ROA.TIMES-Blacksburg to employ unusual strategy on kickoffs, punts

trublue

Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Blacksburg to employ unusual strategy on kickoffs, punts By Robert Anderson robert.anderson@roanoke.com

excerpt:

Thad Wells enters his second season as Blacksburg’s head coach espousing a radical philosophy.

Wells pledges that Blacksburg will not punt on fourth down in most circumstances and that the Bruins will attempt an onside kick on almost every kickoff.

Say what?

I saw an article about a coach somewhere that was doing this, he said statistically it pays off. And that was just statistics from your average team, teams that specialized in onside kicks and going for it on 4th should be even more successful. Against good, consistent, run heavy teams I would be more willing to kick it

So, basically his strategy is the "All I need to do is pick up 3 yards a play and I don't have to punt" That, and I'm sure he is hoping to recover 50% of his onside kicks.  This strategy if they utilize it to me screams "NOT VERY GOOD ON DEFENSE"  "POOR SPECIAL TEAMS PLAY".  Anyone I've ever seen employ a gimmick strategy has something to hide that they are trying to compensate for.  I let you all know what it looks like when Abingdon plays Blacksburg in a few weeks.

So with some of this logic I'm reading is statistically its a sound concept.  Ok I'll give you all that.  Lets say your in a game, the score is 16-14 your team is leading, you have the ball and its 4th and 6 inside your own 15 yard line with 1:30 minutes to go.  What do you do?  I know what I do in that situation.  PUNT!!!!  Play field position and and defense to win.  Now if your some power running juggernaut offense you may try to go for it.  But the percentages are certainly not in your favor.  But each to there own opinion.

Well, if you read it up doesnt say they never punt.  They extremely rarely punt.

"No need to read the actual article, the headline will tell me all I need to know." - Almost everyone on the internet.

Known and played sports with Thad since little league and this doesn't surprise me. He's definitely has guts. 

I feel like anything close to the 50 is 4 down territory. If he means that he'll rarely punt in a situation like that then I understand

I think that's what he's getting at. He also specifically said that if his team is losing he will not punt period.

Finally back on here after a busy crazy summer.  If you look at what Tazewell has done over the past many years, they consistently do the onside kick or variation of it and always said it was playing the numbers game.  Doesn't give time to setup a return so usually can stop them where they catch it.  I have mixed opinions of it myself.

I'd like to see Blacksburg try that with the likes of Richlands, Giles, Graham, and I'll let you know how it works out when they play Abingdon.  If they were to try that against Richlands they'd lose by 100.  They might be able to get away with it on some struggling teams but when you take on juggernaut teams who move the ball and can score in less than a minute and play stout defense, someones in for a long night.  Just my opinion.  

The strategy is actually more effective against quick strike, high scoring teams. The thought is "theyre gonna score anyway, why not try taking a possession away from them?", same concept the Saints used to beat the Colts in the Superbowl. Those slow grinding teams are where you have to be careful with the strategy; you want to make them drive the field and execute a dozen or more plays to score. High powered passing teams like Richlands or Abingdon can score in a handful of plays, doesn't matter if their possession starts from the 10, 35 or 50.  

The strategy is actually more effective against quick strike, high scoring teams. The thought is "theyre gonna score anyway, why not try taking a possession away from them?", same concept the Saints used to beat the Colts in the Superbowl. Those slow grinding teams are where you have to be careful with the strategy; you want to make them drive the field and execute a dozen or more plays to score. High powered passing teams like Richlands or Abingdon can score in a handful of plays, doesn't matter if their possession starts from the 10, 35 or 50.

This.

Teams like Richlands and Abibgdon are a threat to score in 5-8 plays no matter if they start on the +10 or the -10. If you think they are going to score easily, why not try an onside? If you get it, you've stolen a possession. If you don't, you gave them an extra 10 yards or so, but it may not matter anyways. You don't know if it will work until you try. And with the punting against teams like that, same thing. Most of your elite teams have an elite return man. Why kick to him and let him have a chance if you only need 2-4 yards. That's just the way I see it. I like the gutsy move by coach Wells.