Richlands/Graham

Deleted Account

Graham has talent no doubt but Richlands will be to much. Plus the G-Men have a suspect pass D. Richlands by 28.

And thanks for taking the time to give us a place to talk about football.

Graham has an excellent run and pass game and a pretty good run defense.  They have an excellent kicker and are pretty solid on special teams.  Pass defense is the issue, but seemed to be a little better against Tazewell.  I think it could be a high scoring game on both sides.  If Graham can get pressure on the QB, I think Graham wins by a couple of td's.

Tazewell ran the ball better against Graham than Bluefield, but I believe that Tazewell had a better offensive line that gave Harris a little bit of daylight and he took advantage of it with his quickness to get to the hole.  Tazewell's penalties in crucial situations, costly turnovers and lack of overall team speed is what did them in.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tazewell end  up at 6-4, possible playoff birth.... 5-5 may get them in.

Graham has an excellent run and pass game and a pretty good run defense. They have an excellent kicker and are pretty solid on special teams. Pass defense is the issue, but seemed to be a little better against Tazewell. I think it could be a high scoring game on both sides. If Graham can get pressure on the QB, I think Graham wins by a couple of td's.

Tazewell ran the ball better against Graham than Bluefield, but I believe that Tazewell had a better offensive line that gave Harris a little bit of daylight and he took advantage of it with his quickness to get to the hole. Tazewell's penalties in crucial situations, costly turnovers and lack of overall team speed is what did them in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tazewell end up at 6-4, possible playoff birth.... 5-5 may get them in.

Ben Meade looks to me like the perfect fit at QB, and the catalyst for Graham's offense. His passing is adequate to get the ball to his receivers in space, but his running ability allows them to improvise and keep opponents from keying on Cousin.

How is Richlands on stopping the run? All I hear about is the pass attack but nothing about the defense

They did a good job in the preseason and GC. Union went to that power run game and, outside of one sweep to Mitchell, they kept Union out of the end zone. They used a bend, don't break style and it kept Union to just 2 offensive scores in regulation.

I think you'll see a big gate. Graham and Richlands will have big crowds, but teams like Tazewell and Bluefield who don't have games will probably add fans to the mix.

You can also add at least 2 union fans to the list, I'm glad this one was moved up a day early.

Richland's by 2 TDs. Cousin is special but I can't see them winning. But I've been wrong one other time also.

Graham has many more weapons than Cousin. Meade was the main threat against Bluefield and Cooke was he main man against Tazewell. Several others capable of big plays in Allen, Cooper, Reed, Morgan, Chinault and Ballard. Gear up to stop Cousin and Graham can hurt you with several others with big play potential. My concern is on the defensive side of the ball. We will see if they have progressed any in their pass defense. I think that either Richlands in a close one or Graham wins by a couple scores if the pass defense is able to adjust.

With the rearranging of the Richlands offensive line. Adding #72 in will make big change for Richlands this Thursday. Union has a good offense, Richlands only gave up 2 touchdowns on defense all night. Don't sleep on them.

Guys I am not trashing Richland's defense at all because they will get better, but Unions line dominated Friday night. Everyone in the stadium knew they were running the ball and still couldnt slow them down. Take away a fumble inside the 5 and a TD called back and the score would have been worse. The only time the defense looked good was midway thru the 4 the quarter when union got to conservative. If they play like that this week cousin will rush for 250 yards. Not trying to bash them but that's how I seen it.

I believe Cousin ran the ball 9 times against Tazewell. He's got to have the ball in his hands more than that. I think he's been thrown to once this season. Graham's pass defense will certainly be put to the test.

Graham may hold the lead in this series but Richlands has whooped us pretty bad in recent years. If Graham is going to break that streak it's going to be this year. Regardless of who wins I think it will be by a couple of touchdowns.

Guys I am not trashing Richland's defense at all because they will get better, but Unions line dominated Friday night. Everyone in the stadium knew they were running the ball and still couldnt slow them down. Take away a fumble inside the 5 and a TD called back and the score would have been worse. The only time the defense looked good was midway thru the 4 the quarter when union got to conservative. If they play like that this week cousin will rush for 250 yards. Not trying to bash them but that's how I seen it.

Exactly!!! Richlands maybe only gave up 14 points or whatever you guys were saying but it wasn't because the defense!! That defense was took to the woodshed all night!! They were completely gassed at the end of the 1st half. Union shot themselves in the foot to many times inside the scoring area to win the game!! It definitely was not because of the Richlands defense!

Exactly!!! Richlands maybe only gave up 14 points or whatever you guys were saying but it wasn't because the defense!! That defense was took to the woodshed all night!! They were completely gassed at the end of the 1st half. Union shot themselves in the foot to many times inside the scoring area to win the game!! It definitely was not because of the Richlands defense!

Of course richlands doesnt have the athletes on defense they had last yr but union put up 35 on them in regulation last season. They will get better just as they did last yr. So if it wasnt richlands defense that held them to 14 points then please tell me who did and how you think union shot themselves in the foot. Not being an ass just trying to understand your take on it. Cuz the way i seen it richlands was doing all the foot shooting. Seems like when they did make a couple good stops they would have a personal foul. Same on offense. Make a play, personal foul. Richlands had more penalty yardage. Yes union did fumble in the redzone but when the runner is constantly fighting for extra yardage youre eventually gonna get stripped. Just a good play. Seemed union had good field position all night compared to richlands (started inside their 10 at least two times). Like one poster said they bent but didnt break. At this point their running game is more concerning than the defense.

Of course richlands doesnt have the athletes on defense they had last yr but union put up 35 on them in regulation last season. They will get better just as they did last yr. So if it wasnt richlands defense that held them to 14 points then please tell me who did and how you think union shot themselves in the foot. Not being an ass just trying to understand your take on it. Cuz the way i seen it richlands was doing all the foot shooting. Seems like when they did make a couple good stops they would have a personal foul. Same on offense. Make a play, personal foul. Richlands had more penalty yardage. Yes union did fumble in the redzone but when the runner is constantly fighting for extra yardage youre eventually gonna get stripped. Just a good play. Seemed union had good field position all night compared to richlands (started inside their 10 at least two times). Like one poster said they bent but didnt break. At this point their running game is more concerning than the defense.

The fact is richlands got pushed around all night. Teams of the same or better caliber will do the same thing. Richlands will not get by with all the bonehead penalties against a better team.

Well,  I doubt very much that by the time Mance watches the tape and has a little talk to the guys about the personal foul calls you will not see as many as you did Friday night.

The TD that was called back was a good call,  the blocker basically tackled Howie and prevented him from making the tackle which allowed the TD.  

That being said,  the blues do have a lot of work ahead of them. They need to work on their run D,  and I don't know if there is much that can be done about the running game.  They are just going to have to be what they are and throw it all over the field.  How far that's gets them............I guess we will see. 

Well, I doubt very much that by the time Mance watches the tape and has a little talk to the guys about the personal foul calls you will not see as many as you did Friday night.

The TD that was called back was a good call, the blocker basically tackled Howie and prevented him from making the tackle which allowed the TD.

That being said, the blues do have a lot of work ahead of them. They need to work on their run D, and I don't know if there is much that can be done about the running game. They are just going to have to be what they are and throw it all over the field. How far that's gets them............I guess we will see.

That may be the case. Try the ole Packer approach i guess. Just curious though, has there ever been a state champion that anyone can recall that just threw it all over the field without a running game?