Mance matches Hicks victory total*

RichlandsAlum

With Friday's win over Bluefield, Greg Mance appears to have tied Ernie Hicks as the all-time leader in head coaching victories at Richlands*.

* My records show Mance with a current record of 167-59.  No "official" record of all-time wins exists for Richlands, but a General Assembly resolution honoring Coach Hicks listed his record as 167-124-24 (I have the Master of the Clinch at 167-126-26, but I strongly suspect that I'm missing about a dozen results in my database).

Beyond the issue of win totals, Mance's winning percentage of .739 places him far and above any other coach in RHS history who has led the Blues for more than one season (although there are only six gentlemen who hold that particular distinction).

Consider yourselves trivially informed.  ;-)

Too much talent out wide to run that type of offense. When you have as many WR as we do, you go spread.

But he has always been a spread guy right? I know you guys always have talent but not the talent I guess you have this year out wide from hearing everyone talk

I'm not saying he should even run SW plays but in years past couldn't you have put a play or two in to confuse the defense once in a while

But he has always been a spread guy right? I know you guys always have talent but not the talent I guess you have this year out wide from hearing everyone talk

I'm not saying he should even run SW plays but in years past couldn't you have put a play or two in to confuse the defense once in a while

Mance really got with the spread in '05 with McCrackin but did experiment with it before hand. We (01-04) ran multiple offensive sets including spreading things out. Before that, huge lines and some workhorses in the backfield (Mabe, Brown, Davis, etc.) kept it pretty much a running attack. 

And on another note, to people who say that this board doesn't mean much.... It's funny that the day after RichlandsAlum posts about Mance's record on here there is a story in the BDT about it...

Mance loves the challenge! At Giles he was a competitor and hated to lose at anything. You spend some time with him and it won't take you long to find out how motivated he is in life period. He is gifted in many ways and fiercily loyal. All you have to do is look at his staff. He has kept this coaching staff together for many years and that is a huge factor in our continued success over the years. They believe in him and are personally selfless. That is not an easy thing to accomplish.

I believe the spread is just something that greatly motivates him because of all the options to throw at his opponents. Mayor is right about 2005. That's when it really changed here. He gets the best out of our players like few can. He does have a gift and it is reflected in our program.

I don't think he will ever go back to the single wing but you never know. He will have it in his blood because Giles bred it into him. I personally hope he stays with the spread. We pass more this season because of our talent at WR but if we have the right backs we will run a little more but still out of the spread primarily.

And on another note, to people who say that this board doesn't mean much.... It's funny that the day after RichlandsAlum posts about Mance's record on here there is a story in the BDT about it...

Hmmm....  Now trying to think of a catchy thread title for a post that I can use to manipulate the stock market.

Could be that he would have been a really good high school QB if not for that offense he was made to run. My guess is he wouldn't want that to happen to any of his players. Giles has had some great tailbacks but tell me one that played at the next level?????? Hard to teach a 18 yr old kid how to receive a handoff. Colleges don't have time to teach something a kid should know how to do in pee wee ball. My hats off to Coach Mance for giving his players the chance to move on.

Could be that he would have been a really good high school QB if not for that offense he was made to run. My guess is he wouldn't want that to happen to any of his players. Giles has had some great tailbacks but tell me one that played at the next level?????? Hard to teach a 18 yr old kid how to receive a handoff. Colleges don't have time to teach something a kid should know how to do in pee wee ball. My hats off to Coach Mance for giving his players the chance to move on.

No doubt we have had some damn good tailbacks over the years but the fact that we have ran the single wing since 1978 these kids were all brought up running it from the time they was in 4th grade so it's all we knew until we got out of school....and back in that time every team ran, nobody had ever heard of the spread it was all running teams for the most part. And I think it gives us a huge advantage come playoff time especially against schools that have never seen it before.....4 days of practice for the SW is very very hard to get ready for especially when you have to depend on 16-17 yr old kids to execute the game plan you put in to perfection.

No we haven't had a big number of players at the next level but look at Salem....as good as they have been over the last many years they haven't had a ton of D1 players either....granted they have had some but not as many as you would think from such a great program

I do agree with you on one thing.....He would have been one heck of a HS QB no doubt about it

I disagree with you on one thing....He was not "made to run" the single wing....he choose to run the single wing because the High School he attended happened to run it

I do agree with you on one thing.....He would have been one heck of a HS QB no doubt about it

I disagree with you on one thing....He was not "made to run" the single wing....he choose to run the single wing because the High School he attended happened to run it

Yes he would have been a great QB!!!!!!

If my memory serves me correctly, we ran a version of the SW a few years ago in a week 1 win against Gate City when Devon Johnson was at Richlands. I also remember a couple packages similar to the single wing with Zeke Vance carrying the ball. While not the Giles unbalanced line single wing, he has used some of the elements. In some circles, many consider the single wing a precursor to the read option spread with the shotgun snap and dual threat qb. I'd say he has taken what he's been taught, and made it better and tailored to his personnel.

Another article with major mistakes from the BDT....

Timmy Brown's last year at quarterback was '03. Thad Wells was the quartback in '04.

And the '05 team lost to Turner Ashby, not Magna Vista.

Is it really that hard to do a little bit of research?