graham, union richlands

jarhead24219

According to VHSL Reference's game simulator, we have a 16% chance of beating Appo, thank you very much. Lol.

Union's road is definitely going to be tough. As long as they stay healthy, they'll be competitive against DR and Appo.

Lol!  Fair enough.  However I have used that as well and I think last year it picked Union to beat Eastside 98-0.  :D

I am not sold on Turner as a head coach at all, he chokes in big games. If Union doesn't win the title with Mitchell they never will. To win a state title you must have elite talent and a distinct advantage some where on the field you can exploit, Union has Mitchell and he is a legit D1 talent, Union doesn't have two or three of him and that is what you need to win now. Union has struggled with mobile QB's and just about all they will face from the second on. If you get them outside of Bullitt Park they are pretty average in the playoffs. Oh and yes I have seen Union play this season three times. 

I am not sold on Turner as a head coach at all, he chokes in big games. If Union doesn't win the title with Mitchell they never will. To win a state title you must have elite talent and a distinct advantage some where on the field you can exploit, Union has Mitchell and he is a legit D1 talent, Union doesn't have two or three of him and that is what you need to win now. Union has struggled with mobile QB's and just about all they will face from the second on. If you get them outside of Bullitt Park they are pretty average in the playoffs. Oh and yes I have seen Union play this season three times. 

They have always struggled with mobile QBs going back to the beginning.

I don't think that Turner "chokes". He does tend to get conservative with a lead against quality opponents. Like Richlands this year and Glenvar last year. Looking back at all the playoff losses Union has had, I don't think any of them can be blamed on Turner.

2011 - Union simply wasn't good enough to make a run

2012 - Kids worked all week on the Draft onsides/squib kicks, that ultimately won that game. Kids didn't execute. They were told to fall on the ball, yet a couple kept trying to pick it up and run.

2013 - Kids were over confident and expected GC to simply "lose". Several said as much after the game. Even a few quotes to that effect in the paper. Coaches told them GC was coming to play and would bust them in the mouth.

2014 - Rebuilding year, and, take it for what it's worth, several seniors on that team said they were "ready for basketball" before and after the game at Glenvar.

2015 - Clarke's line was simply stronger and better. If you can blame coaching at all here it would have been on the DC's plan to stop the wing. Those kids were NOT prepared at all.

Guess we'll find out what happens this year.

When a team loses because they weren't prepared then you can blame the coach. When a team is prepared and kids simply don't execute the plan, do you still blame the coaches??

Yeah, I have. Actually I've praised Union on here the whole season for the talent they have on both sides of the ball and how good of a team they are. Not sure how you missed all them positive post I've made about Union this season.

If so, how did you come up with the idea Union doesn't have as many athletes as RHS/GHS?

At this point, Union can beat anybody.  At the beginning of the season they were OK, but that team has improved significantly. But, I seriously hope everyone will continue to overlook or discount them, because it's a lot easier to play loose when you are the underdog than it is to deal with the pressure of being the favorite.

I hope I am wrong, but the teams coming up on that side of the bracket have speed to burn and speed doesn't take days off. I guess I am guilty of comparing Travis to Tom, his dad was a masterful head coach, and was my favorite to watch, Phil had all the athlete's at PV but Turner had the best teams.

I think you underestimate Graham. I have them in then state final. .

You misunderstood my post. I feel more comfortable, as do most of my friends, with Richlands playing Graham rather than Union. That's not to say Richlands is going to beat Graham, but that I can point to certain advantages that Richlands may have if they meet again. I feel that along the line of scrimmage Richlands is a little better. I'm sure that Graham has improved there, but Richlands did have that advantage in the first game. Another aspect is team psychology. futbolking mentioned that the matchup with Richlands scares him to death. I understand what he feels. He mentioned coaching, and that will come into play, but there's also the reality that Graham hasn't defeated Richlands in 9 years, and there's a knowledge of that history within the minds of players from both teams. That plays to the advantage of Richlands. Conversely, three straight wins on the last play of the game provides a mental edge to the Union players versus the Blue Tornado. I'm not underestimating Graham, they're very good, and I would favor them versus Union. I'd just rather not play the Bears.

I hope I am wrong, but the teams coming up on that side of the bracket have speed to burn and speed doesn't take days off. I guess I am guilty of comparing Travis to Tom, his dad was a masterful head coach, and was my favorite to watch, Phil had all the athlete's at PV but Turner had the best teams.

Can't argue about the speed. Union has a tough road ahead. Funny you mention Tom. All I hear is how Travis is "just like his dad" or "has too much of his dad in him." Lol. I think you are right about Tom being a masterful coach. For a school with 250 kids in it, Appalachia was incredibly competitive.

I think Travis has done an outstanding job considering where PV and Appy both were prior consolidation. One thing that Tom had that may be missing from Union is that "go for the throat mentality". I was there when Appy beat Pound 78-0 in the playoffs. One thing is for sure, Tom usually left little doubt who the better team was.

But its not like Union is slow, and DL penetration can stop that speed in then backfield. Mitchell, Fannon, Owens and Jenkins have legit speed, and I'm not sure DR can match the physicality of Union at the LOS. I'm not sold on Turner as an elite coach either, time management can be an issue and as stated above, not going in for the kill can be costly.

But if you followed preseason, most thought Union was a year away. Turner will be more experienced at QB and Mitchell/Jeb Stidham return. But I wouldn't count the Bears out against anyone.

I disagree with that. Turner had his fair share of talent as well, and at their absolute best, Phil had the better team, 1997.

Phil doesn't get enough credit for being a master motivator and game planner. He won seven state titles, four with the Joneses and three without (85, 89-90).

They have always struggled with mobile QBs going back to the beginning.

I don't think that Turner "chokes". He does tend to get conservative with a lead against quality opponents. Like Richlands this year and Glenvar last year. Looking back at all the playoff losses Union has had, I don't think any of them can be blamed on Turner.

2011 - Union simply wasn't good enough to make a run

2012 - Kids worked all week on the Draft onsides/squib kicks, that ultimately won that game. Kids didn't execute. They were told to fall on the ball, yet a couple kept trying to pick it up and run.

2013 - Kids were over confident and expected GC to simply "lose". Several said as much after the game. Even a few quotes to that effect in the paper. Coaches told them GC was coming to play and would bust them in the mouth.

2014 - Rebuilding year, and, take it for what it's worth, several seniors on that team said they were "ready for basketball" before and after the game at Glenvar.

2015 - Clarke's line was simply stronger and better. If you can blame coaching at all here it would have been on the DC's plan to stop the wing. Those kids were NOT prepared.

I'll agree with u except in 2014, Union played great vs Glenvar and should have won minus the 7 picks or however many they were. And can't imagine any kids from appy or BSG wanting football to end for basketball

Phil had all the athlete's at PV but Turner had the best teams.

Head to head records indicate otherwise, but I'm not going to touch that. These two towns have come together really well even though both teams were rivals...prolly the hottest rivalry SWVA has ever known. Most everyone have moved past the "who was better than who" arguments, and it is best for the kids and communities to leave it that way.

As far as coaching goes, Travis is a fine coach. At times in the past, the shortcomings of some of the assistants are magnified...and Travis sometimes struggles managing the clock, but overall he's fine and the perfect guy for the Bears. As for being elite, time will tell.

One other thing, BigWinners is right about Phil. Concerning the way he and his accomplishments are viewed, sometimes hatred blinds folks that didn't like him. But, I will tell you this: When he put a team on the field, they were motivated and focused...and each guy knew what he had to do to help the team win. There was never a time that practice didn't get his teams ready..because most of the time it was 70% learning and 30% applying what you learned...and come game time what you had been taught was on point. A coach doesn't collect 7 State Titles in 14 years if they aren't elite...and back then the quality of everything about the PV program from athletes, coaches, quality of practice etc etc was exactly that.

If so, how did you come up with the idea Union doesn't have as many athletes as RHS/GHS?

Overall Graham does have more athletes than Richlands and Union. Even though Graham lost to Richlands I still feel Graham has more athletes but Richlands outcoached Graham and they won cause of that. That's where I get Richlands has great coaching methods and adjusting and preparing the players. Union has athletes and good ones but their not as stacked as Graham. That doesn't mean I don't think Union would get run over, actually I think they could play or maybe beat Graham or Richlands again if they played. Really your making a bigger deal outta my post than it really is. 

I'll agree with u except in 2014, Union played great vs Glenvar and should have won minus the 7 picks or however many they were. And can't imagine any kids from appy or BSG wanting football to end for basketball

If it weren't for the teachers that heard them talking about it before the game, and then one of the kids telling my daughter's boyfriend after the game, I wouldn't have thought it myself. It was pretty widespread at the HS.

Like I said, take it for what it's worth.

If it weren't for the teachers that heard them talking about it before the game, and then one of the kids telling my daughter's boyfriend after the game, I wouldn't have thought it myself. It was pretty widespread at the HS.

Like I said, take it for what it's worth.

That was indeed the case, unfortunately. It was a huge discussion every day at school.

Overall Graham does have more athletes than Richlands and Union. Even though Graham lost to Richlands I still feel Graham has more athletes but Richlands outcoached Graham and they won cause of that. That's where I get Richlands has great coaching methods and adjusting and preparing the players. Union has athletes and good ones but their not as stacked as Graham. That doesn't mean I don't think Union would get run over, actually I think they could play or maybe beat Graham or Richlands again if they played. Really your making a bigger deal outta my post than it really is.

Who does Graham have thus year that wasn't there last season?

Who does Graham have thus year that wasn't there last season?

I think it's a matter of what's happening there, rather than who's there....

They have a quarterback who is a running threat as well as a passing threat.  they have a running back in Cousin who is much stronger than last season and is taking more of a "team" role.  Graham has multiple threats this year.  Taymon Cooke has emerged to be as much if not more of a threat than Cousin.  They have a much improved defense and their overall team speed is much better.  They have a couple of guys that can come in behind Cousin at RB that are just a step behind him and would start for most teams in the area in Reed and Chinault.  The line, although smaller than last season is much more athletic and more agressive and have more speed.  Cam Allen is a threat to run it, throw it, return it or catch it and take it to the house when he is in the game...  Graham is not a one man show in Cousin....they have about 6 or 7 guys who can take it to the house on any given play.

The improvement that I have seen in Graham in the past 2 seasons has been phenomenol.  Palmer and staff have really turned things around at Graham.  They are more of the mold of the old Graham teams, they like contact....something that was seriously lacking after coach Carlocks passing.  There is a whole lot more at Graham this year, that wasn't there last year.  

I've been watching Graham play for over 40 years, it's been a long time since I've seen a team play "Graham" football, probably since 2005.  You ask what's different....it's that they resemble a "Graham" team now.  Us folks that have been around long enough know what I'm talking about.  Young Graham fans may not know what it was like....but this team is capable of beating anybody that they play.  It's been a long time since I've been able to say that.

High school and college kids improve more from year to year than at any other time in their athletic lives.  You missed the point, again.

I asked a question jackass. I wasn't implying anything, I was curious as to how Graham evolved so much into a legit threat this year.

I think it's a matter of what's happening there, rather than who's there....

They have a quarterback who is a running threat as well as a passing threat.  they have a running back in Cousin who is much stronger than last season and is taking more of a "team" role.  Graham has multiple threats this year.  Taymon Cooke has emerged to be as much if not more of a threat than Cousin.  They have a much improved defense and their overall team speed is much better.  They have a couple of guys that can come in behind Cousin at RB that are just a step behind him and would start for most teams in the area in Reed and Chinault.  The line, although smaller than last season is much more athletic and more agressive and have more speed.  Cam Allen is a threat to run it, throw it, return it or catch it and take it to the house when he is in the game...  Graham is not a one man show in Cousin....they have about 6 or 7 guys who can take it to the house on any given play.

The improvement that I have seen in Graham in the past 2 seasons has been phenomenol.  Palmer and staff have really turned things around at Graham.  They are more of the mold of the old Graham teams, they like contact....something that was seriously lacking after coach Carlocks passing.  There is a whole lot more at Graham this year, that wasn't there last year.  

I've been watching Graham play for over 40 years, it's been a long time since I've seen a team play "Graham" football, probably since 2005.  You ask what's different....it's that they resemble a "Graham" team now.  Us folks that have been around long enough know what I'm talking about.  Young Graham fans may not know what it was like....but this team is capable of beating anybody that they play.  It's been a long time since I've been able to say that.

Thank you, that's exactly nwhat I was asking, how Graham I improved so much from last season until moron from RHS had to chime in.

I asked a question jackass. I wasn't implying anything, I was curious as to how Graham evolved so much into a legit threat this year.

As I said, you missed the point...again.  And stop lying.  You were implying.  And if anyone on this board fits the term "moron" and "jackass", it's you. 

You seem to have a tendency to go off half-cocked at people who disagree with you.  That's totally childish.  Your post history shows your tendency

to use foul language in extreme measures.  I fully expect to be called a vulgar name or two, and that's no surprise.  Just know you're showing your ignorance

when you act like a three-year-old.  We're used to it.  You're a 50-plus year old man in a child's body.  It should be embarrassing to you, but you're not

mature enough to care.  We understand.