Coach Thad Wells

SWVAgridiron

Did coach Wells play for Ernie Hicks, BRHSFan ?

Not quite that old.......lol.

Coach Mance,  passed Coach Ernie Hicks for most wins at Richlands last year,  so in my opinion,  he is the best  (at the very least)  that Richlands has had.  The time that coach Mance has been here has been the best in our football history ( arguably ).  More wins, more playoffs appearances and deeper runs,  with 1 state championship and several state runner up finishes..........again this is my opinion,  but I doubt you will find many........at least in Richlands, that would disagree.  I think many that are not from here would  agree,  even if you hate the blues,  the numbers don't lie.  

I know someone will bring up the transfer thing,  but I bet if your being honest,  most on here would love to have him as their coach.  I just hope we are lucky enough to have him many more years to come.

Coach Mance,  passed Coach Ernie Hicks for most wins at Richlands last year,  so in my opinion,  he is the best  (at the very least)  that Richlands has had.  The time that coach Mance has been here has been the best in our football history ( arguably ).  More wins, more playoffs appearances and deeper runs,  with 1 state championship and several state runner up finishes..........again this is my opinion,  but I doubt you will find many........at least in Richlands, that would disagree.  I think many that are not from here would  agree,  even if you hate the blues,  the numbers don't lie.  

I know someone will bring up the transfer thing,  but I bet if your being honest,  most on here would love to have him as their coach.  I just hope we are lucky enough to have him many more years to come.

There's no doubt that Coach Mance has built a program in which kids and parents like to be a part of.  I know a kid that transferred to Richlands last year from another school within the county.  After seeing the way the coaching staff and parents club(boosters) treat these kids and their parents I can understand a kid wanting to transfer there if they have the means to do so.  Their entire program ranks very high on the list in SWVA.  Unfortunately for the rest of us in the county we have went through some growing pains with different coaches, staff, etc. that probably hasn't helped our cause in keeping kids home so to speak.  We still are losing kids to Richlands at the MS level due to the lack of a decent program.  I personally don't think Mance is the best coach in SWVA.  I'd have to put Dixon and Williams above him.  I can certainly see why kids from across the mountain at RVHS(WV) would want to attend Richlands. Their program, if you want to call it a program, is in the toilet. With that being said I hope Mance settles into his AD position decides that is what he wants to do full time and gives up coaching.  It wouldn't bother me at all to see him hang it up. LOL.  

and it isn't the talent G. 0 for 1 again on recovered onside kicks, Salem 100% on 50 or 55 yard drives.

You can't give Salem field position like that. IMO there is no team West of Roanoke that can handle Salem but from what I hear Blacksburg was giving them a fit early on.

You can't give Salem field position like that. IMO there is no team West of Roanoke that can handle Salem but from what I hear Blacksburg was giving them a fit early on.

Nor can you give it to Giles , Abington, or Hidden Valley.  Bassett and Carroll County yes. Bburg is giving up an average of 46 points in their 4 loses.

I don't agree with his on sides kick policy.   I don't really care what the stats may say over all,  giving good teams field position like that consistently is going to hurt you far more than help.  There may be some teams that you can do that too and it works out,  but against a good team that is well coached that knows you are probably going to do it...........well,  it's just going to hurt more than it helps........IMHO

There is a reason why most top coaches do not use that strategy.........again in my opinion. 

This post is in reference to "oldschoolblue" post (not able to show quote). 

Mr. Oldschoolblue I want to preface my post by thanking you for your work with the Richlands Little League football program.  To take your time to help these children and parents is admirable.  Hats off to you sir. 

I commend you for thinking highly of Coach Wells.  He had a great coach and mentor in Coach Mance and I hope he does well with his tenure at Blacksburg.

I am going to convey my words without malice or anger in your disparaging remarks toward Coach Mance. Please accept them as so.    I  sense this is more of a personal attack on him then the program.  It is hard not to see your bias when he and his staff have brought such  success to the Richlands program. Eleven SWD District Championships, numerous regional titles, semi and state finals, one state championship.  Most of these with kids who have come up through the ranks of the Little League program.   True,  a few players have transferred in that have solidified the program.  I feel your words are  a slap in the face to those players when you say that their coach is "only collecting athletes."   I would not want to be the one to say to Devon, Austin and AJ Johnson, Nick Blankenship, Cody Howie "sorry, just the way it is, no room for you here."  They have always spoken highly of Coach Mance and how he has molded them into good players, good students and good kids off the field.  I can see no shortcoming in that. 

I feel Coach Mance and his staff have nothing to prove to anyone.  Their record speaks for itself. 

The thing with coach Hicks is that he coached EVERYTHING. Basketball, football, baseball and track. Coaches of that time everywhere did that. Their contributions left deeper lifelong effects on the players at the school for that reason. I don't think there is any doubt that coach Mance has been much more successful on the field as Richlands' football coach than coach Hicks was as a football coach. But I think it is safe to say that coach Hicks left a much greater footprint on Richlands simply because he was such as great person and the young men spent so much time with him.

The thing with coach Hicks is that he coached EVERYTHING. Basketball, football, baseball and track. Coaches of that time everywhere did that. Their contributions left deeper lifelong effects on the players at the school for that reason. I don't think there is any doubt that coach Mance has been much more successful on the field as Richlands' football coach than coach Hicks was as a football coach. But I think it is safe to say that coach Hicks left a much greater footprint on Richlands simply because he was such as great person and the young men spent so much time with him.

That is a great point Bluefield and very valid !  He was a wonderful coach,  but an even better Man and mentor !!