Quick Question

swvasportscommenter

Watching and listening to Richlands fans defend transfers is like going to an AA meeting where everybody just fell off of the wagon.

I will once again, refer to the post that I do not care for the trend, but raise the question, what is the solution? Many take advantage of the system; however, I can see circumstances where a parent could make a decision to benefit a child that isn't about athletics (family, discipline, academics).

The truth is this.......fans in Richlands have been drunk on success for a long time.  I am guilty as charged as well.  Kids transfer to Richlands because they want to win....the coaches want to win....the fans want to win...the community wants to win.  You can take every other excuse and piss it in the wind. 

If Richlands fans would put themselves in the shoes of others, may be less back and forth.  However, if other schools would benefit from some transfers..............may be less back and forth as well.

My opinion on this is WELL documented.  I have said if this continues, it would be a detriment to the program.....and you are starting to see it.

Watching and listening to Richlands fans defend transfers is like going to an AA meeting where everybody just fell off of the wagon.

Please explain your feelings as what should be done. Without a hint of sarcasm, I do enjoy reading your posts, and often glean something from them. While sometimes negative, I appreciate the constructive criticism as nobody is perfect and it is often the only way to grow.

To quote scripture as many others-"Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." Proverbs 27:6.

The truth is this.......fans in Richlands have been drunk on success for a long time. I am guilty as charged as well. Kids transfer to Richlands because they want to win....the coaches want to win....the fans want to win...the community wants to win. You can take every other excuse and piss it in the wind.

If Richlands fans would put themselves in the shoes of others, may be less back and forth. However, if other schools would benefit from some transfers..............may be less back and forth as well.

My opinion on this is WELL documented. I have said if this continues, it would be a detriment to the program.....and you are starting to see it.

Again, as my fellow poster said, it took to long to pose my question before seeing your post.

Also,transfers are not going away. In large metro areas...you can travel 10/15 miles and you're in another high school attendance zone. Talented kids talk to other kids on social media and it happens. It's a different world now in HS athletics....it's driven by social media...twitter is the contact and kids are recruiting other kids. In a condensed populated area...there's much more housing and is so easy to move a short distance...it's just the way it is.

The world of high school football is changing.

Exactly. I've never said Richlands' coaches recruit but you're naive to think that the players, parents, & community members don't. That isn't against the rules.

To second what other people have said all of us would love for our schools to get the athletes that Richlands does. I wouldn't turn them away, nor would I expect coach Mance & staff to. I take no issue with this.

I mainly have 2 issues over the transfer ordeal:

1. The kids. - how can you abandon your lifelong friends, The kids you grew up with to transfer to a rival just to chase a ring? My dad brought me up to always see things to the end. I remember being young and him telling me that if something is hard then you stick it out until the end & if you look for an easier way out you'll never get stronger. This Applies here.

2. Fans. - just call it what it is. You get these local transfers because they're there to play football. Don't try to justify it by saying their family "moved" there and they had no choice in the matter. It's been going on for 7 years now, we all know better. If a kid is moving from NC or FL I'm sure they didn't just come to richlands to play ball so that doesn't bother me. But when you've received good athletes from Tazewell, Bluefield, War, and Swords Creek among others just call it like it is. Don't say they "moved" there for other reasons. They're not there because their mothers family is from there. There not there because Richlands has a thriving job market. They're not there because the academics are any better. They're there to play football and win more games than they're used to. Nothing more than that. It's ok to embrace the kids that are playing for your team, & it's also okay to embrace the real reason they're there.

I think coach Mance is an awesome coach and as respectful and nice as anyone I've ever talked to. He's built a hell of a program and I understand why people want to play on his team. I'm not trying to start a fight with these comments. It's not meant to be a shot at anyone in particular on here. I just wish kids had more respect and loyalty to their team, coaches, & community instead of jumping ship the minute a Richlands starter graduates.

Am I the only person that doesn't have any issue with kids transferring in middle school or even after 9th grade, but doing it after their JR years... that's something I just can't support or wrap my mind around(see EH31s post)

Am I the only person that doesn't have any issue with kids transferring in middle school or even after 9th grade, but doing it after their JR years... that's something I just can't support or wrap my mind around(see EH31s post)

i dont see an issue with it if a kid moves to try and help his future out. For example, let's say Tim goes to school at Thomas Walker and is a sophmore and is one of the best pitchers around in baseball. How many scouts would he see at Thomas Walker in his future? Tim's dad gets a new job at the Eastman and they move to Kingsport, Tim plays baseball at Dobyn's Bennett as an outstanding pitcher. His chances as a D1 prospect skyrocket at this point

Exactly. I've never said Richlands' coaches recruit but you're naive to think that the players, parents, & community members don't. That isn't against the rules.

To second what other people have said all of us would love for our schools to get the athletes that Richlands does. I wouldn't turn them away, nor would I expect coach Mance & staff to. I take no issue with this.

I mainly have 2 issues over the transfer ordeal:

1. The kids. - how can you abandon your lifelong friends, The kids you grew up with to transfer to a rival just to chase a ring? My dad brought me up to always see things to the end. I remember being young and him telling me that if something is hard then you stick it out until the end & if you look for an easier way out you'll never get stronger. This Apply's here.

2. Fans. - just call it what it is. You get these local transfers because they're there to play football. Don't try to justify it by saying their family "moved" there and they had no choice in the matter. It's been going on for 7 years now, we all know better. If a kid is moving from NC or FL I'm sure they didn't just come to richlands to play ball so that doesn't bother me. But when you've received good athletes from Tazewell, Bluefield, War, and Swords Creek among others just call it like it is. Don't say they "moved" there for other reasons. They're not there because their mothers family is from there. There not there because Richlands has a thriving job market. They're not there because the academics are any better. They're there to play football and win more games than they're used to. Nothing more than that. It's ok to embrace the kids that are playing for your team, & it's also okay to embrace the real reason they're there.

I think coach Mance is an awesome coach and as respectful and nice as anyone I've ever talked to. He's built a hell of a program and I understand why people want to play on his team. I'm not trying to start a fight with these comments. It's not meant to be a shot at anyone in particular on here. I just wish kids had more respect and loyalty to their team, coaches, & community instead of jumping ship the minute a Richlands starter graduates.

Agreed fully. In a perfect world everything is as it should be, but again those imperfections change dynamics. I, myself, am afraid of being a dinosaur and failing to adjust. Loyalty is now a lacking quality, but I believe the virtue requires both parties. While not the same, the economy is evident of this lack. Very few people and employers show loyalty to one another. Often the way to advance now, is through changing and moving to companies that value your contributions more (often in the form of promotion or pay increases). Many a loyal employee has been cheated out of pensions. While I don't agree, I can see a talented passer or receiver moving to better showcase their talents. Now it maybe wiser to extend loyalty no further than God, family, and community or country, although I have seen circumstances where some have paid for loyalty recently to community.

Let's say Tim is on the radar of some smaller schools while at Thomas Walker.  He goes to Dobyn's Bennett and the reality is, he is not a D 1 prospect and his talent level was pegged correctly to begin with.  Tim had already got interest from Cool College before he transferred.  After he transferred, his loyalty was in question and Cool College withdrew their offer.  Tim now has to settle for Crapola College who only offers "academic" scholarships to baseball players, that he could have went to anyway.

My point is, it could be a double edged sword.  Most of the time, the little Timmy's of the world's Dads are the ones pushing them to transfer.  It is ultimately the parents' decision to move or transfer their kids.  Sometimes it's for the best, sometimes it's not.  That's a gamble the parents are taking.  

I'm not saying it's always a bad thing, maybe more good than bad....but is it a risk worth taking?

Heck, Timmy may end up being the 4th guy in the rotation...

i dont see an issue with it if a kid moves to try and help his future out. For example, let's say Tim goes to school at Thomas Walker and is a sophmore and is one of the best pitchers around in baseball. How many scouts would he see at Thomas Walker in his future? Tim's dad gets a new job at the Eastman and they move to Kingsport, Tim plays baseball at Dobyn's Bennett as an outstanding pitcher. His chances as a D1 prospect skyrocket at this point

If someone living in Ewing gets a job at Eastman then they would be silly not to move to kingsport no matter how good the kid is or isn't. There's no Eastman in Richlands though.

Let's say Tim is on the radar of some smaller schools while at Thomas Walker. He goes to Dobyn's Bennett and the reality is, he is not a D 1 prospect and his talent level was pegged correctly to begin with. Tim had already got interest from Cool College before he transferred. After he transferred, his loyalty was in question and Cool College withdrew their offer. Tim now has to settle for Crapola College who only offers "academic" scholarships to baseball players, that he could have went to anyway.

My point is, it could be a double edged sword. Most of the time, the little Timmy's of the world's Dads are the ones pushing them to transfer. It is ultimately the parents' decision to move or transfer their kids. Sometimes it's for the best, sometimes it's not. That's a gamble the parents are taking.

I'm not saying it's always a bad thing, maybe more good than bad....but is it a risk worth taking?

Heck, Timmy may end up being the 4th guy in the rotation...

^This is often the case.

If someone living in Ewing gets a job at Eastman then they would be silly not to move to kingsport no matter how good the kid is or isn't. There's no Eastman in Richlands though.

what if Tim's mom and dad are split, Tim loves his mom more, but Tim moves to Kingsport to live with his dad for his baseball

what if Tim's mom and dad are split, Tim loves his mom more, but Tim moves to Kingsport to live with his dad for his baseball

Hey, I know that one happens for sure.  Still a risk he's taking if he already has interest at the College level.  A scholarship to ANY college is very valuable.  Very few will go pro in a sport.  Most will use the degrees they earn to make a living for the rest of their lives. Most of the kids that are lucky enough to go D1 may never even set foot on the field.

What if he loves his dad more, but the judge awards custody to the mom because she is a woman and doesn't have a criminal record, but is still a poor decision maker?  Sorry.... just got on a tangent that has nothing to do with this thread at all.

Hey, I know that one happens for sure.  Still a risk he's taking if he already has interest at the College level.  A scholarship to ANY college is very valuable.  Very few will go pro in a sport.  Most will use the degrees they earn to make a living for the rest of their lives. Most of the kids that are lucky enough to go D1 may never even set foot on the field.

I cannot argue this at all. Just my perspective on switching schools, I myself personally don't see anything wrong with a kid trying to better him/herself.

What if he loves his dad more, but the judge awards custody to the mom because she is a woman and doesn't have a criminal record, but is still a poor decision maker?  Sorry.... just got on a tangent that has nothing to do with this thread at all.

Wouldn't surprise me, judicial system is screwed. Lol, not trying to start a debate here at all by any means.

The split household is exhibit A that I reference as a good reason to move. I am thankful to have not been in that situation and wish it occurred less frequently. This is a real life adult example of loyalty needed by both parties.