooler than mine). Some of you guys on here need to take some parent lessons from Southy's dad and let your kids be kids!

Are you letting your kids be kids or losers? If your kid gets spread too thin in their endeavors, that's fine. The more involvement, the better. But no kid should expect to receive the same treatment from coaches throughout the season if they didn't put in the same amount of work in camps and summer workouts as their fellow player. No parent should lead their kid to expect that. If you're going to spread yourself thin and take on other activities outside of sports you should be willing to pay the price for your absences.

The only people who i would be ok with for missing the summer workouts/tw0-a-days, would be a transfer students, or for first time players, for example a sophomore who decided to try out when school started. Otherwise, show up to work or dont play.

To some people football is everything. It's your own choice on what you decide is most important to you. Yes sometimes parents try to put their kids through the things they didn't do. I didn't play sports in school. Would I want my kids to play when they get older? Sure but that is still going to be their choice. Whatever they decide to do though they will have to understand that don't expect things to be give to you.

If you want to excel in football and be the best that you can be then you need to be there for every practice, workout, training exercise there is. Cause if you aren't the kid next to you will be and they will get the starting nod.

Thanks for your support falcon man! Wow, I did not how serious everyone would be about summer workouts. I am thinking about attending a summer workout next week. We have been swimming in the lake all summer and I personally think that is better for you than lifting. It gives you a total body workout. My forearms and legs are in great shape due to all the water skiing. I will let you guys know how lifting goes next week.

My kids have been in the weight room since they entered middle school (their choice) I have ask them to go to the beach and other places during the summer and they relpy Dad we want to lift weights during the summer and get ready for football.do i let my kids be kids? yes. they swim,go to movies,go to dollywood,camping on the weekends but if the weight room is open thats where they can be found. do i agree with it?yes..why you may ask? because i know what is out there in the world to get into things alot worse that spending your time in a weight room. my oldest is attending a very good college and is going to play ball for them,he finished high school with a 4.3 GPA so i dont think lifting weights in the summer hurt him. my other son has a few year left in high school and he has a GPA of 3.7 dont think its hurt him either..I am very proud of the young men they have become....Like i said in my other post if you want playing time you best be in the weight room and whatever else the coach has going on..

Edited by cmd4life

I am going to answer this without reading any other replies fiirst. If you are going to play football then you should be expected to go to summer workouts. If you are going to do something then give it 100%. To answer your remark about having a job and a life it sounds to me like football is not for you. If you want to play football then that should be your life and your job.

Every high school sport works out year round to some extent or another; football players weight lift/run, basketball players have open gym/run, baseball players run/lift. Thats just the way it is.

Summer workouts dont guarantee success, they prevent butt whoopings! If Abingdon wants to keep from getting their rears kicked in the fall then they better put in the work during the Winter, Spring and Summer.

I would also like to acknowledge the players from Abingdon that are working out this summer. Nothing worth having comes easy

Edited by redtiger

My kids have been in the weight room since they entered middle school (their choice) I have ask them to go to the beach and other places during the summer and they relpy Dad we want to lift weights during the summer and get ready for football.do i let my kids be kids? yes. they swim,go to movies,go to dollywood,camping on the weekends but if the weight room is open thats where they can be found. do i agree with it?yes..why you may ask? because i know what is out there in the world to get into things alot worse that spending your time in a weight room. my oldest is attending a very good college and is going to play ball for them,he finished high school with a 4.3 GPA so i dont think lifting weights in the summer hurt him. my other son has a few year left in high school and he has a GPA of 3.7 dont think its hurt him either..I am very proud of the young men they have become....Like i said in my other post if you want playing time you best be in the weight room and whatever else the coach has going on..

Excellent post. In the adult world you have to work hard and do a bit more than required to reap reward. Let this be an early lesson for these kids. If you are going to skip summer work,don't be crying from the pine in the fall. Coaches want to see what their kids are made of,test their mettle to see what character they bring to the gridiron on Friday nights

I think thats sort of the issue; are 14 - 18 year olds kids or young adult? IMO they are young adults, they need to take on some responsibility and learn that you have to work for what you want. Thats the point of HS sports; develop into adults, learn something about life(success, failure, etc) and in the process become a better person.

I consider my time playing football some of the best times of my life(so far), its a privilage to play. IMO if your not willing to work at least 6 hours a week in the off season to make yourself and your team better then you dont deserve the privilage. You havent earned it

Honestly I enjoyed lifting almost as much as playing ball.