Numbers

coachm

Starting dates do not matter.

All teams will have the same number of practices before their fist scrimmage.

Some coaches had their teams start back on Thursday but they will do fewer 2 a days than the teams that went back on Monday.

The numbers on the 2 teams I have seen so are Northside with 90-95 and Cave Spring with 45-50. 

Grundy had a couple of injuries or freak accidents, whatever you want to call it the first day...lost 2 or 3 kids that should be back ...and a few more that should be out soon that couldnt make it to the first few days for various reasons. I figure they should end up with around 25-30?

went to Honaker yesterday for Media day...they had kids lined up from the goal line past the 50 yard line taking pics...and about 20+ SR's....some good sized kids. They should be good.

This is a little off track but with the talk of school size it seems appropriate. Several years ago when JIB was REALLY good i went and watched them play JJK, well we bailed at half (It was an oldfashioned cow tromping) and went down to BSG to watch Richlands come from behind to beat PV, anyway JIB had about 50 players, 50 band members, 15 cheerleaders and a full volleyball team(Im guessing 12-15 players). Thats right at 130(probably just under 50% of the schools enrollment at the time) involved in something during the fall. VERY impressive, its hard for me to understand how big schools just cant get kids involved in something.

This is a little off track but with the talk of school size it seems appropriate. Several years ago when JIB was REALLY good i went and watched them play JJK, well we bailed at half (It was an oldfashioned cow tromping) and went down to BSG to watch Richlands come from behind to beat PV, anyway JIB had about 50 players, 50 band members, 15 cheerleaders and a full volleyball team(Im guessing 12-15 players). Thats right at 130(probably just under 50% of the schools enrollment at the time) involved in something during the fall. VERY impressive, its hard for me to understand how big schools just cant get kids involved in something.

This was Graham in my day, also.  110 in the band, 60 in football, a full varsity + JV cheerleading squad, a full varsity + JV volleyball squad, and the county scholastic competitions.  

At one point, Graham and Richlands had the highest two (band members / school enrollment) ratio in Virginia.  I know that for a fact.

The Graham band of today pales in comparison to the Big G Marching Bands of yesteryear.  Also, the last time I saw Richlands' band, they had but a fraction of members that they used to have.

The Graham band of today pales in comparison to the Big G Marching Bands of yesteryear. Also, the last time I saw Richlands' band, they had but a fraction of members that they used to have.

Both Graham's and Richlands's bands are shells of their former selves. Graham's, because the transition from Mike Brown was bungled by literally every person involved with it. Richlands's, because of Swartz.

Even as a G-Man, the Richlands situation is more heartbreaking. That was a Top-10 marching band in this entire state in its heyday. Just heartbreaking.

Both Graham's and Richlands's bands are shells of their former selves. Graham's, because the transition from Mike Brown was bungled by literally every person involved with it. Richlands's, because of Swartz.

Even as a G-Man, the Richlands situation is more heartbreaking. That was a Top-10 marching band in this entire state in its heyday. Just heartbreaking.

Both bands made the atmosphere more like a small college game than high school. Now, not so much...

I'm not sure of Burton's band numbers now. Their director of almost 30 years has retired. May not have affected them too much.

Richlands though, had a very sad situation with how they turned out now. It's sad how participation has gone down in a lot of school activities.