Richlands @ Appomattox

old_school_blue

500-750 seats on the visiting side WOW....guess I either get there really early or someone better save me a seat LOL

Also heard they have no hill or anything to stand on.

I may have to sit on the Appomattox side since they have more seating....hope that's ok with the Richlands people LOL...cause I want to be able to see the game

Nope. No hill. Just the fence. And it was packed when I went to the Amherst game with them. Gonna be interesting to see how everyone fits in there.

I agree, this is going to be a good game. Richlands offense has so many weapons they are difficult to contain, especially with their O-line.

Richlands D gets overlooked, but Wade is a beast and Holmes is a play-maker. I think they can contain the run, and the pass game comes down to time in the pocket and pass coverage.

This game comes down to Richlands offense and Appomattox defense.

Game-wise, Appomattox will present much the same as Buckingham -- just a few degrees better.  If the Blues find themselves in a hole, it will be very difficult to climb out this time.  And turnovers will be absolutely deadly.

As for the intangibles....  With few exceptions, it appears that very few stadiums in this area were built with the idea that anyone would actually show up to watch the games.  For Richlands fans who are old enough to remember the Big Creek series, the Appomattox field is very similar to what we experienced over in War -- except Big Creek had much better capacity. 

Other than the game....  If you're a history buff and you've never been, the Court House national park and the Museum of the Confederacy are probably worth the time.  (The parlor of the McLean house is particularly powerful, IMO.)  Otherwise, there just isn't much in Appomattox at all.  It's worth noting that Lee was actually trying to make it to Lynchburg when he got stuck there.

Does Appomattox pass the ball more than Buckingham? Are they more of a running team or passing team?

They do throw the ball more than Buckingham.  I'd guess they average somewhere in the neighborhood of about 15 passing attempts per game, and they are very efficient when they complete those.

I believe you boys are underestimating the Richlands defense. Even you Richlands guys. I've been to 4 Richlands games this year(I'm not a blues fan just a great team to watch) and that defense will smack you in the mouth. Wade is a monster at linebacker and Holmes might be one of the best defensive lineman I've ever seen and especially to be his size doing work in the trenches. This D held Buckingham a team that averaged about 46-48 points a game to just 14.

I believe you boys are underestimating the Richlands defense. Even you Richlands guys. I've been to 4 Richlands games this year(I'm not a blues fan just a great team to watch) and that defense will smack you in the mouth. Wade is a monster at linebacker and Holmes might be one of the best defensive lineman I've ever seen and especially to be his size doing work in the trenches. This D held Buckingham a team that averaged about 46-48 points a game to just 14.

Buckingham scored 20

Richlands defense is deceiving, what they lack in size they make up for in sheer strength. Wade is just fun to watch and Holmes has a built in GPS for the football. Love watching him in the backfield.

John-Luke and Blankenship, along with our Arsenal of receivers make up one of the best offenses Richlands has had in a long time. I know Appo is gonna be tough, but can't wait for Saturday

Richlands gift wrapped 2 TD's Friday night. I still don't know what they were thinking when they didn't cover that kickoff. I can guarantee Mance won't let that happen again though. Teams out that way don't like to get hit in the mouth, so lay the wood to 'em!

Just wondering if anyone knows if appo changes on defense and offense. One of Richlands biggest strengths this year has been being able switch out on offense and defense

They substitute a little. They also have some guys that only play one way, much like us.

After watching the Appo/Amherst and Appo/Lee games on youtube a couple things stood out to me.

Appo has tons of speed

They're aggressive on defense

They blocked a punt in both games

Outside of the speed, their offense is not overly impressive

Their defensive line is weak

QB is just OK. Made some nice throws, but also made some terrible ones.

If Richlands chooses to do so they will be able to run up the middle all day. This game is going to come down to Richlands' receivers vs Appo's DB's, and their ability to contain Appo's speed.

After watching the Appo/Amherst and Appo/Lee games on youtube a couple things stood out to me.

Appo has tons of speed

They're aggressive on defense

They blocked a punt in both games

Outside of the speed, their offense is not overly impressive

Their defensive line is weak

QB is just OK. Made some nice throws, but also made some terrible ones.

If Richlands chooses to do so they will be able to run up the middle all day. This game is going to come down to Richlands' receivers vs Appo's DB's, and their ability to contain Appo's speed.

I got the EXACT same things from watching the Amherst game live and on tape and then the Lee game. Also, Lee was getting consistent penetration on defense until they got wore down in the late 2nd quarter. I think Richlands can exploit this.

I got the EXACT same things from watching the Amherst game live and on tape and then the Lee game. Also, Lee was getting consistent penetration on defense until they got wore down in the late 2nd quarter. I think Richlands can exploit this.

If Lee had anything that even remotely resembled a passing game, they could have kept Appo from stacking the box, and the score would have been a lot closer. IMHO. I think Rasnic's longest run against Union was 4 or 5 yards, and that only happened once or twice. He was busting out some crazy yards against Appo in that first quarter.