Scrimmages/Benefits/Jamborees

coachm

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Battle's scrimmage today with JI Burton was a bit hard to watch. Neither team seemed to dominate the other, but looks like Battle really needs to work on the line and defense, as many predicted. I think by the time the district games roll around, we'll be tough, but right now "we need a lot of work" (last part was Coach Wright's actual words heading to the locker room). Also, #28 Seth Leonard broke his leg carrying the ball on one play. Looked pretty serious and he had to have surgery. Then, not long after that, it looked like someone in the stands may have overheated and the ambulance was called in again. Just not a good way to start out IMO. Hopefully things will be a lot more upbeat for the benefit game at Fort Chiswell next week.

Pulled from VaPreps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belfry: (Class 3A) school from Kentucky was the best team at Ernie Hicks. Their starters beat Richlands starters 2 TD's to nothing. Richlands did have success moving the ball though and the scrimmage was 10 plays of O, then the other team went on 10 plays of O. Richlands would have likely been more successful in a real game if first downs are counted because they would have certainly got more than 10 plays. Belfry has lost the last 3 state title games in Kentucky (runners up in 2010, 2011 and 2012). The losses in 2011 and 2012 were to Central High, and in 2011, they lost by 1 point in the final 2 minutes, and last year, they lost to them in OT in the state title game. They've played in 9 state championship games and they've won 2 of them. Since 2004, they've played for 6 state championships so we aren't talking about an average joe here. Belfry is an absolute powerhouse and an enrollment of 800 grades 9 through 12, slightly larger than Richlands.

Marion: The Scarlet Hurricane and the relatively new Head Coach have turned this program around. They lost a bunch of nailbiters to very good teams last year. This year it will be different. For the first time since the 1980's, Marion is the real deal. They are without question, a playoff team and maybe a team that can past 1 win an out. They tied Belfry's starters 2 TD's to 2, but again, Belfry moved the ball and may have had more success in a real game because they wouldn't have been restricted to 10 plays because they would have got first downs. However, Marion's ability to pass the ball is solid and the QB for Marion is the real deal. This kid has been under the radar on the recruiting sites I am sure. They need to recognize him. He can play at the college level.

Richlands: Aside from the TD battle or TD scores, Richlands was the second best team in the scrimmage behind Belfry. Richlands has a nasty offensive line and running backs and the QB is solid. Few teams, if any in SWVA are going to be able to stop them from powering the football. I know Mance loves to throw it, but their line is incredible.

George Wythe: Belfry chewed them up pretty good, but there is one positive for this Maroons team. Their JV was hands down the best team there. The future is incredibly bright for GW and playing D1, it will be bright this year. All 4 teams were very, very good football teams.

Conclusion: You will hear the classic response in this thread that we always hear about scrimmages and someone will muddy the water with the old (our starters wasn't in on that TD) or we actually had lots of JV players in on the one TD, and the score was really 3-2, or 2-1, or 2-2, etc. You know that's coming somewhere in this thread folks, so in order to prevent the water from getting to muddied, let me give the true take away point from the scrimmage...

1. Belfry-best team there and a state title contender if not winner in 2013 in Kentucky's 3A.

2. Richlands- second best team there and if they don't turn over and don't get burned with big plays, they are state championship appearance worthy. If you can run and nobody can stop you and you don't turn over, you can win or at least go to title games. Ask Richlands about Puquoson, or Gretna against Gate City a couple of years ago, or Clintwood a couple of years ago. Richlands is the real deal and has another solid team.

3. Marion-by far, the best Marion team I've seen in 25 years. I've not seen Marion play every year for the past 25 years. I've seen them on an off, but from my eyes, the best Marion team in a quarter of a century, or at least the best one since they gave Pulaski County a run for their money in the region finals in 2000 or 2001.

4. George Wythe-solid. I don't think they are quite as good yet as the state title teams, but they are very talented, yet very young. I think GW can make it to the state semi's this year, but that's as far as they go. They are one year away from another state title in my opinion.

This post was edited on 8/16 10:42 PM by oneforthehokies

Life has many choices---eternity two

Very good summary of the scrimmage at Richlands tbgfan !

I would agree with everything you stated. Belfry was the best team there. Richlands had a tough time with their ( Belfry's ) speed and big play ability. Richlands O looked pretty good for the most part, but they don't seem to have the big play guy this year, but with that huge line and the way Colton can run, ( he ran over a few guys ) I believe they have a chance to be pretty good and have a chance to go deep into the playoffs.

The Blues D looked really good at times also, but did give up some big pass plays especially against Belfry, but I like the way they run to the ball and gang tackle and they will also lay a hit on you. They put a lot of pressure on the QB's most of the evening.

Marion was better then I expected. I really like their QB, he has a really good arm and I think they will surprise a few people !

GW will be a good team. They have some players, it will take them a couple of games to get clicking because of all the turnover from last years team, but they do have some talent coming in a year or 2, but I think they could be a good team by the end of the year, but I don't think they will contend for another state this year.

All in all, it was just great to see some high school football, scrimmage or not !

Thank you guys for all the info from the Richlands scrimmage! I was unable to attend. Everything you guys have said has fell in line with what I've assumed about GW this year. We will definitely need a little time to settle in and grow. Playing against Richlands, Belfry, Marion, Clintwood, and Union will definitely pay off in the long run. Iron sharpens iron, and I always find myself rooting for the preseason opposition. I just hope GW made those teams a little bit better just as they did us heading into opening night.

Be specific, quote which ones amuse you. Trying to understand what your talking about.

He must be talking about Marion, which leads me to think he's either a Falcon or someone from a Hogo school.

1. Belfry-best team there and a state title contender if not winner in 2013 in Kentucky's 3A.

2. Richlands- second best team there and if they don't turn over and don't get burned with big plays, they are state championship appearance worthy. If you can run and nobody can stop you and you don't turn over, you can win or at least go to title games. Ask Richlands about Puquoson, or Gretna against Gate City a couple of years ago, or Clintwood a couple of years ago. Richlands is the real deal and has another solid team.

3. Marion-by far, the best Marion team I've seen in 25 years. I've not seen Marion play every year for the past 25 years. I've seen them on an off, but from my eyes, the best Marion team in a quarter of a century, or at least the best one since they gave Pulaski County a run for their money in the region finals in 2000 or 2001.

4. George Wythe-solid. I don't think they are quite as good yet as the state title teams, but they are very talented, yet very young. I think GW can make it to the state semi's this year, but that's as far as they go. They are one year away from another state title in my opinion.

:42 PM by oneforthehokiesLife has many choices---eternity two

Richlands-state title worthy?!....GW state semi appearance?!---This is what I meant. Just think its a little early for playoff predictions considering were are still a week and half from week 1! And no i'm not a Falcon fan @2dalejrfanz haha.

Richlands-state title worthy?!....GW state semi appearance?!---This is what I meant. Just think its a little early for playoff predictions considering were are still a week and half from week 1! And no i'm not a Falcon fan @2dalejrfanz haha.

So their opinion isn't worth any merit? I mean, everyone has an opinion, and no one is "right". But to say someones opinion is "laughable"??

So their opinion isn't worth any merit? I mean, everyone has an opinion, and no one is "right". But to say someones opinion is "laughable"??

Yeah everyone is entitled to their opinion and I agree no one is right, not even me. My "laughable" comment is my opinion just the same as their predictions being their opinion. I don't see the big deal?!

I think the opinion that VT will beat Bama is laughable.

I think Gunz was hitting on the fact that several teams are getting excessive hype by scoring once or twice in controlled scrimmages. Team A beats Team B by a TD? Team A looks solid and is primed for a deep playoff run. The vast majority of comments I see in this thread are bullish about pretty much every team that has competed in a scrimmage. For every stellar team, there is one that isn't.